dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-02 11:28:58: Just when you thought that Comcast had found all streams of revenue from advertisement dollars, they have found a new way to raise their profits: Change the Nielson ratings to make Comcast look better. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

I Still Want To Know

How me not seeing a commercial is a loss of money, ESP since 99% of the time I don't buy those products?

If I being a male don't see a tampon commercial it's still a loss?
This makes no sense to me.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning

That's why they need to do dynamic commercial insertion based on your viewing habits and the profile they develop of you. Next they'll want you to identify yourself before you watch a TV show so they can target you correctly...

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

So eventually, will they:
A. Force me to stop watching TV since I don't buy their crap?
B. Discontinue my service for being a "bad" consumer?

Seriously... I pay a premium to not see ads I pay in 2 ways. I pay for amazon prime and other services that don't have ads. the other way I pay is by waiting until shows I want to see are available on those services?

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

seriously?

Make people not be able to skip commercials. Que the rage.....and the questions about why if commercials are so important why do people pay for access of the broadcast?

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

If You Don't Like The Measurement...

...change the measuring stick. If you think you weigh too much, buy a new scale.

Hopefully Nielsen will tell them to go to hell. There is a reason Comcast is euphemistically called Comcrap. They spread it around rather thick. They are as bad as AT&T.

FastForward
@comcast.net

FastForward

Anon

Stop fast forwarding on DVRd shows; hello TIVO

If Comcast stops fast forwarding of DVRd repeat episodes, then it is goodbye to Comcast's DVR service and their STBs. And hello to Tivo DVRs with their lower cablecard fees.

AD02122013
@204.108.96.x

AD02122013

Anon

ha

how nice... the sheep still follow the shinny sign.

ADdec213
@204.108.96.x

ADdec213 to buzz_4_20

Anon

to buzz_4_20

Re: I Still Want To Know

you need to go to the nearest doc to have a sex change operation, everyone wins
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to FastForward

to FastForward

Re: Stop fast forwarding on DVRd shows; hello TIVO

and they will jack up the outlet fee.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Soon they won't let you get up to take a leak or get something to eat as to not miss the commercials.

FastForward
@comcast.net

FastForward to Joe12345678

Anon

to Joe12345678

said by Joe12345678:

and they will jack up the outlet fee.

Maybe. But I will still be able to fast forward thru shows.

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20

If they want to see what's really getting watch.

They should start counting Pirated Downloads?

oh wait... those have all the ads stripped out...

But who want's an accurate count of who's watching a show, they just care about being able to set the price of ads. They don't care about the shows, to them shows are just the painfully necessary item needed to show ads during.

That's the sad truth, TV Shows are nothing more than a device to deliver advertising.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

I got one word for them... Tivo!

Once it's on my Tivo I can fast forward all I want.

I can even automatically transfer it to my computer, remove the ads and stream it back to the Tivo using all free and open source software.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

DVR

There would be no point in renting a DVR anymore so they will see "see that's why we need to do this" but in reality there are so many commercials that most shows are unwatchable. Think of all the customers they will lose and all the remaining who drop dvr service.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning

Even if Hulu asks me if the ad I am watching is relevant to me, I click "No" every time.

FastForward
@comcast.net

FastForward to buzz_4_20

Anon

to buzz_4_20

Re: If they want to see what's really getting watch.

said by buzz_4_20:

That's the sad truth, TV Shows are nothing more than a device to deliver advertising.

That has been true from the 1950s onward. TV has always been a way to deliver advertising and nothing else.

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

Treegravy

Premium Member

LOL

Hey Comcast, this give you any idears? :

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QttzATo8
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

2 recommendations

dfxmatt to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Just download your shows from torrent websites. You get better quality, no commercials, subtitles and don't spend an extra 10 minutes being force-fed things you don't want to buy. 3 shows in an hour or 2 with 20 minutes of ads? You decide.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

no FF

dvr goes back to the cable company at light speed!
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to FastForward

to FastForward

Once they go to a "cloud DVR" model, you won't really have a choice. The point there will be to monetize you again by controlling the stream and what you see. At that point they could inject ads into the stream like others do and personalize them by a kinect-like device to see who is in the room. Case closed, money made for those who will subject themselves to that level of privacy.

The only remaining barrier will be cablecard, and they are actively trying to kill it.

Note to operators: Nobody in my house will ever watch commercials again, and especially pay for it, so you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

CableCard
@embarqhsd.net

CableCard to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536

Re: no FF

Get yourself something like this - »amzn.to/ZdL9nL and take back control. Renting DVRs is a total scam. With Windows Media Center as your base TV-PC, you can add as many 'DVR's as you want with xbox360s on your home network (live TV + DVR) all with just one cablecard.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Treegravy

to Treegravy

Re: LOL

Or the Blipvert episode of Max Headroom.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Did you lose any money?

quote:
"The money being lost by people fast-forwarding commercials is in the billions," said Comcast.
Funny, I've not lost any money skipping commercials, I did, however gain some precious time, which is money to me!
WyldeStile
join:2004-07-10
Salisbury, NC

WyldeStile to devolved

to devolved

said by devolved:

Even if Hulu asks me if the ad I am watching is relevant to me, I click "No" every time.

I don't click so they are even more clueless about me.

DeadSurvivor
Actor (The Asylum / Mill Creek Ent.)
Premium Member
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

Free Cable ...

As longs as commercials "PAY" for my viewing, sure I'll watch commercials but this while per subscriber fee added in with commercial fee's to the networks, I should be able to fast forward through commercials.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to elefante72

to elefante72

I can build my own DVR...
TheRogueX

TheRogueX to Probitas

to Probitas

Re: seriously?

Yeah, that's a great question, right? If missed commercials = billions of dollars, then we better damn well see our monthly fees reduced if we actually sit and watch them.

JimMcCoy
join:2011-08-20
Midlothian, VA

JimMcCoy to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Because the business model was designed to operate with two sources of revenue.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Hmmmm

I was orginally going to say Dr. Jakob Neilsen would not allow it, but he is not part of Neilsen Ratings, nor has he ever been.

All things considered, and the number of owners and changes this company has undergone since A.J. formed it, Comcast probably has enough cash to write its own ratings. It seems in America that if one has enough money one can buy anything including a faux rating.

I dropped cable long ago for a better quality picture, more viewing choices, and lower prices. My cable, phone and Dish costs about $124/tax.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: If You Don't Like The Measurement...

Sorry but they are working WITH Nielsen
page: 1 · 2 · next