spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-07 10:47:52: Whether it's their treatment of Google Wallet, the Nexus 7 or the Nexus 5, Verizon Wireless is increasingly making it clear that they're using their position as gatekeeper to engage in anti-competitive behavior -- with few properly calling them out f.. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to sb999

Re: Verizon

Here we go again, the competition which just does not want to i8mprove coverage.
Verizon did not build rural coverage. They BOUGHT it. Remeber the old alltel, company with the largest geographic coverage in the US? Who took them over? Large part went to Verizon, small part to AT&Tea . Verizon ddd not build that much of anything. they just gobbled up what others created.

David_299

@rr.com
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: The best revenge is not being a customer.

The funny thing is a 100,000,000 plus customers don't seem to have you guys' issues or else the product they do provide is far superior because it's sure not the least expensive. What do you think they build their superior network with? Free money? It costs billions.

TheHumanFlaw

@myvzw.com
reply to tmh

Re: The T-1000 reassembles!

Ummm.... ATT is actually swallowing themselves back up. VZW is buying their extra spectrum that the FCC says they must sell.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to jmn1207

Re: Nope

said by jmn1207:

In the end, this is all just one big, ugly battle to tap into the credit card industry's lucrative customer base. Honesty and scruples need not apply.

Let 'em battle. I have absolutely no intention of ever using my "smart"phone as a credit card substitute. I don't trust their security that far. And I certainly trust neither Google nor the likes of Verizon with the info they could snag from that kind of thing.

Jim

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
As if a credit card is not 99 % unsecure? In addition to a PIN, mobile payments also have the same protection as the card being used. People were scared of credit cards and ATM machines when they came out as well.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
I have no problem handing my credit card to some doofus making $9/hour that spends most of their money on tattoos and pot, so I think that I'm ready for my credit card to be on my mobile devices.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
Exactly. I just don't think people understand how unsecure a credit card is and that the credit card companeis _want_ it this way. In addition I don't think they understand how the mobile payment system works. So they just jump to the conclusion that anything new/different is not as secure.

I explain it to people as, the mobile payment is 100% more secure the a credit card and just as secure as a person's (true) debit card. Mobile also has all the same protection as a credit card.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to sb999

I started out with Nextel, mainly because my dad worked for Comcast and they used Nextel so it was convenient to use the radio. When Nextel and Sprint merged, we used that opportunity to "migrate" to Sprint (dad and I wanted smart phones and didn't like what Nextel had to offer) without the ETF issue. Living in Atlanta we never had coverage issues, as long as we were in the metro area. That's the catch to the other carriers, you have to live in a major metro area to get decent coverage.

When we moved to Tucson we had shit for coverage. Our house and office were basically dead zones. If you got 1 bar you were lucky. Looking at a zoomed in picture of Sprint's coverage map for Tucson told us why, there were three distinct radius circles making up the coverage, in other words they appeared to only have three towers covering the entire city.

To make matters worse with Sprint, because we had "atlanta" service, we were hit with "long distance" charges as they called it (really roaming I think) and wound up with a $600 bill in one month. We said screw you and went to Verizon the same day and have been on them ever since (since 2009).

From a device standpoint, I'd MUCH prefer to be with Sprint or AT&T for their better Android phones. The thing is, I can't get good coverage here with them. You know what makes matters worse, with Verizon, I get LTE coverage all the way down here in West Point, GA/Lanett, AL area. Coverage maps (last time I looked at them anyway) don't indicate that but I'm not complaining.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to IPPlanMan

I agree with you in part. Really the only part I don't agree with is your coverage comment. Until other carriers get the coverage of Verizon, you're going to have people that are FORCED to stay with them just to get the coverage they need. That's not an excuse, that's a cold hard fact. I'd LOVE to go to AT&T or Sprint because they have Nexus devices Verizon doesn't but I can't afford the coverage losses. If you have a suggestion to get around that without calling it an "excuse" I'm all ears. And an MVNO like Page Plus is not it, not until they can access the LTE network.

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to Crookshanks

Re: What a shocker!

said by Crookshanks:

Verizon is the hottest woman in the room and until that changes she'll continue to get away with her behavior.

LOL wow i like that. If you dont mind i will be using that!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to IPPlanMan

There is always a last laugh. TracFone has more members than any single provider in North America. I left the Vulture for this product. It works just as well or better where I live than the old provider does today.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to sb999

It is people like you that keep companies like Verizon in business and prevent upstarts from competing. Excuses, excuses, you're still feeding the pig. Depending on where your coverage sucks, there are several things you can try. Mobile antenna, repeaters, wifi calling(all my lines use my GV anyways, but T-Mobile, ironically, is the 1 carrier with strong coverage at my house, though not the strongest everywhere. So I used the wifi option when I had others carriers before T-Mo). There is femtocells too, but are a ripoff given wifi is cheaper. Verizon's coverage here is about equal to AT&T, which are both pretty good. However, the difference is not appreciable enough to me for me to do business with either of those bleeding sods again.
--
Dedicating my signature to help my big bro in his new upstart by asking people to come like his Facebook page and help spread the word(not a FB user myself). »www.facebook.com/mikethecomputermechanic

zzzzzzzz1

@rr.com
reply to IPPlanMan

Exellent Karl!!!

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

run and don't look back - you have many other options

This is exactly why I got rid of Verizon Wireless in 2005. We gave them a fair chance to improve, but fair is obviously not part of their vocabulary. I know they don't have to be fair. But I don't need to throw away my hard earned cash to support their nonsense. It IS MY phone, even if I bought it from them. What I do with it is my business.

Paladin
Sage of the light

join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL
reply to Selenia

That's not it, that's T-Mobile's lack of rural investment and EDGE. Expecting someone to use EDGE in 2013 because you don't want them to "feed the pig" is ridiculous. Coverage isn't the issue most of the time, data connections are. In Chester Illinois, Verizon has LTE while AT&T has weak HSPA that drops connections, T-Mobile has EDGE, and Sprint has no native service. Guess which provider dominates my home town!

I'd love to go to T-Mobile but until they can have fast DC-HSPA at the least, there's simply no chance of me going to them. That's the problem most of us rural dwellers use, and frankly seeing that your town is EDGE, I don't know why you stick with them either.

Paladin
Sage of the light

join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL
reply to BiggA

Re: Why are they not open?

Yes, but if you buy a device on contract, unlocking it through them is like pulling teeth. That's better than Verizon but unfortunately that isn't saying much.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
That's not the point. If you bring an N5 to AT&T, it will work just fine. No need to even tell AT&T what you're doing, you just swap the SIM and go. Verizon is a pseudo-closed network, which is stupid, especially given that practically speaking, you can sort of SIM swap with data-only LTE devices.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Paladin

They have 3G/4G in most places I frequent, though it is not on their map. At home, where it is EDGE, I have excellent wifi. EDGE is not that bad if used well, but is horrible if not used well. I don't run background data tasks that don't need be running. I used good caching and data compression where possible. T-Mobile EDGE may be a downgrade from AT&T in data speed but was an upgrade in call quality and call stability, as well as unlimited for a lower price. I can stream my radio stations flawlessly on the go in my car, which is my single biggest consumption of mobile data, so I'm happy. I use the Yourmuze app along with Hola. Transcodes to a fine sounding AAC+ stream while Hola caches and compresses web content. Let's not forget Opera Mini either for browsing. I am not stuck on EDGE data perse most of the time(home is EDGE but again, excellent wifi), but most of the time that I am, I am driving with streaming radio, which works just fine for me. Why should I pay for more 4G coverage I don't really need at the expense of coverage gaps(Verizon, though not huge ones but enough to cut off important calls on me) or unclear/dropped calls even in good coverage(AT&T)? Sprint, don't make me laugh.
--
Dedicating my signature to help my big bro in his new upstart by asking people to come like his Facebook page and help spread the word(not a FB user myself). »www.facebook.com/mikethecomputermechanic

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

just like Ma Bell

It's back to the days where they seemed to claim you'd bring down the whole city's telephone network if you connected your own phone to your phone line, instead of the set they wanted to lease to you. AFAIK, the Nexus 7 has been FCC approved. It is proven that these slabs operate just fine if an already activated SIM is put in them, so the only real hurdle is bureaucratic BS.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!