dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-15 10:41:31: As promised, the FCC has released a new speed test app that will allow them to collect data on the performance of wireless networks. ..

FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker

Premium Member

How many GB will it use?

For a while the SamKnows box was using 100+GB / month on the network to do testing. Any idea how it will be configured for wireless?

Can't they get data from Ookla with all the speedtest clients?
Will they measure cellular vs wifi?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

Having just installed the app, it has a default mobile data limit of 100MB a billing month (WiFi is not included in the limit), you can change the limit and you billing date in the app.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

About how much data is used each time you run a speedtest with the app?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

I've run 2 tests (all tests, down-up-latency-packet loss) since yesterday, testing ONLY the Sprint 3G network (only network in my area) and have used 6.27 MBs total.

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Not accurate

So far the first tests aren't accurate. I'm using our 5G wireless network and not even close. The wireless has a 700meg connection each direction and I get 14 meg on the test.

Try again folks!
fossilz
join:2001-03-20
Port Charlotte, FL

fossilz

No thanks

I wouldn't trust anything from the Government.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to newview

to newview

Re: How many GB will it use?

Mine used 13.4 on 1 test using a T-mobile LTE phone, data usage is going to vary quite a bit based on your network speed.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to Yucca Servic

Anon

to Yucca Servic

Re: Not accurate

Huh? 5G doesn't exist, and no wireless supports 700 meg. Unless you mean you're on 802.11ac 5.8GHz but this app is designed to test MOBILE NETWORKS

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic
On my FiOS wifi I got 57.74 mbps/33.80 Mbps which is just about right, I have the 50/25 package.

My T-mobile LTE speeds are just about right 5 down / 5 up which is what I normallly get on the speedtest.net app in my apartment with a weak signal)

There server's may not be about to handle 700mbps, but they seem more than sufficient for testing mobile broadband speeds and the vast majority of residential broadband.
CJ777
join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

Pretty accurate for me...

Click for full size
FCC test
These are the same speeds I get from speedtest.net and other sites I've tried. Verizon 4G has gone to hell here in my area. Even at around 3am the speeds are not much better.
CJ777

1 recommendation

CJ777 to fossilz

to fossilz

Re: No thanks

said by fossilz:

I wouldn't trust anything from the Government.

They have all your info anyways!

DocsisCat
Premium Member
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

DocsisCat

Premium Member

LOL .... Good one, ... but TRUE.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to CJ777

Premium Member

to CJ777
said by CJ777:

They have all your info anyways!

They may have it anyway, but I'm not about to give it to them willingly like that!

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Location of Base Station Lat/Long

Does anyone know how to interpret the base station Lat/Long? When I used the FCC speed test. I really would like to know where it is located. Thanks The test came back Lat 33252 Long 29254

Mitchell
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

The lat 34.302766 and long -79.871169 will put you at the Darlington Courthouse Square in Google Earth and Maps. Putting those numbers in the Google converter does not come up with any major number system close to the numbers you posted. Not surprising for a Gov system. Why not use an app like RootMetrics or OpenSignal. The problem is every program only gets a small database because they all start at zero. Factchecker is right Ookla probability has the biggest database especially in small towns and rural areas.