dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-04 08:09:38: House Republicans Fred Upton (R-Mich.) and Greg Walden (R-Ore.) say they're going to start pushing hard to "reform" the Communications Act over the next two years. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Gilitar

AT&T and friends can't be trusted

"In the nearly 18 years since the last update of the Communications Act, the world has been revolutionized by broadband and new digital technologies," 

Yet i'm still stuck with crap DSL service from AT&T. I'm sure this is a product of AT&T's lobbying to reduce regulation, when in fact they've proven that more is needed.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak

Premium Member

said by Gilitar:

I'm sure this is a product of AT&T's lobbying to reduce regulation, when in fact they've proven that more is needed.

Bingo! With Rebooblicans leading the charge no less.
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

1 recommendation

pawpaw to Gilitar

to Gilitar
Why don't you start a competing internet service, with better service, more bandwidth and lower prices? Start in your own neighborhood. AT&T are making a pretty profit, so there is room to undercut them.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Except where they buy the politicians to pass laws preventing competitors from operating in areas they don't/under serve.
Squire James
join:2013-08-21
Orlando, FL

Squire James

Talking is Talking

At least they aren't trying to push a sweeping deregulation bill through Congress to get signed by the President before Christmas. There's plenty of time for dissenting opinions to be expressed and heard/ignored.

BillByByte
@comcast.net

BillByByte to Gilitar

Anon

to Gilitar

Re: AT&T and friends can't be trusted

said by Gilitar:

"In the nearly 18 years since the last update of the Communications Act, the world has been revolutionized by broadband and new digital technologies," n, when in fact they've proven that more is needed.

Look for the end of strict net neutrality with content providers paying ISPs for improved speeds & availability. Also look for bill-by-byte OKs in new law.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
I've been part of several start ups that fit pawpaw's suggestion. I've yet to run into any laws that prohibit competition. Perhaps you can point these laws out?
battleop

battleop to BillByByte

to BillByByte
"Look for the end of strict net neutrality"

I'm waiting on it to begin.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I guess you've never heard of Louisiana, North Carolina, and several other US states where legislators, paid by AT&T and other incumbents, have thwarted (or tried to) efforts by citizens to better serve their areas. Have you lived under a rock?

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm to battleop

to battleop
Maybe Fuziwuzi is thinking about municipal ISPs and the hurdles they often face instead?

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
As I asked before, please point out the laws that prohibit anyone from starting their own ISP in any state.
Expand your moderator at work

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

mr sean to Gilitar

to Gilitar

I know I'll sound cynical and jaded, but if we follow the money trail I predict bi-partisan support from the Energy and Commerce committee on the reform issue.

The communications and electronics sector was second in donations ($2,883,820) to the committee members, trailing only the health care industry, energy was a distant third (see: »www.opensecrets.org/cmte ··· hamber=H)

In terms of individual congressman Ed Markey (D, MA) was by far the largest recipient of largesse from related industries, followed closely by Mr. Upton and Mr. Walden.

Telecom services and equipment:
Ed Markey (D-Mass).....$79,000
Greg Walden (R-Ore)....$41,250
Fred Upton (R-Mich).....$11,750
»www.opensecrets.org/cmte ··· ndus=B09

Telephone utilities:
Ed Markey (D-Mass).....$53,250
Greg Walden (R-Ore)....$36,250
Fred Upton (R-Mich).....$22,650
»www.opensecrets.org/cmte ··· =B08

TV/Movies/Music
Ed Markey (D-Mass).....$288,000
Greg Walden (R-Ore)....$121,300
Fred Upton (R-Mich).....$50,850
»www.opensecrets.org/cmte ··· ndus=B02

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Reform?

In other words, we totally screwed everything up back in 1996 and just as things are kind of sorting themselves out, we need to screw it all up again. Not to mention the campaign contributions have been drying up and we need to fleece the telecom's for more contributions. How better to motivate them than to propose legislation that affects them.

Plus, since congress is bought and paid for by industry insiders, you can be sure whatever reforms comes out of Washington will strip whatever rights consumers have to competition and turn over the entire industry to a cabal of companies such AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Cox and Charter. TWC is really not a player as they will be sold off soon enough. On the bright side, unless Obama pulls a Clinton, it is probably DOA until the next presidential election.
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

pawpaw to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi

I'm confused. You are citing laws that prevent competition. But people are complaining that there is not enough regulation. So which is it? More or less regulation?

NotDemcrap
@verizon.net

NotDemcrap to spewak

Anon

to spewak
It was a Dem-crap who allowed Comacast to buy NBC to create an even larger monopoly. ALL career politicians need to go!
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
Start a co-op with your neighbors and expand it. DO NOT make it a Muni and don't believe what you read on the front page. AT&T does NOT stop you from starting an ISP like many on where want to make you believe and call for Muni/Federal Fiber for everyone.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Not a good sign

The communications act in many ways helped consumers. Big Cable lauding a revision can only be a bad thing.

DC Expat
@cstel.com

DC Expat to battleop

Anon

to battleop

Where do you propose the middle ground should be? I agree that things like we should prioritize certain categories of transmission, like VOIP and medical data. But allowing the prioritizing of one's own content without some limits seems like a recipe for disaster for the open Internet.

battleop

battleop

I'm OK with a provider who uses QoS to deliver their Voice on their own network. I'm not OK with providers (I'm looking at Comcast) who monkey with things that break other provider's voice. I'm more than happy to get mixed in with all the noise as I can usually come up with a way to make the customer happy. I've got a big problem with providers who do things to break other provider's voice.

FWIW the Comcast thing seems to be a market by market problem and not nationwide.

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck to mr sean

Premium Member

to mr sean
Thanks for posting this, I had remembered Mr. Upton as being a tool of AT&T and was just going to go look for that information, but you beat me to it!

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Start a co-op with your neighbors and expand it. DO NOT make it a Muni and don't believe what you read on the front page. AT&T does NOT stop you from starting an ISP like many on where want to make you believe and call for Muni/Federal Fiber for everyone.

Right, they only stop YOU from being an isp if YOU are a group called a community and are banded together by a voting majority.

Washington State. It is against the law for any public agency to provide end user internet services. Period. Law passed with the help of GTE when the first Public Utility Districts created fiber optic networks in the late 1990's.

Public electricity. Ok. Private electricity. Ok. Public internet. NOT OK. Private internet. Ok. See the problem here? I do, too many people who believe "the way it is" is the answer and solution to let private business monopolize a sector that applies to almost everyone in a government jurisdiction.

When people want something, when people band together to create something, when people vote to approve something, they should be allowed to do so with no interference from non-voting entities. Businesses can't vote. Corporations can't Vote. CEO's living in other jurisdiction can't vote. But the reality and the actual laws don't seem to convey these blatant points into reality every day.
firephoto

firephoto to DC Expat

Premium Member

to DC Expat
said by DC Expat :

Where do you propose the middle ground should be? I agree that things like we should prioritize certain categories of transmission, like VOIP and medical data. But allowing the prioritizing of one's own content without some limits seems like a recipe for disaster for the open Internet.

That's just dumb, nothing on the network should be prioritized. It's just a con to allow greased palms.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to Gilitar

to Gilitar
How would you feel if the new update cuts off your DSL, and forces you to move or get LTE?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to pawpaw

to pawpaw
Uh... How about some intelligent regulation? The world does not fall into two categories where there is either "more" or "less" regulation. Your simplistic view of things is appalling.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to pawpaw

to pawpaw
Because the initial capital expenditure required to compete in a saturated infrastructure market is astronomical? The ROI is in the multiple years? You have to not only undercut the incumbent, who has already paid off the cost of their lines over the last couple decades, this putting you at a massive cost disadvantage, but you have to spend exorbitant sums on advertisement to steal away customers from them.

This is basic Econ 101. Why do you feign ignorance of how infrastructure tends toward natural monopolies?

Asgarrd
@k12.ca.us

Asgarrd to spewak

Anon

to spewak
a lot of Dems also

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to axus

to axus
said by axus:

How would you feel if the new update cuts off your DSL, and forces you to move or get LTE?

Exactly! Wireless is not a viable replacement for wired internet. AT&T get's my vote for the worst company in America.

DC Expat
@cstel.com

DC Expat to firephoto

Anon

to firephoto
As it stands right now, providers are able to surreptitiously to undermine certain content on their networks, and the FCC/FTC can't do much about it. While there is a lot of talk about how this shouldn't be allowed, there's not a whole lot of political will power to create tougher enforcement standards. As it is, the FCC has probably gone farther than its authorizing statute allows, and like it or not, Republicans will remain a strong force in the house for many years because of redistricting.

Allowing for at least some prioritizing in a theoretical redesign of the FCC Act would give policy makers the window to implement a more effective enforcement mechanism to enforce those priorities. That's part of the given and take of Washington, that's how sausage is made.

Admittedly, I''m not an expert, but I still think there's a reasonable line to draw out there, and I don't buy the doom and gloom predictions about the end of the internet as we know it. Slippery slope arguments are pretty weak in my opinion, but if there's a logical argument for why we need strict neutrality, I'd listen.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to fuziwuzi

Premium Member

to fuziwuzi
In NC they only stopped government systems from being built not private systems. I can't remember if the fight they had in Louisiana was private or municipal. I think one of the power companies is building a fiber system a couple counties away. Not sure yet.
page: 1 · 2 · next