spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-13 16:27:36: According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Sprint is pondering a bid to acquire T-Mobile sometime in early 2014. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

Never!

Noooo. Let T-Mobile be. John Legere is rocking it, and will continue to rock the boat.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

2 recommendations

Re: Never!

Yep, wouldn't want Sprint to take on another boat anchor and screw them up like they did Nextel. It's a now win no matter how you look it. Then again, maybe if T-M took over Sprint.. naw, that would just speed up the process. Best leave things along and let nature take it's course.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Please No

Both parties need to get their shit together first before I entertain the idea. So far T-Mobile has been doing a good job this year with price and network upgrades. I look forward to further market disruption and them making headway in expanding coverage.

Sprint on the other hand has a long way to go and hasn't made much progress from my limited point of view. I don't like their current pricing either and would consider leaving T-Mobile if the cost of service were to go up; I left VZW because I'd be saving $50/mo.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

3 recommendations

Re: Please No

Sprint would destroy TMO-USA and Metro. We seen how well Sprint merged iDEN into the CDMA network, God only knows how they'd treat GSM customers.
Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Agreed, and then take 10 years to shut her down... :\

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by TBBroadband:

Sprint would destroy TMO-USA and Metro. We seen how well Sprint merged iDEN into the CDMA network, God only knows how they'd treat GSM customers.

You do realize that Sprints network vision buildout allows a merger like this (two technologies) to happen quite easily and seamlessly. Network integration isnt a problem in that regard.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

Unfortunately, Sprint is still a CDMA based carrier and will be for the foreseeable future. Eventually all carriers will be LTE at a minimum as well as whatever 5G technology eventually evolves but the CDMA 2G and 3G will still be around for a while and that will be a problem for integrating T-Mobile and Sprint.

Personally I hope this does not pass. I really dislike Sprint now and am hoping I can get my employer to switch to T-Mobile. It would really stink to make the jump only to have them back in my life again.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by n2jtx:

but the CDMA 2G and 3G will still be around for a while and that will be a problem for integrating T-Mobile and Sprint.

I am not sure of any markets where sprint still has 2G services. With the new network gear being installed on every sprint tower they could fairly easily integrate T-Mobile into it.
--
DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

said by swintec:

I am not sure of any markets where sprint still has 2G services.

None, as CDMA2000 is a 3G technology.

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI

Sprint switches (and for those who don't have a clue, towers) still handle 2g and will for years to come. But incase you want some better reading, google "Sprint and 2G switches".. and you might be surprised. I've been gone from Sprint for a few years but things have not changed that much.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by tc1uscg:

Sprint switches (and for those who don't have a clue, towers) still handle 2g and will for years to come. But incase you want some better reading, google "Sprint and 2G switches".

Are you referring to 1xRTT for the likes of meter reading, etc? 1xRTT is a 3G technology. What customer phone devices utilize 2G technology?
--
DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
said by swintec:

You do realize that Sprints network vision buildout allows a merger like this (two technologies) to happen quite easily and seamlessly. Network integration isnt a problem in that regard.

Don't bother with facts. He doesn't like those.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

3 recommendations

Most of his posts are nonsense.
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

LOL Sprint loves to take over phone companies and turn them all to rubbish.

Etobicoke, ON

said by brianiscool:

LOL Sprint loves to take over phone companies and turn them all to rubbish.

Because they have such a track record of doing so with so many companies. Please. So many crazies on here.

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI

2 recommendations

But that's where your wrong. You have to look beyond the tech portion of it and see the REAL picture. Why do you think Sprint wanted Nextel? Had NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with the network. They just wanted numbers. Sprint figured they would loose the bandwidth or a good portion of it to the govt anyway. But on the other side, Sprint can hardly integrate the network they have much less someone else's. I lived through the Nextel merger and the countless hours spent trying to merge the two and we see how that worked out now didn't we? Motorola reps warned them but NOOOO, Sprint felt they knew better.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by tc1uscg:

I lived through the Nextel merger and the countless hours spent trying to merge the two and we see how that worked out now didn't we? Motorola reps warned them but NOOOO, Sprint felt they knew better.

What does nextel and iDen integration years ago have to do with merging two networks now, where the equipment is set up to handle this type of integration? You are comparing apples to oranges.
--
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

Where is all this equipment at? Most of the sites still aren't updated for this. Sprint has said before they are behind. Adding something they can not support both network wise and customer support wise would kill that company when everyone switches from TMO to another carrier- even if its prepaid.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by TBBroadband:

Where is all this equipment at? Most of the sites still aren't updated for this.

Actually, just about 30,000 sites of there 39,000 sites have been upgraded in one form or another so far for NV. There are several stages, but many have been signed off for 3G upgrades complete and are waiting on final backhaul and available crews to get there.
--
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
And network vision is no where near being complete to even allow this to happen. Plus you still have 3 different networks operating and a customer service center that can barely support one technology as it is. Network Vision doesn't give them the power they need to support the influx of customers that they would have, let alone the technologies and frequencies that TMO/Metro uses. Are they able to support AWS now? Wifi Calling? NOPE! Sprint needs to finish what they started before rolling out into new technologies and mergers.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

You act like if a purchase happened tomorrow they would scrap T-Mobile and put everyone under sprint. Until NV was completed you would probably see both 'companies' run separate for awhile just as they are now...in fact it is always possible they could keep both separate long term. Regardless, nothing would happen as soon as papers were signed.
--
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

Sprint keeps NOTHING separate. If they did, Nextel customers wouldn't have had to deal with a Sprint "rep" in another country trying to support a device that they had no clue how it worked nor what it even did. They killed those support centers very quickly. But everyone on here seems to forget how those customers, including major businesses were treated- which most aren't with them anymore due to that.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by TBBroadband:

Sprint keeps NOTHING separate. If they did, Nextel customers wouldn't have had to deal with a Sprint "rep" in another country trying to support a device that they had no clue how it worked nor what it even did.

So, how they operated years ago during one merger is how they would handle this one? It is a completely different time now.
--

Etobicoke, ON
They're both running LTE now so the comment doesn't really make sense. They will migrate customers to their LTE network.

tc1uscg

Saint Clair Shores, MI

Ok.. so how do you think once you are out in the middle of now where and you don't have LTE? That's where things fall apart and fast. Guess people who don't leave their yard will never know this. :-0
nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

The lowly customers on cell phones could eventually be given cells to upgrade. But the business type hardware is harder. The stuff that is semi custom for whatever reason like monitoring something in the middle of nowhere.

Etobicoke, ON
said by tc1uscg:

Ok.. so how do you think once you are out in the middle of now where and you don't have LTE? That's where things fall apart and fast. Guess people who don't leave their yard will never know this. :-0

That's already an issue no matter what network you're on. Technology isn't the issue there.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
GSM... hopefully they would merge the networks together, ditching legacy cdma and doing all lte/gsm.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Sprint would kill GSM in favor of their outdated CDMA network. If they deployed GSM from the start or moved to that technology they could have deployed Wifi calling instead of their AiRave devices.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

Wi-Fi calling doesn't have anything to do with the cellular technology used.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

I know it doesn't, but you know Sprint wouldn't support that as its not a product they know anything about. They'd send the customers AiRaves instead.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME

US Cellular..

Id rather see them make a go at US Cellular first to see how they handle and integrate them.
--

•••
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

Sprint

Sprint and their Softbank overlords need to GTFO with this nonsense. They're probably just trying to goose their stock price at a time when they have high churn and a substantial base of dissatisfied customers. Either way, it'll be blocked just like when AT&T tried to buy T-Mo.

•••••••••••••••
Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

1 recommendation

Lets work on the network first.

Seriously? LULZ is all have to comment on this. its so ridiculous im not sure if im awake or dreaming reading this.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Re: Lets work on the network first.

SHHHHHHHHHHH they want you to forget that.
Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX

gosh darn

Sprint has way to much on their plate already!!!!, LEAVE US BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anonome

@verizon.net

When your own business has problems...

bid to take over someone else's business. (That'll keep your mind off your own problems... for awhile.)
Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX

Re: When your own business has problems...

hopefully that's all their doing.., i doubt they will be able to get it threw the DOJ and FCC anyways.. government is likein the idea of having 4 especially now what T-mobile has done this last 2 years... Sprint doesn't even need T-Mobile.. they have alot of spectrum already this is more buying up customers, most of which will flee since we don't like slow speeds, hate cdma phones, or the prices that sprint charges..
TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Re: When your own business has problems...

said by Cobra11M:

or the prices that sprint charges..

I've been with Sprint for years because their pricing is much, much better than I'd get on other networks. Though T-Mo has changed all that recently.
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

Maybe it would be good

Great plan, T-mobile could use another 4 billion dollars
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Re: Maybe it would be good

That would be absolutely hilarious.
dstratton

join:2005-06-15
Shelbyville, KY

2 recommendations

Don't see it happening...

Sprint totally screwed up with the Nextel acquisition. iden + cdma does not mix, as they learned over the course of what, ten years? Does sprint expect cdma + tdma/gsm to do any better?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

OH HELL NO!

please
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

one bad deal to another?

Sprint's been fumbling from one bad deal to another.. after not quite getting right the Nextel deal, Sprint's been fumbling around the wireless industry like a drunk sailor who thinks WWII is still going strong 75 years later...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PeQCPq8QA

Ask yourself has wireless prices & value really improved for the consumer?
For wire line access in many major cities, you can probably say yes... for wireless, no. After about 2006, the state of competition began a steep decline-- since the foxes with control of the hen-house were selling other interest to the highest bidder.

Any move to merge with another company tells you the investment the Japanese made in Sprint is not going well (on their ROI- that it was not well justified). Nevertheless, they probably (or SHOULD HAVE) been going into that transaction EYES WIDE OPEN (at least in a LEGAL SENSE).
davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

3 recommendations

Sprint takeover of T-Mobile

Now that is a great idea. Let me take a group of irresponsible, incompetent, and inept fools and allow them into an expensive crystal shop. Sprint cannot create an outstanding experience for the subscribers it has, how is it supposed to take care of T-Mobile's subscribers with consistent excellence.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Both of them suck

They're not going to be any better together, since they both have horrible coverage. And iDen was a mess. Imagine adding T-Mobile. Sprint already has a technology mess on their hands. T-Mobile has the most standardized technology of the four, but their coverage sucks so bad that it doesn't matter.

••••••••••••••••
VerizonCynic

join:2006-10-25
Lakewood, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

the real issue

the real issue is never the technology side. That is usually worked out. The issue is 5 yrs after this proposed merger would consumers wallets have been better off without it. That question usually takes some time to answer and by then we never get to go back and unwind these things. Look at how consumers wallets have benefited from airline consolidation...right. See how things turned out post ATT/Tmob failure. Just fine thanks. So att as usual was just making up all the BS in their pro merger stuff. I think 90% of mergers benefit wall st types and 10% actually benefit consumers in the long run

this story sums it up well »www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428370,00.asp

--
Lakewood Accountability Action Group | »www.LAAG.us | Demanding action and accountability from local government
hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

Didn't they learn?

From the nextel clustertruck? How would this shake out a gsm and CDMA network?
mingkee27

join:2013-06-21
Brooklyn, NY

One thing is overlooked

Does anybody realize many recent neew T-Mobile customers are from Sprint?
We don't want to go to Hell with Sprint. Other way, I also oppose T-Mobile buy Sprint.
criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Re: One thing is overlooked

said by mingkee27:

Does anybody realize many recent neew T-Mobile customers are from Sprint?

Which is why I expect a new forum here any day now...

said by mingkee27:

We don't want to go to Hell with Sprint.

Too late; many of us ex-Sprint customers have already been to hell and back, and we don't want to go there again...

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

sprint management has failed to address the problems with it's company and even more importantly it's network. If the opposite have been true with T-mobile going for Sprint my other problem would be competition and job losses. This isn't a good deal even if it was to obtain more spectrum no matter what way you spin it. Just my 2 cents.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

Re: ...

FYI, check some of the Tmobile press-releases for the merger with MetroPCS.. there was some soft-pedaled language about prices getting better for the consumer... of course that turned out to be a bunch of lies.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL

Re: ...

Are you trying to say that prices haven't budged since the merger? Or that they actually increased?

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA

What!

Did they learn nothing from the Nextel disaster? At least ATT & T-Mobile made sense. They're both GSM.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Re: What!

said by Black_Mage:

Did they learn nothing from the Nextel disaster? At least ATT & T-Mobile made sense. They're both GSM.

What does that matter? The integration of the two would be fairly easy tech wise due to the all new equipment at all sprint cell sites.
--
shmerl

join:2013-10-21

1 recommendation

Let T-Mobile be already

All these acquisitions are getting annoying. We need more competition, not less. And why would T-Mobile want to sell their business? Aren't they profitable?

Ghost7200

@rr.com

1 recommendation

Sprint Considering T-Mobile Takeover in 2014

I hope this doesn't happen. Because where I live Sprint has very bad coverage here. My brother I live in the same house he has Sprint and he had to get Sprint's Airwave device (AKA CEL over IP). When we moved here I had Sprint's Boost Mobile CDMA. Then my brother got the Airwave, My servirce got bad to worse because the Airwave blocked Boost Mobile even though Boost mobile and Sprint ran on the same network. Sprint destined it that way. I switched to MetroPCS and I got better service. Then MetroPCS and T-Moble merged. I upgraded my phone to a 4G GSM version of MetroPCS and the service got even better. People that I talked to on the phone say I sound a lot clearer. If Sprint acquires T-Moble then kills off GSM and puts everybody on CDMA, it will be disastrous. The CDMA network is a dinosaur technology. If I were Sprint I would move everybody off the CDMA and put them on GSM HSPA+

Mick011111

@verizon.net

Re: Sprint Considering T-Mobile Takeover in 2014

I wonder if MetroPCS will become not unlimited $40.00 or T-mobile will change too. Clearwire was unlimited $49 now it is gone. Sprint eliminated the company and unlimited. Will they finish Metro? Cut services? Raise prices?