dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-13 14:06:54: Last summer there was rumblings that DirecTV's exclusive distribution arrangement with the NFL could finally be coming to an end, with Google and Netflix named as possible new partners. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

UGH.

I was really hoping that the exclusive deal would go away to allow other carriers to also carry the NFL package. Regardless, now that the RedZone channel is offered through the NFL the Sunday Ticket isn't as enticing to me. I have my favorite team, but watching the RedZone channel is a good alternative to the high priced Sunday Ticket package.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Bleck

Exclusive deals are crap.

If only there were legal streaming of games

SHergenrader
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Keithville, LA

SHergenrader

Premium Member

Red Zone

I could actually see one of the big points DirecTV wants is for the NFL's version of Red Zone Channel be discontinued if they renew this deal.
SHergenrader

SHergenrader to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz

Re: UGH.

It's not really high priced. It's only $200 a season plus most of the time subs can get it either free (with a contract extension) or half off. Fairly reasonable if you ask me.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

Yeah!

I don't want to have to drop Netflix because they raise prices to cover NFL licensing.

Go DirecTV!

NFLdotCOM
@comcast.net

NFLdotCOM to gigahurtz

Anon

to gigahurtz

As long as I can watch my home team on broadcast TV(or the equiv cable channel), I could care less what they do. I follow other interesting games on NFL.com and using their Game Center.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to SHergenrader

Premium Member

to SHergenrader
Yes, but you must have DirecTV to get the package. Exclusive agreements (on just about everything) is never a good deal for the consumer. Hopefully, this won't happen but I won't hold my breath.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to SHergenrader

Premium Member

to SHergenrader

Re: Red Zone

NFL Red Zone is popular enough that I don’t see them caving into DirecTV if DirecTV requested they shut the channel down.

NFL Red Zone > DirecTV Red Zone, in my opinion. I usually watch DirecTV Red Zone for a little bit on Sundays but I generally can’t stand the host so I’ll switch over to NFL Red Zone Never watched DirecTV RZ that late, but I absolutely love the touchdown montage NFL RZ does before they sign off, not sure if they do something similar on DirecTV or not.

I love whiparound coverage with NFL Red Zone, MLB Strike Zone, ESPN Goal Line and NHL On The Fly on NHL Network but it still doesn't compare to having the full season package for whatever league.

No issues here with the renewal of the contract. Just two businesses coming to an agreement. As long as that’s what both the NFL and DirecTV wanted I am beyond happy with the outcome.

Anon E Muss
@myvzw.com

Anon E Muss

Anon

done with the NFL

been waiting YEARS for Sunday Ticket to be offered on something other than DirecTv. Missed out on plenty of games of my favorite team because of this exclusive deal. Now this? Only 2 million people even get Sunday Ticket. How many millions more would get it if it was offered to everyone? I'm normally against pirating and illegal streams but the NFL has pushed this too far. If millions of people want a product and are willing to pay your asking price but you refuse to offer it then you have ZERO right to complain about piracy.
apple4ever
join:2002-06-16
Coatesville, PA

apple4ever

Terrible

I don't want to get DirecTV. I'm happy with Comcast. The NBA, the MLB, and the NHL all have great fan friendly ways to view. Yeah they still have stupid TV blackouts (not radio, oddly enough), but they are still great. The NFL continues to promote fan unfriendly deals, with this and the Verizon exclusive deal.

Why am I punished because I want Comcast and ATT? Ugh.

Guess instead of paying them money, I'll stream for free. okay then.
blushrts
join:2001-01-06
New Cumberland, PA

blushrts to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Bleck

Your local affiliate doesn't want Sunday ticket available to everyone. It remains somewhat limited if Directv has an exclusive.
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112

Premium Member

Direct TV streaming...everything

My guess is that once they sign off with the NFL...they'll roll out streaming DTV to the masses i.e. cord cutters. There's been rumblings of streaming the service for while...we know that there's a way around the Sunday Ticket limits to buy the streaming portion for awhile now. So my guess they'll go national in the next year to take on the big cable cos. Time Warner, Verizon, Comcast, etc have all been gearing up for this as well. I for one would rather do that...I also see that DTV has a WIFI enable set top box they're rolling out soon as well that would handle the duties. I'm ll for a big pipe to the house and the rest is IP.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to blushrts

to blushrts

Re: Bleck

the local affiliate makes enough money on it, when they are the prefered channel and its on tv they get more money. so more eyes = more money.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Rarely Used

I'm not sure how often I would be able to use Sunday Ticket, even if it were available. Unless the team you follow is in a different market, most people would not get a lot out of this service.

Now that we have Thursday night games (sometimes 2), 3-4 games Sunday afternoon, a Sunday night game, Monday night games (sometimes 2), Red Zone fills the gap nicely for many fans.

As the season develops, any compelling matches are typically available for me to watch, and the flexed Sunday night games will show any critical games for that week.

I only recall a couple times this season where I wanted to watch a game that was not being shown locally. As it happened, on one occasion it was an afternoon game with only 2 other games playing at the same time, and Red Zone generally stayed with the game I was interested in watching for nearly the entire game.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to SHergenrader

Premium Member

to SHergenrader

its overpriced. sure you might get it free for a year but that locks you into a TWO YEAR contract. i can dvr 4 games on sundays and that keeps me in football all day/night long[only pita is i gotta zoom it for the 2 11am games so i dont see the ticker ruining the other game thats on at same time and be fast on the mute button and look away when nfl updates happen]
dvd536

dvd536 to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

Re: Rarely Used

for what they charge for this there shouldn't be blackouts

Thatguy
@cox.net

Thatguy

Anon

There are not any blackouts. If you are blacked out its because that team is playing on a local channel and by rights your local broadcaster has dibbs on the game. Unless that local broadcaster is having issues, then more often than not DirecTV lifts the blackout on the NFL ST channel until the issue is fixed. This year there hasn't been a game that I haven't been able to get between the local broadcaster and NFLST. DirecTV actually has done a remarkable job in this years NFL ST presentation.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

And once again, NFL games will be too expensive for most fans to watch

These exclusive deals make sports incredibly expensive for everybody.
KrK

KrK to Anon E Muss

Premium Member

to Anon E Muss

Re: done with the NFL

What's better.... make $10 off 30,000,000 subs OR make $100 off 2,000,000 subs.

I wish they'd get this. (The NFL)
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by KrK:

What's better.... make $10 off 30,000,000 subs OR make $100 off 2,000,000 subs.

I wish they'd get this. (The NFL)

For commercial subscriptions, which start at a minimum of $1,000 per season and max out at something like $50,000 per season, I seriously doubt they're only making $100 per subscription. DirecTV and the NFL aren't stupid, so there is nothing to 'get'. I would assume they have run the numbers and the people at one of the, if not the biggest sports leagues in the world and one of the biggest TV providers in the country made the right decision.

And I know the number comes from DirecTV but 2 million ST subscribers seems really low. Maybe 2 million residential subscribers, but I find it really hard to believe that includes commercial accounts, which include just about every national chain bar and grille in the country.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to apple4ever

to apple4ever

Re: Terrible

said by apple4ever:

I don't want to get DirecTV. I'm happy with Comcast. The NBA, the MLB, and the NHL all have great fan friendly ways to view. Yeah they still have stupid TV blackouts (not radio, oddly enough), but they are still great. The NFL continues to promote fan unfriendly deals, with this and the Verizon exclusive deal.

Why am I punished because I want Comcast and ATT? Ugh.

Guess instead of paying them money, I'll stream for free. okay then.

The NFL is still the most consumer-friendly pro league in the USA. How many games on free ota tv does your local NBA/NHL/MLB team broadcast?

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

I hope you are being sarcastic..The NFL might possibly be the worst consumer friendly league out there with their exclusive deals.
waycoolphil
join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

waycoolphil to KrK

to KrK

Re: And once again, NFL games will be too expensive for most fans to watch

It makes everything MORE EXPENSIVE when I have to pay for sports channels (ESPN/Disney/Fox holding up the cable and satellite companies who then hold me up) whether I watch sports or not.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to NFLdotCOM

Premium Member

to NFLdotCOM

Unfortunately many of us live in cities far away from our home team.
biochemistry

biochemistry to mogamer

Premium Member

to mogamer

Not even close to consumer friendly. They artificially restrict one network each week to a single game while the other gets a doubleheader. Why Why Why?
biochemistry

biochemistry to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

3 games Sunday afternoon. Not 4. The NFL restricts a doubleheader to one network.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to MrMaster

to MrMaster

I can watch every game my local NFL team plays on free ota tv. My local NBA/MLB/NHL teams only have games available on cable tv, with the exception of national ota network telecasts. And playoff games aren't on the NFL Network. How is that being more consumer friendly than the NFL?

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

1 recommendation

MrMaster

Premium Member

NBA/MLB/NHL games are not all on cable channels. It depends on your market plus not everyone roots for their local market team. However, you can still get a package and in the case of MLB you can get it exclusively online. It's been that way for years. MLB also has a free game each night. NFL network is only on cable and not all cable companies.

Also, how does one explain why it's okay for VZW customers to get an NFL deal and no other carrier? Exclusivity are bad for consumers. Always is.

For me, the NFL is even more troubling. No directTV, No streaming internet, and the team I root for is not in my "local market".

Ogar1978
@ptd.net

Ogar1978 to Thatguy

Anon

to Thatguy

My wife has missed multiple Redskins games because DTV blacked out the game and it was not on local channels.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

The only reason for a local blackout of an NFL games would be because the game was not a sellout within 72 hours of the kickoff time.
page: 1 · 2 · next