spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-03 10:06:35: Comcast has slowly but surely been expanding their usage cap trials, predominately in less competitive Southern markets. Portions of Maine and Augusta, Georgia appear to be the latest market to face caps and overages. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

2 recommendations

Because it wasn't broken before.

quote:
"If you’re in that tiny minority of people where you use that much data and you would like to use more, this is now the fairest and most flexible way that we believe we can implement to extract more money from your wallet," Comcast tells the paper.
ftfy

Toguro

join:2003-10-23
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

XBOX ONE/PS4

What will happen when people start buying games and movies on their console and 2 games eat through a 1\3 of their cap in a day.
Right now 300 seems like alot but in a year when all these new toys make it into people homes will Comcast increase there caps again.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit

In Maine now also

This FAQ page on the Comcast Support site says the 300 GB monthly data usage allowance trial has also been extended into Maine as of Dec. 1st: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···launched

EDIT: Also on the MCN site:

Comcast’s Usage-Based Broadband Trial Reaches Maine
MSO Charging Extra When Customers Exceed Their Monthly Data Thresholds

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - December 3, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···e/146989

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

Usage Caps then its bye bye Comcast!!

If Comcast brings back the Usage Caps to my area which is Philly then I will more then likely switch to Verizon FIOS which has no caps! FIOS just arrived in my location this month

So I dare you Comcast just bring the Caps to my area and watch how many people drop comcast for Verizon FIOS!

Qil Comcast

@google.com
You're acting jubilantly as if Comcast and Verizon aren't in cahoots in the grand scheme of things.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

My usage is around 40 GB per month

My usage isn't out of control because my video comes in through that big metal thing on my roof called a satellite dish. You DO have a choice in video providers, it's called DirecTV/Dish Network.

You don't always have to take your ISP's video offering, but they penalize you for not doing so. The caps are designed to lock you to their video but you can always go the satellite route and tell them off on their video offering. I like the picture quality better on DirecTV as well.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

NodeSplit

@comcast.net
reply to Toguro

Re: XBOX ONE/PS4

Gamers doing massive downloads, overloading local nodes, need to pay more so that local node splits can be financed.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: My usage is around 40 GB per month

said by IowaCowboy:

You DO have a choice in video providers, it's called DirecTV/Dish Network.

In many urban areas this isn't an option. Eg. living in an MDU or historic laws preventing satellite dishes.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: Usage Caps then its bye bye Comcast!!

The painful truth is that for now, if you have an alternative provider the cap will not be coming to your area for quite some time.

If customers don't have an alternative it's easier to keep putting the screws to them.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom

WOW!/Knology in Augusta

Does WOW!/formerly Knology have usage caps? It's actually not accurate to say that Augusta doesn't have competition because much of the area has been served by Knology, now WOW! for years as an overbuilder. It is interesting to me that they would try this there, unless the competition has caps. I am not sure, I think Uverse is available in Augusta, of course, they have a lower cap at 250GB if I recall correctly.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by IowaCowboy:

In many urban areas this isn't an option. Eg. living in an MDU or historic laws preventing satellite dishes.

Living in an MDU does not make it impossible to get DTV/Dish. There are many system operators out there that can install one set of dishes on the roof, and have it service the entire building over coax. It's commonly done.

DTV/Dish have their own MDU-specific system operators for that reason.

syslock
Premium
join:2007-02-03
La La Land
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Fair and Flexible?

>>this is now the fairest and most flexible way that we believe we can implement," Comcast tells the paper.

Is that what your stock holders are telling you to say now?
Its not about thier customers, its about revenue on the books for the stock holders.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to IowaCowboy

40GB? These days, that is equal to precisely ONE game - and there was just a Steam / Amazon / Origin sale to boot.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to NodeSplit

Oh bullshit, DOCSIS 3.0 was supposed to make it so that node splits were the last and final option. Most DOCSIS 3.0 modems support up to what? 8 bonded channels and with some of the newer ones capable of 16.

All Comcast has to do is turn up some more DOCSIS channels and expand from 8 to maybe 16 channels. Instantly fixed.

DOCSIS 3.0 and the new 3.1 was supposed to fix this crap and make usage caps absolutely unnecessary. This is a money grab, pure and simple.

Oh no! The EXAFLOOD! WHAT EVER WILL WE DO!?!? LMAO
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by IowaCowboy:

MDU is a tricky situation, that is where the FCC OTARD rules kick in. If you have a private porch or balcony, then you have a renter's right to mount that dish on there but you are SOL if it don't face the satellites.

I live in a duplex and mine is mounted on the roof. Mine was installed before the current landlord purchased the building from the larger complex but you should see all the dishes on that larger complex, it looks like a dish farm.

I think if the roof needs to ever be replaced, i'll probably go with a pole mount and mount it in the yard. The landlord is pretty lenient but I wouldn't want to pierce a brand new roof.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to caseywor

Re: WOW!/Knology in Augusta

Yes they do.

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

All Comcast has to do is turn up some more DOCSIS channels and expand from 8 to maybe 16 channels. Instantly fixed.

Not quite. Comcast would also have to upgrade the node to handle the additional channels. Even with channel bonding there are only so many channels to go around. Why should you get 16 channels while I only get 8 channels for the same price? Oh, wait I know, you're special.

Bandwidth is a limited resource, laws of physics. Look it up.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

Where can we provide feedback?

A trial implies they are looking for data back. Are they just looking at how much extra revenue this generates? I doubt the outsourced CSR making a crappy wage has enough motivation to pass along a customer's dissatisfaction with the new caps.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Toguro

said by Toguro:

What will happen when people start buying games and movies on their console and 2 games eat through a 1\3 of their cap in a day.

If you're buying games for your brand new game console at a pace to blow through your monthly data cap, the $10/50GB overage is merely a blip on the radar for the cash you'd be hemorrhaging.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Qil Comcast

One of the many benefits of fibre. No node splits.. Even 500 links can go to 4:1 and none the wiser...

And there is no reason they can't traffic shape if they need to, not like they have done in the past..

And lets not pretend 300GB is some magical number that will bring the world crashing down. We already average 600GB a month.

No way Comcast brings this to competitive areas anytime soon. Verizon will eat their lunch if they are smart..

300GB just happens to be the number the quants figure the median user will use in 2015, just in time so that they can milk their DS3.0 gear and have overages pay for the new 3.1 gear.

In Canada, they have already figured out the scam. Many of the third-party companies have unlimited caps in the wee morning hours and that is when people do their game downloading, P2P, anything that would rack up bits on the meter...

Those who argue node splits, need to understand a 300GB cap does little for prime usage. Do you think 16 year olds are worrying when they are consuming media and games?

Put plainly, HSI is vastly profitable, and caps are just a way to make more money from the declining ARPU from people downgrading their TV packages. In fact HSI is AT LEAST 3-4x more profitable per dollar, so if they can get you to downgrade $20 on your TV and they substitute that $20 in overages, it's like a $60-$80 ARPU bump on profitability (or more). ITS GRAVY....

TWC sends $20 of everyone's bill back to dividends every month, so figure that one out...

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to raythompsontn

You don't "get" a channel, you are "assigned" to a channel to LOAD BALANCE. If they add new channels they do so to load balance users.

In fact for slower speeds (15 or less) the TWC tech I know says that they monitor your usage for a month and then bond you to a SINGLE channel, even if you have a DS 3.0 modem. And there are lots of legacy users still on DS 2 modems out there (my rents for example).

As to laws of physics, the coax limit is the Shannon-Hartley limit, and if you look at DS3.1 they begin to add things like FEC and LDPC and they haven't even gotten to turbo codes or which increase the bit limits/freq even more. Current coax runs can go into the Gbits/sec, the question is what your operator wants to spend to get you there, the law of "PROFIT"

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to trparky
Does Comcast have 3.1 hardware ? Or are they just installing and replacing older 2.0 hardware for 3.0 ?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 recommendations

reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

In fact for slower speeds (15 or less) the TWC tech I know says that they monitor your usage for a month and then bond you to a SINGLE channel, even if you have a DS 3.0 modem.

That makes no sense at all. What would they accomplish by doing this? It's automatically load balanced across all the DOCSIS channels, regardless of your provisioned speed, forcing the modem to a single channel would defeat this behavior.

Additionally, I live in a Time Warner area, and I haven't seen a single DOCSIS 3.0 modem limited to one channel. I'm the geek that hits 192.168.100.1 at all my friend's houses, so I can see their signal levels, and I think I would have noticed this by now. Heck, on Motorola Surfboards you don't even have to hit the status screen, the LEDs change color when channel bonding is in effect....

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

16GB here in the last month.....

Click for full size
Which seems to be about my average when I'm not gulping down Netflix.

My 95th Percentile: 0.16mbit/s. Please, tell me why I should pay the same as someone with a 95th Percentile in the double digits.....

Johnnybegoo1

@myvzw.com
reply to IowaCowboy

»mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSB···irpc=932

Wish it was possible in great Country of USA!

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to Crookshanks

I am only telling you what he told me, and he was obviously using incorrect terminology. He said that even though it is bonded, they only send traffic UL/DL one channel in each direction which I took it to mean that they assign a Primary DS. It does make sense if they are stacking a bunch of DS2,0 modems to specific channels.

That won't show up on your Moto...

What they do is assign a primary DS channel and enable DCS. I have been out of that space for a few years... Because of overhead, they probably keep DS2.0 modems in the first few channels depending upon node splits, and a big reason why TWC wanted 8 channel modems, because if they were ever to convert to Sec DS they needed 8 channel DS modems. I don't know what Comcast does, but probably similar. Now I hear 16 channel is hitting the street.

With that said this was a year ago, and he was drunk! I'm sure as they move more people to DS 3 modems, they can tune that down because of the overhead and convert more to secondary DS.

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

Thank you based EPB for forcing Comcast to not enforce caps in my area with some good ol competition!

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to SunnyD

Re: Because it wasn't broken before.

Well, they've got to do something to convince people that how much one customer uses actually has some affect on their neighbors' Internet experience!!! I mean, that's the whole point of their crap faq (no, that's not a typo ). Anyway, what's wrong with charging customers again for the same service that they've already paid for? If they don't like it, then they can just cancel it and get service from someone els... wait a minute!! I see a problem...

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
reply to elefante72

The "primary" channel is simply the channel that transmits signalling information, which can consume a LOT (upwards of 40% in some environments) of the available capacity. A D3 modem bonded to multiple channels will use all of them for data, simultaneously, as the CMTS attempts to maintain similar traffic ratios across them. It may get more data on channel A than channel B, if B has higher utilization for whatever reason, but it does use them all, per the D3 specs, which are publically available if you're really bored.

D2 modems need to be balanced, best practice is to put them in channels that D3 modems use for signaling (i.e., the "primary"), that way you keep traffic-only channels to maximize D3 throughoput.

fieroloki

join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX
reply to gate1975mlm

FiOS has a cap. Just stupid high 10Tb cap.