spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-02 15:06:53: Verizon appears to be the latest to join the rate-hike season festivities, with a notice being sent out to some FiOS subscribers that the company will be bumping FiOS rates over the next few billing cycles (I've dropped a line to see how broad these .. ..

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

Opt out

I have no problem with below the line fees like RSN fees and Broadcast fees. Maybe their existence will prod consumers to complain to the programmers instead of just at the cable companies, which is one of the reasons they do this in the first place (besides the fact that they can advertise lower package costs up front)

However, for them to be effective, we need the ability to opt-out of receiving those channels. I'd gladly give up my local OTA networks to save the $1.50 or whatever Charter charges me. I have an antenna and can pick them up just fine. For the pressure to work, though, there has to be some consequence to the broadcasters and RSNs. Otherwise, the fees are going to just keep going until they blow up the system.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

bill

I think about a week ago I downgraded to Select HD as I barely watch TV. My bill will be 69.99 for Select HD + 75/35.

Looks like I made a perfect switch

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog

join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

Equipment fees are going up too

Verizon is also bumping up the monthly fee on HD set top box rentals from $6.99 to $7.99 in the Northeast.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

Rate Hike

Marry Christmas you filthy animal. That is the message I get from Regional Sports.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to CGMason14

Re: Equipment fees are going up too

Why can't you buy them?? How does an 1-2-4-5+ year old box that by now has been payed some how cost more?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to CGMason14

said by CGMason14:

Verizon is also bumping up the monthly fee on HD set top box rentals from $6.99 to $7.99 in the Northeast.

That is still less than they charge here. It's been $10 a month here for a long time. It might even be higher now.

swarto112
Premium
join:2004-02-17
Brookfield, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

FIOS better than TWC...or anything else

Youre paying for the best service available. If youve ever had a service thats so-so or is constantly breaking...u get it. Ive had FOS and didnt care what the cost was cuz it just worked and everything was underpromised and over delivered. TWC or any othe cable service Ive had is always a pain in the butt. Cost is close to the same as well. Gonna cancel TV and go OTA...just not worth my time.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to patt2k

Re: bill

I also have SelectHD + 50/25 for $75, no change since I am in contract for another year, however my Cablecard went up to $5 a month earlier this year.

I just checked latest promo, and the standard is still there

$80 triple play (15/5) w/ PrimeHD + RSN fee and a $300 Visa gift card. After 1 year, cost goes up $10 on Y2. $90 to go to 50/25.

This doesn't include equipment, which is a rip because Verizon DVR is circa 1990 tech, but since I use CC, I don't care...AND they still don't charge for modem.

The one thing I have noticed is that Verizon now is charging "nuisance" fees that they have never in the past. For instance if you call someone it's $50 to activate, or free if you do online.

They also started charging for returning equipment whereas before they would let you drop it off or they ship you a box for free.

I am in Buffalo market.

I know @patt2k lives downstate, and they have the best prices, but they also have to pay a crapload in fees. I pay less than $2.

We have been on SelectHD for almost a year, and find it has a great mix of channels and combined w/ HSI it was practically free and cost less than broadcast 2-play so we signed up for it.

Comparatively to TWC bundle in my area:

triple play w/ CC 50/5 internet: $140 !!!

Versus my $80, that is $60 a month more for inferior internet and a few more channels (it would cost me $10 more).

Also TWC wants $38 a month for a whole home DVR which if I recall is even worse than Verizon's DVR.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Joe12345678

You can. Buy a Tivo, and you can use it for any operator, and resell it. Just make sure to get lifetime to keep your ROI up. Best buy will give you a gift card for $50. You can get the "low end" model for $150 w/ 4 tuners which currently bests anything TWC or Verizon spit out.

I told my brother to buy the Tivo w/ lifetime and use his home equity loan to pay for it. By my calculations (he has 2 TV) he is saving over $30 a month, and sold off his old Rokus.

And Tivo is far superior to any operator device out there.

If you look in Canada, they mandate operators sell the equipment and my entire family and a vast majority of friends buy the equipment, because it is much cheaper.

Brother still has a Tivo2 in production which is 8 years old...

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

drop video.

when your bottom line price is too high, stop buying...
you have to take into account the incentives and potential price increases along the way.
the more Verizon (or any carrier for that matter) does this, the less of a value it is.. so, decline accordingly.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to elefante72

Re: bill

said by elefante72:

I also have SelectHD + 50/25 for $75, no change since I am in contract for another year, however my Cablecard went up to $5 a month earlier this year.

I just checked latest promo, and the standard is still there

$80 triple play (15/5) w/ PrimeHD + RSN fee and a $300 Visa gift card. After 1 year, cost goes up $10 on Y2. $90 to go to 50/25.

This doesn't include equipment, which is a rip because Verizon DVR is circa 1990 tech, but since I use CC, I don't care...AND they still don't charge for modem.

The one thing I have noticed is that Verizon now is charging "nuisance" fees that they have never in the past. For instance if you call someone it's $50 to activate, or free if you do online.

They also started charging for returning equipment whereas before they would let you drop it off or they ship you a box for free.

I am in Buffalo market.

I know @patt2k lives downstate, and they have the best prices, but they also have to pay a crapload in fees. I pay less than $2.

We have been on SelectHD for almost a year, and find it has a great mix of channels and combined w/ HSI it was practically free and cost less than broadcast 2-play so we signed up for it.

Comparatively to TWC bundle in my area:

triple play w/ CC 50/5 internet: $140 !!!

Versus my $80, that is $60 a month more for inferior internet and a few more channels (it would cost me $10 more).

Also TWC wants $38 a month for a whole home DVR which if I recall is even worse than Verizon's DVR.

Indeed I am glad prices here in the city are really good and yet Time Warner does nothing about ZIP NOTHING lol.

Oh they will offer 100/5 for 104.99 lol.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

Shame

Verizon has the best technology out there. I've been with them 4.5 years and haven't had one outage of anything that I can recollect. It is shame I can no longer afford their services. I have an appointment tomorrow night with a Comcast rep who will save me $1500 the first year. I was ready to just cut the cord and get only Verizon internet, but that is $89.00 per month with a phone line and a 2 year contract. Comcast will give me triple play, a few premium channels, 2 DVRs and 2 HD boxes plus $300 to switch to them and do it at about 1/2 the monthly cost (240/month) I am currently paying. The cancellation cost on the contract after 1 year is 90 bucks. A year from now I will see how bad Verizon wants my business and how much I hate Comcast. I sure do love FIOS and I can't say it isn't worth the premium price you pay for it, but I can't justify that cost. I just don't get the industry attitude that new customers deserve a much better break than existing customers. For those willing to switch back and forth, there is a lot of money to be saved by that attitude.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

Sports Most of your Bill

Sports is becoming most of what makes up a cable bill.
I think its got to be over $30 now of your bill is just for sports.
Its so bad that team owners do not care at all about selling even 1 stadium ticket as they make all their money through TV contracts.

I wonder what will happen to sports once traditional cable goes under from all the cord cutters?
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Pay attention to the cord cutting rates, traditional cable will be gone in about 100 years, so dont worry about it.

XJakeX

join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI
reply to mixdup

Re: Opt out

If the cable companies really wanted to prod consumes to complain to the content providers about their constant rate increases, they would break down their TV service bill into two numbers: 1. The total dollars sent to the content providers in retrans fees, and 2. The amount kept by the cable company to pay for installations, maintenance, tech support, other administrative costs, and their profit.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL

I believe a very few companies do break out their total content costs and then another line for "all other costs" but don't expect them to put how much profit they're making on your bill (that's super hard to calculate on a per-bill basis anyway)

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog

join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ
reply to elefante72

My sister went the Tivo route with Comcast and has no problems with it. The problem with Verizon is On-Demand is IPTV based and not compatible. You don't escape monthly fees though as they still charge for cable cards.

VZ_Support
Premium
join:2011-01-12
kudos:21
reply to Kramer

Re: Shame

Hi Kramer,

We appreciate your sentiment towards our service and would love to keep you as a customer and definitely would not want to see you leave over an issue like this. Please reach out to our team over live chat here: »vz.to/IrGmIX

During our live chat conversation we'll collect your account and contact information and follow up with you after contacting our elite retentions team to see what we can do to keep you with us!

Best,

Art

DeadSurvivor
Shattered Dreams
Premium
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL

Shameful ...

As much as these service providers claim to value their customers, it's a shame the only way to get the best pricing on services is switching yearly or every 2 years. It's a hassle but a hassle that's well worth the money customers save.

fabolousrmx

join:2010-11-01
New York, NY

This sucks

I am seriously considering cancelling! I love fios but can't afford it!