dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-21 18:51:14: While AT&T has been winning most of the recent LTE speed tests, T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray is promising that will soon change. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

borka

speed with caps is useless.

I don't understand these companies they all compete like crazy on the speed of their networks, who cares if even I can get 1000 megabits on LTE? All this speed is completely useless with the caps they got in place now.
5 mega bits or 50 megabits on a phone or tablet makes no difference whatsoever.

they should start competing on who gives the largest data allotment not the fastest speed

tommyanon
@comcast.net

tommyanon

Anon

said by borka:

they should start competing on who gives the largest data allotment not the fastest speed

exactly
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to borka

to borka
I did hit 70Mbps on AT&T here in SoCal, but to tell you the truth - I currently have no need for it. It only allows me to hit my CAP (still on unlimited) faster. Latency is good, and I can run what I want, and not pay for overages, and have coverage where I need it - that's all I really care about.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to borka

Premium Member

to borka
Speed is all about capacity. To the user the fallacy is that they will get those speeds. In reality it just means a minor speed bump for all users until more users are added into the network. The real improvements are latency for a snappier internet even at low speeds and better coverage per tower compared to 3G networks.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to borka

to borka
Exactly and the same issue pertains to broadband connections as well.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to borka

Premium Member

to borka
It's T-Mobile. My plan with them includes no speed caps.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Caps are not for the speed of the connection.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to borka

to borka
ahmm 70 mbit rocks especially tethering... and Tmo gives ya unlimited 4g data, I burn roughly 12 Gigs tethering to my daughters ipad on road trips with her watching netflix and youtube. They never bother me about it.
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to 34764170

to 34764170
no on tmobile there is no bandwidth limits either.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by BosstonesOwn:

no on tmobile there is no bandwidth limits either.

Your connection has to have bandwidth limits. Connections don't work on magic. Bandwidth = speed of your connection (.e.g. 50Mbps). What you really meant to say was there are no traffic allowance limits. Both of you tried to express the same idea but used the words improperly so the sentences didn't make any sense.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

No artificial bandwidth limits either. T-Mobile lets users go as fast as the LTE carrier will take them, if you're running on a smartphone.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Your connection cannot not have bandwidth limits. That word doesn't mean what you think it does. Sure they do but there is still a limit, your phone can't all of a sudden have a 1Gbps connection to the tower.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

2x20, and they are throttling it, but only for a degree of QOS to users

2x20 is more than capable of 100Mbps+ speeds, their equipment is already LTE-A ready, just most phones don't support LTE-A yet.

How can I only get a mere get a mere 30Mbps download on only a 2x5 LTE setup, but 2x20 is only offering 80 Mbps?

These guys are smart as all hell, they know what they're doing
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

shmerl to borka

to borka

Re: speed with caps is useless.

T-Mobile has capless $70/month plan. I don't understand why they need caps on lower price plans altogether, but at least they have a truly unlimited option.
shmerl

shmerl to djdanska

to djdanska
You probably meant data caps (per month). Bandwidth is naturally limited, at least by the load.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

2 recommendations

BosstonesOwn to 34764170

to 34764170
uncapped bandwidth means you get the max the handset is capable at times, this changes depending on load, hence unlimited bandwidth of the technology.
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to 34764170

to 34764170
Your trying for semantics and failing
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 34764170

to 34764170
Yes, I am using the word differently. I know that 20x20 has higher bandwidth than 10x10, and thus has more capacity.

All I'm saying is that T-Mobile doesn't throttle their connections, at any point, if you get their $70/mo unlimited plan. Nor does Sprint, for that matter, on any of their plans (they just charge more on the limited plans that they have). The difference is that T-Mobile 20x20 is faster than Sprint Spark is at the moment (20x20 is hitting 70 Mbps and Sprint Spark is 50-60 real world).
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn
You're failing at writing a sentence that makes sense.

34764170 (banned) to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn
Wow, you really go out of your way to say things in a convoluted manner.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 edit

TBBroadband to 34764170

to 34764170
Why not? Clear does this on their WiMax offering for customers that still have that plan that signed up before Sprint took over. The unlimited data plan for home use had no data download limits. You got what the tower could give you and 1meg upload.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TBBroadband:

Why not? Clear does this on their WiMax offering for customers that still have that plan that signed up before Sprint took over. The unlimited data plan for home use had no data download limits. You got what the tower could give you and 1meg download.

Yes, and 1Mbps download is the bandwidth limit.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

T-Mobile Rocks!

I just switched from Sprint and I love T-Mobile! On Sprint in South Florida I would get like 0.20-0.60 download and half that for upload on 3G and that was when the test didn't time out. On LTE I would get between 1-2Mb down and half that up. So Sprint was providing 3G speeds on LTE and some towers simply broadcast LTE and have no throughput. I would sometimes get a burst of up to 6Mb if I was within sight of the tower. Also I live in a Spark Sprint area which is supposed to get 50Mb down but I couldn't even get normal LTE! I just left two weeks ago so they haven't upgraded since then either. How are they going to do 50Mb down when they can't even do more than 2Mb?! What a joke! With T-Mobile I get 10-20Mb down and 1-5Mb up on HSPDA+ and 10-30Mb down and 5-15Mb up on LTE! Its amazing! And LTE is everywhere but if I reach an area that's not I get HSPDA! YAY! Plus the signal penetration is so much better as I get signal indoors everywhere now! I got a Note 3 and I'm actually paying less than Sprint now (and I was getting a 25% discount with Sprint too)!

5th

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

1 recommendation

graycorgi

Premium Member

The real joke is that half of my area is still EDGE on T-Mobile I'd probably switch to them if they'd put some HSPA at least in Bristol TN/VA, Elizabethton, TN, and Greeneville, TN. Having only EDGE in those cities is embarrassing, and it performs worse than 1X on Sprint (which is a feat in of itself).

Sprint has the majority of the area on LTE, and while it is not particularly fast, it exists. I think they have to since Bristol Motor Speedway is here and Sprint sponsors NASCAR.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

Tmobile SUCKS

Click for full size
Tmobile FIX THE DAMN COVERAGE IN ARKANSAS IT SUCKS.
Expand your moderator at work

John
@clearwire-wmx.net

John to BosstonesOwn

Anon

to BosstonesOwn

Re: speed with caps is useless.

Oh yes there is... and if you go over it they charge a ton just like everyone else. Until 10 days ago, I used MetroPCS that provides unlimited (they are the only ones I know of besides clear (who no longer sells the devices) and H20) but does the service which I just started.) I talked to about 50 carriers including T-Mobile... none offer unlimited but the above I found. MetroPCS unlimited is for phone only use... you can tether if you 'know how' and for the price no one beats them (but their connection I got anyway, broke too frequently to be used for anything but reading email.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
said by michieru:

Speed is all about capacity. To the user the fallacy is that they will get those speeds. In reality it just means a minor speed bump for all users until more users are added into the network. The real improvements are latency for a snappier internet even at low speeds and better coverage per tower compared to 3G networks.

this. 100 billion times.
this.
tiger72

tiger72 to tommyanon

Premium Member

to tommyanon
they already do?
T-Mobile and Sprint offer unlimited data. VZW and ATT don't.
tiger72

tiger72 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28

Re: Tmobile SUCKS

LOL. Arkansas. That coverage won't be 'fixed' til they have 600mhz or 700mhz spectrum. It'll be a while.
page: 1 · 2 · next