dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-25 18:00:15: Last week reports emerged that the FCC was considering rule changes that would allow users to have cell phone conversations above 10,000 feet. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

swordsman
@205.214.216.x

swordsman

Anon

Data

Let them,

what am i paying sprint for? If I wanna watch netflix on my own phone, I want to. I'm not paying outrageously expensive wifi

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

No Thank You

I haven't been on aircraft in 10 1/2 years and if this passes it could well be another 10 or more years before I would think of venturing onto a plane. That is the nice thing about the New York City subway's lack of cell phone service. While you are on the outdoor elevated portion, such as on the #7, people will be gabbing incessantly. Then you go into the tunnel and all phones stop working followed by silence. And that is for relatively short rides compared to flying in a plane.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby to swordsman

to swordsman

Re: Data

said by swordsman :

Let them,

what am i paying sprint for? If I wanna watch netflix on my own phone, I want to. I'm not paying outrageously expensive wifi

Sprint sux, I went to the moon, No ServICe their, Im goink to Cancol ma sirvice.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

It's OK if they are simply removing restrictions

The last thing I want is a government law/regulation restricting speech.

I'll definitely be choosing the quieter airline, though.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Antennas?

How would this work? Air to ground antennas or aircraft satellite relays (like current WiFi)?

I welcome the ability to use my phone for data to my carrier's antennas and not pay extreme in-flight WiFi prices.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

1 recommendation

tired_runner to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx

Re: No Thank You

The stupidity that will inevitably ensue from this will give air marshalls something to do besides watching out for terrorists.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

vpoko

Premium Member

If it's not a technical issue

If there are no safety or technical issues, then the FCC shouldn't stand in the way. It's not the FCC's role to ensure passenger comfort or enforce manners. Airlines can decide for themselves whether to allow cell conversations, as long as it doesn't create a risk to safety or negatively impact the spectrum.
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to axus

to axus

Re: It's OK if they are simply removing restrictions

Pretty much my opinion. Let the FCC ok it, but if the airlines don't want voice on their plane, let it be their choice. Use the no talking/talking feature as a selling point. Personally, I wouldn't use the phone. Means very little to me. Only if it's a 7 hr plus flight to check on family and stuff. But that's it really.

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx

Re: No Thank You

Ever spend 3 hours on a subway?

(No talking in the... library? [Ever notice how it's only other people's conversations that are "inane"?])
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to Gbcue

to Gbcue

Re: Antennas?

I wouldn't even dare use the phone data. It's probably unreliable and slow. WiFi on planes will only get cheaper and better.
Squire James
join:2013-08-21
Orlando, FL

Squire James

Interesting Points

Initially, I felt just like the first poster. I don't want to be annoyed by a bunch of people gabbing on the phone. Then I thought about it some more, and I changed my mind. We do NOT have a right not to be offended or annoyed by other people's speech. We can, however, vote with out feet, wallets, and TV/radio tuning devices and avoid being annoyed if there is a market for it. The government should not be intervening unless there's actual danger involved.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to swordsman

to swordsman

Re: Data

Oh, you'll pay. They'll install microcells on each plane and relay your connection via a satellite link. And this will be considered roaming, just like on a cruise ship. It's gonna cost, and it'll likely be quite a lot.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy to Gbcue

to Gbcue

Re: Antennas?

A picocell mounted in the cabin - relay to cellco by whatever method the airline is using for broadband (satellite or dedicated radio). You will pay to use this - your cellco will treat it like a roaming call.

me2342
@icentrix.com

me2342 to Squire James

Anon

to Squire James

Re: Interesting Points

I could see this being usefull on say long trans continental flights.. but would recommend a lounge is setup for calls such as the first class lounge on a 747

Brian_M
join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA

Brian_M to Squire James

to Squire James
How's the saying go... "Your right/privilege extends exactly to the point where it treads on anothers right/privilege" Your right (privilege really) to yak into a phone is only there until it runs into someone Elses right to avoid that noise pollution.

But I think it should be like smoking, up to each business to decide how they want to handle it (in the states that Allow a business to decide still). An airline wants to push the "annoy your neighbor with your mundane life, in-flight cell service available", hey great, I'll just go over here to "No-cell service in the air, airlines"

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Do people use the seatback phones now?

Do airplanes still have phones imbedded in the seatbacks?
The ones you'd activate with your credit card?
Last time I flew (eons ago) it cost something like $3.50/minute.
If cellular calls (using your own phone) cost anything like that I
suspect usage will be somewhat limited.
Wait until the first bozo talks all the way through a 3+ hr flight
and gets a multi hundred dollar roaming bill.
Assuming she/he doesn't get pummeled by the other passengers first.

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY to bnceo

Premium Member

to bnceo

Re: It's OK if they are simply removing restrictions

Do you really think airlines will have "voice free" and "voice" flights? I think this just will open up the door up for an extra tier of seating in "quiet rows" that will cost more money.
JSY

JSY to Brian_M

Premium Member

to Brian_M

I can't see this happening - where a whole airline would go one way or another with their flights. I think there will be a section in the seating that will be "voice-free" - and they will be premium seats much like extra legroom seats where they can charge you more.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

I can see it now ...

Airlines will have "Talking / No Talking" seating ... and charge a premium for the "No Talking" sections.

"Hello American Airlines ... I wanna book a flight in the No Talking, No Crying Babies section please". By the way ... does the No Talking policy also forbid the salesman next to me from talking my ear off, too?"

deheza
join:2004-06-10
Allen, TX

deheza

Airplane Lavatories as Privacy Booths

The Lavatories will need to be modified to be RF tight like a Screen Room. It isn't hard to imagine the problems that would occur when Lavatories are filled with Cell Phone talkers having a private conversation.
modifiy
join:2001-04-13
Minneapolis, MN

modifiy

unbearable noise pollution

quote:
one agency staffer received hundreds of e-mail complaints saying the changes could create "unbearable noise pollution."
There is a lot of humor in that quote. Could create? I flew a few weeks ago and I don't recall it being as quite as a library. There are these very loud contraptions attached to the plane to propel it. You would think these people would be complaining about that unbearable noise already.. For the most part I'm fine with if the approve it since I wear headphones/ear plugs on the flight due to the noise already and I hardly think anyone will be able to carry on a conversation. Even without the headphones chances are I wouldn't be able to hear someone talking on the phone across the isle.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy

Re: Do people use the seatback phones now?

said by JimThePCGuy:

Do airplanes still have phones imbedded in the seatbacks? The ones you'd activate with your credit card? Last time I flew (eons ago) it cost something like $3.50/minute.

Domestically? No. you are thinking of the old GTE Airfone setup. Those went away years ago. Aircell (GoGo) bought the frequency rights.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Yes, the Airfone is what I was thinking of.
Tnx,
J

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Money maker

Potential money maker for the airlines, they could make it so you are billed a higher per minute rate by your wireless carrier for using your cell phone on the plane and the airline pockets the money or shares it with the company providing the air to ground link. I think the same is done on cruise ships.

That way you'll only use the cell phone for necessary calls such as business or to let someone know you'll be arriving at the airport soon. But the rates they would charge would turn off most casual users like in the days of roaming charges.

It would also be good so you can use your Mi-Fi.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to modifiy

News Guy

to modifiy

Re: unbearable noise pollution

Lots of babies crying in said library.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Southwest

When flying Southwest I always look for the seat without children/babies. Now I will look for the row where someone is not yacking on a cellphone when I first get on.

Cleric
@myvzw.com

Cleric to Squire James

Anon

to Squire James

You have a right to be annoyed by it, you don't have a right to tell them to stop it. It all comes down to being considerate of others and unfortunately most people are not.
totalradio
join:2007-09-15
El Dorado, AR

1 recommendation

totalradio

Backlash ?

NOBODY is THAT important to do without their cellphone for a few hours.

Damn people, do without your cellphone and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Might improve ya.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

How will it differ...

How will this be any different to the way fast food restaurants and other places are now? Sure, you're there longer and it's a little more cramped, but I've been in crowded places before and it's not like every single person has their phone out and is talking to someone. Most people today sit there texting or doing something else on their phone.
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

Desdinova

Premium Member

Delta Has Already Weighed In

"Delta Air Lines is the only major airline to explicitly state that voice calls won't be allowed on its flights, even if the FCC allows it. Delta says years of feedback from customers show "the overwhelming sentiment" is to continue prohibiting calls."

»www.startribune.com/life ··· 221.html

Looks like I'll be flying on Delta a lot.
page: 1 · 2 · next