dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-03 08:17:11: Chinese networking manufacturer Huawei says the company is ending its plans to expand in the United States market. "If Huawei gets in the middle of U. ..

whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh

Screw you guys...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OJZG_4gQ

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

They're clearly not the spy

Click for full size
SURPRISE!
They are clearly not that guy at all...
jtel
join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI

1 recommendation

jtel

Tit for Tat

In the wake of the NSA scandal China has directed Chinese companies to 'buy China made goods'.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

1 recommendation

amarryat

In the meantime, the NSA continues violating our privacy

And no one in DC seems to care

In Huawei's case, there is no evidence of spying, nor is there evidence of lying. In the case regarding our government, the opposite is true on both counts.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 edit

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven

Sounds like a win..

..for Cisco. The less competition, the better. *sigh*

Maybe Huawei denied the NSA to insert the NSA spyware into their routers, so the NSA created a "controversy" and threw Huawei right in the middle of it.

As for Cisco, I wonder if they were all for it if the price was right. I mean less competition and a few million (or billion) dollars to add a "feature" for the NSA? Seems like a good deal.

Also, Huawei offered full access to it's source code. Let's see Cisco do the same.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Re: Sounds like a win..

said by SimbaSeven:

Maybe Huawei denied the NSA to insert the NSA spyware into their routers, so the NSA created a "controversy" and threw Huawei right in the middle of it.

That was my guess all along. Whether Huawei had "Chinese spy code" or not, the NSA probably couldn't get THEIR code into the hardware so it had to be thwarted by any means necessary.
johnner1999
join:2008-12-27
Litchfield

johnner1999 to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
well - if any is true. I would assume that the NSA would NOT want to have that talk with Huawei as that would have tipped their hat.. no?

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 recommendation

pende_tim

Premium Member

I Can Understand the Problem

The "security" people in the USA don't want Huawei gear with the Huawei operating code. THey are afraid of China Spying on us.

THEY WANT TO INSTALL NSA's OWN SPY CODE!
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

pawpaw

The real message...

...is that the USA is no longer a market worth pursuing - too many hassles, too little profit, conniving competitors and government. This is a sad commentary on the state of the US.
ciucca
join:2004-05-24
Westfield, NJ

ciucca

Re: The real message...

Best news I ever heard. Huawei out of the US wireless market, awesome! All their equipment is the result of corporate espionage anyway. Then they get it built by the slaves that work in their factories in China, so they can undercut the US and European competitors on price.

ChinaWar
@comcast.net

ChinaWar

Anon

said by ciucca:

Best news I ever heard. Huawei out of the US wireless market, awesome! All their equipment is the result of corporate espionage anyway. Then they get it built by the slaves that work in their factories in China, so they can undercut the US and European competitors on price.

I agree. China has just resumed their military expansionism by moving in to seas and islands of Japan & S. Korea. Better to withdraw assets from US before seized by US during the conflict that is coming soon.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to ciucca

to ciucca
and FoxxCon is any better???
skyward03
join:2002-02-08
San Francisco, CA

skyward03

FoxxCon is a Taiwanese company so in that way it is better.

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN to ciucca

Premium Member

to ciucca
Hasnt america been slaving the world and doing the same thing for decades...? Only because someone is getting better at america's game now becomes problem... Dont hate the player, hate the game...

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Well technically the US made the game when it rebuilt the world from carpet bombed rubble.

KOakaKO
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

KOakaKO

Anon

You do realize that China was an ally of the U.S. in WWII, right? It was Japan that was carpet-bombed and not China...
YDC
join:2007-11-13
Hewlett, NY

YDC

Agreed good

Even if all that is said is true and they are innocent, we now get a chance to use a US company over them. They undercut prices so much to get market share that we as a country lose, and our dollars go overseas to boot! We need a lot more "made in the USA" tags! Thanks Huawei! See ya later!

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite

Premium Member

Re: Agreed good

Are Cisco manufacturing all of their equipment in the USA now?

Wow.
YDC
Hewlett, NY

YDC

No but at least they are a US company.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Yeah, but they keep their foreign profits offshore to avoid US tax. So there's not all that much net benefit to the US economy.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to YDC

Premium Member

to YDC
Lol...US company in name only. If given two choices, spend $300 on Cisco products and have $50 find its way back into the US economy, or $50 on Huawei products and HAVE $250 left over to potentially spend on the US economy. I think the US would be better off. Most US businesses aren't helping out the American cause all that much. US is in name only.
YDC
Hewlett, NY

YDC to Ignite

to Ignite
Perhaps thought of in the USA is more appropriate .. lol

mrbuyusa
@qwest.net

mrbuyusa to YDC

Anon

to YDC
I don't even think the manuals are printed in the USA with Cisco equipment. Last 50 occasions I have used/seen/worked with Cisco hardware, it was sourced in SE Asia, if not China 80% of the time.

I assume that since they "manufacture" the Cisco parts in China, there are plenty of opportunities for things to be modified on a system, that we may not know about today. I don't see why an additional item cannot be added to firmware, or possibly on a capacitor that was modded before it was installed on a board, by another company that works with the Red state. Paranoid thinking, but 100% possibly and most likely has and is happening on enterprise systems being assembled in China.

Don't you think that China knows that Cisco runs major networks around the world, and the ability to have a tap into it, would be beneficial to them. How about how much data is stored in the NSA Utah data center, on EMC, NetApp, and IBM disk arrays that are made in China(some eastern bloc also) -- I am quite sure that our Chinese *friends* are very well aware what kind of power they would have, if they could access that data in any form.
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

1 recommendation

slimtim

NSA Exiting the US Market?

Can Huawei take the NSA with them? (exit the U.S. Market)

-TimJ
Squire James
join:2013-08-21
Orlando, FL

Squire James

Re: NSA Exiting the US Market?

The only difference between the NSA and the Chinese intelligence apparatus (not necessarily Huawei) is that the Chinese are better at hunting down and killing their potential Edward Snodens.
skyward03
join:2002-02-08
San Francisco, CA

skyward03

Re: NSA Exiting the US Market?

There is no chinese Edward Sondens because what Edward post about NSA is nothing what we dont know about the Chinese intelligence agency.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Huawei

I don't understand how Huawei can be so bad, but when I went to vote in the 2012 election and all the machines with voter information ran on Lenovo laptops, no one cared.
YDC
Hewlett, NY

YDC

Re: Huawei

Now that's funny!
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

2 recommendations

54761437 (banned)

Witch hunt.

The entire ordeal has been nothing but a witch hunt. There's no solid evidence that Huawei is doing the Chinese government's bidding. Our government just wants to make a Chinese company the convenient scapegoat to deflect criticisms from their own state spy apparatuses. Welcome to your dystopian future.

jfleni
@direcpc.com

jfleni

Anon

Huawei Gives Up On Trying to Convince U.S. It's Not a Spy

They should have proposed to LA that they would expand and build the (just recently proposed) city of LA network, that all the plutocrats panned and critisized!

Once ten million people had really good connections, all the redneck spy stories would have been seen as the garbage from hillbilly heaven they really were. Result: GREAT internet (+video+all other services) for LA and well deserved big bucks for Huawei. A good oportunity gone to waste to benefit Barry Bubba (ans all the other currupt politicians) and his buddies!
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

A sad day...

When a company pulls out of a competitive market due to innuendo and politics. I haven't seen any reports about their gear being invasive, just the rumors.

I admit to some worry about Canada and Nortel. Have we eliminated that threat yet?

•••

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

To me the saddest part

Huawei U.S. = Americans with good jobs to sell and support it here. Now those jobs are gone. Thanks Washington, we NEED to throw away good jobs.

One step closer to MickeyD's and Wally World being the best paying employers in the U.S.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

Re: To me the saddest part

Yeah, don't you love the way the MSM credits the Obama admin with all this job creation and lowering the unemployment rate, but in the same breath they refuse to acknowledge most of these new jobs are shitty, part-time positions?
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

Re: To me the saddest part

Blame the republicans for killing off the unions, when there where strong unions in this country unemployment was very low and almost all of it was full time.