dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-09 14:19:02: The cable industry has historically tried to argue that cord cutters either don't exist or are so lame they aren't relevant. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

blueeyesm
join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON

blueeyesm

Their site ssssllllllooooo...

oooooowwwwwwly loads...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Re: Their site ssssllllllooooo...

It's downloading a metric f*ckton of data... must be buffering the entire thing.

In any case, I found that I had a great time without pay TV service, and saved quite a bit of money in the process.

edit: I find these videos creepy and disturbing, not to mention terrible.

15 minutes could save you 100% of your monthly cable bill.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by amungus:

15 minutes could save you 100% of your monthly cable bill.

It took me almost 30 minutes to reach someone who would actually cancel my cable TV service when I called to do it about 5 months ago. It was just deals, deals, deals, until I threatened to cancel the whole fucking thing unless he quit asking. Took him another 20 seconds after that to cancel my TV service. I had to ask him to shut off the TV service 9 times. I was not happy, and happy that I quit giving these greedy piles more money.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Stop paying the bill, that'll get it shut off sooner or later.

exCableSlave
@embarqhsd.net

exCableSlave to Chubbysumo

Anon

to Chubbysumo
I knew this going in when I cancelled, so I planned on going to the area Comcast center. Trouble was, the only day I could do it was a holiday. That trouble was trying to get someone to answer whether it was open or not. Call after call they wanted my account number before they'd tell me anything. I finally got someone who would do it if they had an address, even though I was giving them the address of the center. Of course I gave them a phony address.

An hour later I was handing over all the boxes to be stacked among all the other boxes handed over that day. Life isn't always good, but cutting the cord to that money pit sure was.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

One More Step For Me

I am at the broadcast basic level right now and still have a good rooftop antenna that I use on one TV. I am ready to drop even the BB service and say goodbye to cable based video. Between Netflix and OTA reception, I have no need for cable.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Re: One More Step For Me

Assuming solo internet service will not cost you too much, go for it. We OTA only types need more members We just got another OTA sub channel from our local CBS affiliate WMAZ. They had planned for it from June 2009 but it took a long time to find affordable content. We hope to have some more sub channels from some of the other non network OTA broadcasters. We are anxiously awaiting for our remaining low power analog stations to be converted to digital. Getting the correct content that will bring in advertising revenue due to increased viewership is a difficult process, but can be done. An increase in output power from the stations would also help. Darn signals are too weak in many areas that used to easily get OTA.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

I ditched cable over a year ago and have missed little other than a handful of programs and an occasional college football game. Now it's getting to be long enough that those handful of programs I enjoyed and missed are showing up on the streaming options anyway, as they seem to lag 1-2 years behind.

The way cable companies are ignoring the trend for people to consume video online reminds me of how the print medium tried ignoring the internet as well. Eventually they'll be forced to adapt, since most TV providers are broadband companies as well it shouldn't be difficult for them, rather it's going to be difficult for the individual channels to create an appropriate online presence.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Blame the content producers just as much as the cable companies. For example, HBO's past stances concerning on line streaming were sadly out of touch. I am betting that shortly after Friday 1 January 2021 we will see new ideas for a new decade concerning some of the old content producers. Eight years is a long wait though.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

ENough is enough

The Cable companies deny that cord cutting exists yet they act dumb and act lie they do not know why people are cutting the cord. Their mantra is oh the cord cutters are leaving we need to hike our rates to make more money then a a result more people cut the cord and the same cycle continues. The consumer gets fed up and the companies act dumb acting like its no wrong on their part.

People are leaving because they are tired of paying for crap on TV to many commercials to many reality show crap the list goes on and on.

People want to watch their shows and movies via the Internet and they want fast Cheap internet with out puny caps.

eggy
@66.193.165.x

eggy

Anon

the strangest and creepiest videos ...

this was beyond disturbing if this will not make you leave cable company I don't know what will.

who approves this garbage ...

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Re: the strangest and creepiest videos ...

said by eggy :

this was beyond disturbing if this will not make you leave cable company I don't know what will.

who approves this garbage ...

Dunno, but I expect it was created by the same ad agency that brought us food that fights back.

PlusOne
@comcast.net

PlusOne to eggy

Anon

to eggy
They were really strange videos. Not sure what the ad agency they hired to make them was thinking, or who their target audience was? Not sure how these videos would get anyone to keep cable TV.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

1 edit

Millenium

Not for Everyone

I don't suppose ditching cable is for everyone, but I seriously couldn't be happier with Netflix. I watch what I want, when I want, with no commercials, for $8/month. It's nirvana.

And speaking of empty spaces - There is one. The empty space what used to be filled with money going toward a cable bill.

HuskyC
@comcastbusiness.net

HuskyC

Anon

I did get the news

I did get the news about mutant killer rabbits. I got it on twitter... well before it made CNN or Fox News.

Their argument is invalid.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

I'll cut the cord

If they can arrange to have me killed by sharks with lay-zurs on their heads! Muah, muah, muahahahahahahaah!

Nah, just kidding. I did it already.
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty

Don't watch them

Whatever you do, don't watch the videos, it will be a complete waste of time, they are horrible, some of the worst stuff I have seen on the interwebs before. Especially considering a budget actually went into making them.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Re: Don't watch them

I barely made it through the first video which mantra was you need cable otherwise you won't have up to date news.

Oh I'd rather wait until Piers Morgan comes on 4 hours later a spews his mouth off for some tangent liberal agenda having nothing to do with the news and call it news, OR

go to the web, twitter, facebook, etc and find out the information instantly.

As a matter of fact it's been so long since I watched the news I'm not sure Piers Morgan even attempts it anymore.

He's better off staying on his bike and getting fresh air.

Cable is a dinosaur and the meteor already hit the earth. They just don't know they are dead yet because they never evolved anything more than pea brains and that dust all around them they simply can't comprehend.

spew_you
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

spew_you

Anon

Re: Don't watch them

said by elefante72:

I barely made it through the first video which mantra was you need cable otherwise you won't have up to date news.

Oh I'd rather wait until Piers Morgan comes on 4 hours later a spews his mouth off for some tangent liberal agenda having nothing to do with the news and call it news, OR

go to the web, twitter, facebook, etc and find out the information instantly.

OR you could simply turn over to Fox News and perhaps get your preferred flavor of spew and agenda? Clearly it's a fault of the liberal media for not only existing but also forcing you to watch their stations and shows. Although I'm not sure why you had to try and make some political swipe over the subject of cord cutting, but I guess some people aren't good for much of anything else. Regardless, Piers Morgan must be doing something right to get conservatives so agitated that they bring him up within completely unrelated discussion. I sure hope he keeps up the good work!

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20

Getting On The High Horse Here...

Since when is CABLE TV a part of your freaking life people.

It enables laziness
It wastes time
It makes you dumber
Marketers spend tons of money tricking you to spend money
Most "News" content is controlled and influences by companies owner to steer thoughts in their favor.
It's Expensive.

Now I'm not saying that there is no quality entertainment to be had, or educational content to be found, but most of it is junk, just useless crap taking up spaces in between commercials.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Re: Getting On The High Horse Here...

It didn't used to make you dumber. Discovery and other channels used to be much more educational. Even history still has its moments when they run nazi specials all day on saturday.

The science channel is pretty much the only decent channel left and that is waning and lots of people don't have the channel.

That is why cable is useless. If you are a sports fan, you can just do an online thing or get satellite.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Re: Getting On The High Horse Here...

I cut the cord in 2004 or 2005. I'm reminded why every time I go to the gym and see Toddlers and Tiaras or Honey Boo Boo on The "Learning" Channel.

Nine channels (six in HD) for free, via OTA, plus TiVo are all that I'll ever need. I have some envy for my OTA friends in real cities who get 30 or 40 to choose from, but not enough to open up my wallet for Time Warner.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

1 recommendation

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Hole?

The only "mighty big hole" cord cutters have is from all the years of taking it up the backside paying for cable.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

3 recommendations

amungus

Premium Member

Cable is not internet

They're trying to say that "cable" is not just TV?
Not sure that they understand the difference between the "internet" (Dr. Evil voice), and "Television" (again, best read with Dr. Evil voice).

Just because both come to a location via a "cable" (Dr. Evil again), does not make them "the same thing."

News. Social media. Video chat. Original programming. They're all brought to you by cable, every day, everywhere, on just about any device.

I'm not sure I have ever met anyone who is dense enough to not know the difference between television and the internet. Are they trying to say that they must be bundled?

This gets even worse when you go to their "privacy policy" page and check some of this out.

Since Americans are accustomed to paying for what they use, some broadband providers are developing usage plans that promote fairness by asking high capacity Internet users to shoulder a greater proportionate share of network costs. But instead of applauding increased consumer choice and common sense pricing, some critics want to force average users to pay a flat fee akin to a “universal” service, no matter if they are an occasional visitor or frequent “super user.”

Fairness? If it were fair, you'd charge a base price for a reasonable speed that didn't totally suck, and the "casual surfer" who used less than 1GB/mo. would pay $10/mo.

According to Cisco, bandwidth demand will grow four-fold in the next three years alone.

And? It hasn't done this (and more) in the past?

But broadband capacity isn’t an infinite resource. Rather, it is a feat of human engineering that was and remains expensive to build, maintain and expand.

Yeah, um, it's been covered pretty well by many ISPs over the years.
...Sell a jet, and stop crying about it. If you can't keep up the "speed" of the connection, build the infrastructure behind everything to handle it better FIRST, and then worry about the speed. This shouldn't be anything to cry about.

Some great info here:

»www.freepress.net/sites/ ··· al_0.pdf
Millenium

1 recommendation

Millenium

Re: Cable is not internet

said by amungus:

I'm not sure I have ever met anyone who is dense enough to not know the difference between television and the internet. Are they trying to say that they must be bundled?

Maybe this idea has something to do with Time Warner's new "Everyday Low Price" offer in my area. "Sign'em up for $14.99/month and call'em cable subscribers." Who knows? It's only a 2mb connection, but it's enough to run my Netflix at low definition, my free VoIP over wifi, and the rest of my browsing. If they want to call me a cable subscriber - by all means.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Interesting. Maybe Cox will catch up and do something similar. I hope there are no funny financial clauses in that offer.
Millenium

Millenium

None in this one..... yet. With caps popping up in other markets I imagine time is short on this offer. I bought a modem instead of paying the extra $6/month lease fee. If it lasts 13 months I'll break even on the modem. See what happens.

Netflix will unfortunately be paying the price if they cap it.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Time warner claims to have no contracts and that everything is a promotional offer.

So the funny business happens at the end of your promotion. They put you on whatever new promotion they want to put you on. Your bill definitely is going to go up, could be 5 bucks or it could be 30 bucks. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

This is the reason I cancelled cable. TWC raised my bill from 85 for cable and internet to 115 with zero warning. Now I pay 55 a month for 50mbit/5mbit and no cable. In another month or two I will get google fiber and be done with TWC forever.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

We've had very little trouble with TWC's no-contract price guarantees, which last 12 months, for the past 4-5 years.

If you don't mark your calendar, and prepare for the annual negotiation, then, sure, you'll get a higher bill after a year, but you shouldn't be shocked or outraged.
Millenium

Millenium to insomniac84

to insomniac84
said by insomniac84:

So the funny business happens at the end of your promotion.

This new "Everyday Low Price" internet offer isn't supposed to be a promotional price. If you go into timewarnercable.com and put in 14063 as your zip code you'll see the offer I'm talking about. All the higher tears have a "$xx.xx for 12 months" designation where the "Everyday Low Price" plane is just "$14.99," without the "for 12 months."

That's not to say there wont be the same annual increases as with all their other services and plans. Or a switch to capped service.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

ROFL

This is lame..

I cut the cord 2 years ago, but still have internet. I'm aware of news, as I get 31 free channels OTA.. So how exactly these claims relevant to anyone. Especially with smart phones. Until I can pick only the channels I want, and only those channels, cable can forget our house as a customer.

••••

syslock
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

syslock

Premium Member

Smoke and Mirrors

Your stocks are flat and your still in denial.
The revolution will be televised... Via devices other than a cable box.

»finance.yahoo.com/news/t ··· 75uTmYlQ

Coax Slasher
@sbcglobal.net

Coax Slasher

Anon

James Carviille said it best

The commercials, stupid!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Forced bundling

Maybe they'll bring back the days when you had to buy basic cable to buy any other service offered by the cableco. Then they'll sign franchising agreements that require basic cable at a minimum to buy any other service so they can use the regulatory requirement excuse.

King_Arthur
@134.223.116.x

King_Arthur

Anon

Killer Rabbits

"...killed by mutant rabbits..."

Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Do they have one with a giant hole in your wallet?

... Just sayin'
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Creepy, sleazy, cheap looking stuff that cost a fortune to produce. LOL

Actually those ads summarize cable TV programs in general today.

I agree with the others who asked who the heck approves these things.
They are creepy, strange, and patronizing the the most obnoxious way.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Weird... but true

There is so much you can't get without cable. Namely sports.

••••••

Simon707
@bell.ca

Simon707

Anon

Ghandi quote

"First they ignore you,
Then they laugh at you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win."

-Ghandi
page: 1 · 2 · next