spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-25 16:25:06: Following right on the heels of a similar offer announced by AT&T back in October, Verizon is now offering users the ability to buy an LTE "day pass" for tablets. ..

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

Ridiculous

Ridiculous pricing...That's $150/month to put that into perspective. They are just screwing you.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
This might be good for people that use data heavily while on vacation but usually use their tablets on WiFi-only while home. So if you go on a week-long vacation, you add $35 per tablet to the cost of your vacation per tablet for a week's worth of access. Better than signing up the tablet for a monthly plan and never using it. (Obviously, if you use this as your "monthly plan", though, you'll be paying way too much.)
--
-Jason Levine

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
T-Mobile's 200MB free per month is appealing to me.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to motoracer
They have monthly plans starting @ $20 for 1GB.
The $5 is if you only need data for one day.
Before this option $20 was the minimum you could prepay.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to morbo
I paid $10 for a TMobile Nano Sim and plugged it on my Verizon Ipad Air.
I get the 200MB per month for free plan without issue.
Works fine IF you are in the TMobile coverage area. That's a BIG IF.

TAZ

@qwest.net

Just $16/GB!

This is totally a fair place; you can tell it's being sold at cost. :P

(because some won't get it: /sarcasm)

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net

Spin it the other way...

If they can offer 300 MB for $5 (no mention of needing an existing plan), then why is my 500 MB add-on plan $40/month?

Hard to say it includes voice and text since you still have to pay another $40/month for that device. However you flip it, does the math really make sense to those loyal monthly, post-paid customers? Probably not, they charge what they charge because people are still willing to pay it.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to motoracer

Re: Ridiculous

Not really. Let's say you use it once every 6 months. It would be more of a ripoff to add it to your existing plan. It's like paying $2.00 for an ice cream cone. Sure, ice cream is cheaper by the gallon, or the 5 gallon bucket, but who carries a 5lb bucket of ice cream..

The real ripoff is the 300mb. The cap should be higher. No one would be able to burn through it, and it would increas the perceived value...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to TAZ

Re: Just $16/GB!

What for profit business sells services/goods at cost?

Bootes
Premium
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY
reply to N3OGH

But they can pay $20 for 1GB and most likely use that for their entire vacation. There's no contract, they just cancel it when they're done.

Simon707

@184.151.114.x

1 recommendation

reply to openbox9

Re: Just $16/GB!

Which other for profit business sells services/goods at ( 1600/0.5 * 100 ) 320000% profit rates?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to JimThePCGuy

exactly! TMo's coverage is such a joke, it's useless. Everywhere I'd need mobile data, TMo has zero coverage for MILES. (I have a freedompop wimax puck that works everywhere else. But even that has laughable coverage.) To date, the only carrier that's had a signal everywhere I go is, sadly, Verizon. (and they did away with laptop "Day Pass" a long time ago.)

AnonYou

@mindspring.com
reply to AnonMe

Re: Spin it the other way...

said by AnonMe :

If they can offer 300 MB for $5 (no mention of needing an existing plan), then why is my 500 MB add-on plan $40/month?

Hard to say it includes voice and text since you still have to pay another $40/month for that device.

Because it is good for the month, not for a day.

You aren't buying a volume of bits. You are buying the opportunity to use up to that many bits within a given time period.

Many of us choose to not buy monthly plans, because they simply don't make good sense, but we would glady pay a higher rate per-bit for the right to be free from recurring charges.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to cramer

you mean to you personally.

Where I am i get T-Mobile HSPA+ 10-12Mbps down. While my Verizon mifi can't keep locked to an LTE signal.

So... YMMV