spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-21 14:21:39: Sprint has talked a lot about improving the customer experience after the Nextel fiasco, but judging from the latest Consumer Reports study, consumers don't appear to agree. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to JasonOD

Re: Sprint is dead.

VZW will; $1,000 application fee.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/abou···ndex.jsp

Meet the requirements and you're on.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to McShaken

Re: Just Left Sprint

When did they start requiring you to show proof? I know VZW requires you to show proof but have never seen that with Sprint. And locking you into another contract without signing a new one was settled by Sprint and they were smacked heavily for that by the courts.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to silbaco

Re: Consumer Reports....

Consumer Reports has been like that for several years now. JD Power as well. They'll take the highest bidder regardless of what happens.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to KrK

CR is not neutral. They're paid for by those other companies. Having sold products in the past that they claimed where the best on the market yet were a POS I know how they stand.

They're as bad as JD Power.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

AARP & Consumer

Does Consumers Cellular have anything to do with winning since they're "endorsed" by the AARP. After all, it would seem that more of that generation would be members of AARP than younger ones. Besides they'd be the only ones to buy into the whole Consumer Reports and take the time to do the surveys. Younger people could careless to do those for the most part.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Sprint blows!

I just switched from Sprint and I love T-Mobile! On Sprint in South Florida I would get like 0.20-0.60 download and half that for upload on 3G and that was when the test didn't time out. On LTE I would get between 1-2Mb down and half that up. So Sprint was providing 3G speeds on LTE and some towers simply broadcast LTE and have no throughput. I would sometimes get a burst of up to 6Mb if I was within sight of the tower. Also I live in a Spark Sprint area which is supposed to get 50Mb down but I couldn't even get normal LTE! I just left two weeks ago so they haven't upgraded since then either. How are they going to do 50Mb down when they can't even do more than 2Mb?! What a joke! With T-Mobile I get 10-20Mb down and 1-5Mb up on HSPDA+ and 10-30Mb down and 5-15Mb up on LTE! Its amazing! And LTE is everywhere but if I reach an area that's not I get HSPDA! YAY! Plus the signal penetration is so much better as I get signal indoors everywhere now! I got a Note 3 and I'm actually paying less than Sprint now (and I was getting a 25% discount with Sprint too)!

When I was leaving Sprint they didn't even offer me anything to stay. Also I had two friends who left around the same time I did and they ignored us all. One account had 3 phones on it too! Sprint doesn't care about its customers and it shows which is why they are losing customer s hand over fist! All you have to do is read any site online or forum and you'll see Sprint is always being complained about, mainly because of their slow network. Maybe one day they will have a great network due to their superior spectrum setup, but I don't see that happening in the next 5 years as they are so far behind! They also need to stop selling to so many other MVNO's! There are literally like 50 companies who use the Sprint network!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Eek2121

join:2002-10-12
Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to BiggA

Re: Sprint is always promising they're fixing the issues.

Really does depend on the area. My rural area? 5 bars of LTE. Generator backed cell towers (had full LTE even during Sandy). Very fast (15-30 megs a second down, 5-15 megs/sec up.) AT&T? 3g speeds to this day around 3 megs a second, and 2-3 bars in most places. Also, all my AT&T using iPhone coworkers were borrowing my android phone when sandy killed the power to AT&T's towers. I'm not a verizon fanboy, i think they are committing highway robbery, but if the big V is the devil, the big T is the devil's father.

Sprint? They have the potential to be so great, but will always end up falling flat. Unlike most people, i don't want unlimited data, i want fast internet access at an affordable price. Freedompop 'somewhat' delivers on that, though they seem to be running a scam operation these days. Republic Wireless takes full advantage of sprint's shortcomings by providing wifi calling, but i wonder just how long sprint will tolerate that.
--
My beta Ruby on Rails tutorial site!

Eek2121

Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to TBBroadband

A data-dedicated network. The Verizon Wireless EV-DO network is optimized for data-only services.

i.e. 3g only. So, while technically you are right, no LTE to be found.
--

Eek2121

Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to Bartt

Re: At&t

How long ago did you try? I cancelled T-Mobile due to billing issues (and they sent my account to collections, refused to listen to me...I'll never pay them. They can take it up the ass) but at the time i cancelled, they had HSPDA throughout most of the burbs. Even as far away as I am from NYC I was getting decent speeds. This was a year ago.
--

Eek2121

Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to KrK

Amen to that. Without getting all political, it's amazing how misinformed the general public really is. After all...Just for kicks...if anyone bothered looking into anything, you'd know that 'obamacare' is really 'romneycare'. Not that facts matter or anything.
--

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to amarryat

Re: Give them some time

A third-rate wireless carrier buying another third-rate wireless carrier doesn't make the "#1 phone company in the world". As a current Softbank customer and a previous Sprint customer several years ago, they're a perfect match.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Rakeesh

Re: Sprint is always promising they're fixing the issues.

Meh I'm in downtown Phoenix and I get approx 20Mbps from the 5x5 LTE Sprint installed so I'm happy.

The east valley is an absolute mess but I do not have any issues once I leave Phoenix and I never go to Tempe, Mesa, or Scottsdale so I don't care, it'll get done eventually

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Issues, Issues, Issues

I was moved to Sprint from T-Mobile by my employer back in 2011. They pay the bill so I basically have to put up with whatever Sprint does. Except for when Sandy hit, I have never had good data speeds and have been leaving the data switch on iPhone turned off for almost two years now. I have consumed probably a grand total of 500MB in all that time costing about $1/MB considering how much we have paid for my add-on account data service in that time ($10 data + $10 premium data times 25 months). I find that I cannot even reliably stream 128kbps audio feeds while driving in a well covered area of Long Island.

My second gripe is not being able to unlock my paid off iPhone 4S. Sprint had been claiming it was their policy to never unlock it. Then they claimed even if it was unlocked it would not work with T-Mobile or AT&T. Now they are claiming it is a specially engineered version of the 4S they sell that cannot be unlocked and cannot work with domestic U.S. GSM carriers. Honestly, I am tired of their BS. People have their Sprint iPhone's unlocked through alternative means and they work fine. Put a foreign SIM into your Sprint iPhone 4S and it works fine roaming on either AT&T or T-Mobile. Screwy Sprint firmware? Maybe. If so and it is true their firmware somehow has problems with domestic U.S. SIM's, then Sprint iPhone's are a crippled Apple device IMHO and not worth the money being paid for them. They already have the lowest resale value.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to amarryat

Same company, new face. They'll still have the same issues until someone steps up and redoes management in the US. And they still are Sprint-Nextel.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Rakeesh

They could have taken Wimax and deployed it all over the country. but they didn't and sold that network off to ClearWire and become an MVNO. Clear couldn't fund the deployments anymore. But the network did work. If they had the $$$ they could have went with it. They even offered out door modems.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to amarryat

Until they fully change, yes they are the same company. Who in their right mind shuts down their tech support option when calling in??? You call into *2 or any number and go to Tech Support- any time of the day- and you get they are closed. You have to be transferred into them now by Telesales. Sprint even will tell you they know about this but nothing that can be done, and it ONLY happened AFTER the buyout. Stop trying to sell your customers new products when they have products already that don't work.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Eek2121

MVNOs are starting to offer LTE over VZW.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Eek2121

Very true! Even Romney refuses to admit the law is written off his own law that he passed and signed himself being the Gov. of Mass. But everyone likes to over look that part and just hate on Obama for it.

McShaken
Premium
join:2006-02-20
Olympia, WA
reply to TBBroadband

They require you to show proof if you're company's email address isn't in their automated system. This also goes for benefits not tied to employment (membership at Costco, credit unions, etc.).

Not sure your information regarding the settlement is correct (or Sprint is ignoring the court's orders) since I clearly read on the verification page just a few weeks ago that re-verifying the discount would start a new 2 year contract with Sprint. Here's a link to Sprint's own message board talking about this subject:
»community.sprint.com/baw/thread/···tstart=0

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TBBroadband

Re: AARP & Consumer

Consumer Cellular is simply a MVNO of AT&T, they don't have a network of their own for Consumer Reports to rate.

Their AARP affiliation only takes 5% off the bill, if you join AARP.

It's nothing more than AT&T's GoPhone service in disguise.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
reply to openbox9

I thought I read that Son turned Softbank from the #3 phone company in Japan to #1 in a matter of afew years.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

Marshfield, MA
reply to TBBroadband

They aren't. They are Sprint Corporation. There is no Nextel.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to xenophon

There you go again about the 800mhz. It might sound good on paper and in theory however, Sprint has NEVER seen any big project through 100% (ION, Nextel, WiMax). Billions spent, millions of customers lost and nothing to show for it. They were, since they took over Nextel and still are a worthless cell phone provider that couldn't provide us with a good 3G much less LTE signal even if Verizon handed to'em. Just sayin..

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to elefante72

Re: You get what you pay for!

LMAO

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI

1 edit
reply to trparky

Thants because most other providers are not stupid enough to take them onboard. But what happened to ESPN, Brighthouse, Roadrunner, Commcast? Now, they sell a lot to republic wireless and VM (and a few others )

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to McShaken

said by McShaken:

They require you to show proof if you're company's email address isn't in their automated system. This also goes for benefits not tied to employment (membership at Costco, credit unions, etc.).

Well that explains a lot. It's a way to weed out the freeloaders. Can't blame them for that and if the discount was worth it, I wouldn't b1tch. And who's to say your "company" doesn't pizz big red off or big red changes the rules in 18 months. Your back at square one except after your discount, will you be paying MORE then had you just walked in off the street and got a plan?

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to silbaco

Agree. They tried to tell me my 1993 Plymouth Voyager was something to stay aware from. Drove it for 15 years. And they told me the 1991 Honda Accord was better then sliced bread. The health record and visits to the repair shop proved them wrong. The car just rotted in the drive way. Had too much tied up in it to try and sell it. Teen drove it till the rear bumper fell off and it leaked so bad, he almost drowned (just kidding but it did leak really bad so the floor rotted). The car was at 190k and 14 years old. The van had 230k when it was donated. Just saying you can't always buy into the hype of these rags.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to amarryat

They call themselves Sprint-Nextel. Call and listen to their ads on their system. Now with Sprint-Nextel and Thanks for choosing Sprint-Nextel.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to KA3SGM

Re: AARP & Consumer

I never said they weren't an MVNO. And they're not the only MVNO on AT&T. But having Consumer Cellular being selected by CR shows that the people that were generally surveyed where probably in that age range to have AARP and get that discount. After all that is their target market.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

Marshfield, MA
reply to TBBroadband

That just means they haven't updated that system. The name was changed in July and Nextel is no longer.