dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-12 10:12:04: Last week new leaks emerged revealing that the CIA has been paying AT&T $10 million annually for private user call data -- in addition to AT&T's already disclosed domestic spy program cooperation. ..

elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

The Wrong Focus, as Usual

The incessant harping by the media on the subject ignores the fundamental flaw in their complaint: Telco exists because government allows it to; they sell the data because it would be taken anyway, or they would be shut down in one form or another.

Why isn't the MSM scrutinizing the government, instead?

After all, wasn't it DOJ that went fishing and "tapped" over a dozen AP reporters phone records?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Not that this 'revelation' will make one iota of difference

SSDD

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

Knowledge is power

Get enough people together to class action against AT&T, and if the courts hold it up (they can't rightly deny it, otherwise ANYONE could take anyone elses information and sell it, including legalizing data theft and sale of credit card information). People just have to stand up for themselves and force it, they are far to compliant.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I wonder if I could sell Verizon proprietary information to the highest bidder since they also seem to be open to 'information sharing'? Certainly I could be fired for it but it isn't like it is classified or anything. Locations of important government/financial fiber optic lines... passwords to various systems, internal phone numbers, etc. I am sure there are various groups that would pay handsomely for such knowledge.

If we are going to live in an age where our personal information is no longer consider our own once we share it with anyone then the companies that choose to live by that model should be prepared for the precedent they are setting.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

quote:
If we are going to live in an age where our personal information is no longer consider our own once we share it with anyone then the companies that choose to live by that model should be prepared for the precedent they are setting.
Silly, the rule of law only applies to you, not them.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

What ISP, tech, and credit company don't do it alreay

It seems to me all of them are selling information in form or the other. The CIA is just buying it like the private sector do.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

Glad I don't have them

I have banned att service at my house. Hell I'd like the phone wire off my house too. Oh by the way, as a customer with att, you have no rights, so ditch them creeps if you can!

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

Law

The government is above the law, didn't you know that?
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2

Two words...

Retroactive immunity.

zerog_anon
@yahoo.com

zerog_anon to elray

Anon

to elray

Re: The Wrong Focus, as Usual

looks like a standard lawyering tactic to me: flank 'em!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Ya think?

And why are we surprised at this?
stewie3128
join:2008-11-20

stewie3128 to Probitas

to Probitas

Re: Knowledge is power

Customers can't class-action sue AT&T anymore... It's in the service contract. Assholes.

GTECONTEL
@charter.com

GTECONTEL to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA

Re: Ya think?

Because the libertarians among us envision their world where everyone builds and pays for their own cell phone network so they can sell your data to private companies instead of the govt. that they hate.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 edit

meeeeeeeeee to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

You mean like Snowden and the rest? Where did it get them? Exiled, imprisoned, Enemies of the State. Just be quiet and keep supporting the Party comrade.
ackman
join:2000-10-04
Atlanta, GA

ackman

It's too late

The prior administration, specifically GWB, stated that "the US Constitution is just a G-- D--- piece of paper", and the current administration supports that notion. Look at how Obama has gone after prosecuting whistle-blowers, whose only act was to expose lawbreaking by the federal government. The Supreme Court was stacked with hard-line right wingers, so they won't change it. It's going to take some sort of major cultural/societal shift in the US for the rule of law to return to the federal level.
briguy1
join:2013-11-12
USA

briguy1 to stewie3128

to stewie3128

Actually that doesn't mean very much. Most companies service contracts state there must be a mediation period before a lawsuit, you can find recent class actions lawsuits against ATT for other things.

Giving up your right to sue isn't something you can easily sign away especially in the case of the broad contracts that companies like ATT provide to their customers. They want people like you to think you signed it away so that you don't even try to get a lawyer.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to GTECONTEL

Premium Member

to GTECONTEL

Re: Ya think?

huh?