dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-19 16:37:37: DSLReports reader [user=McLovin] directs our attention to the fact that Alaska cable operator GCI is the latest ISP to piggyback on the public and press obsession with 1 Gbps speeds recently started by Google Fiber. ..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Red lines...

...or redlining?
»www.gci.com/internet/fibered/map
You asked for it, and now you have to hope you live in the right place, and all your neighbors agree, and are credit worthy, and the local company can compete for investor cash to complete the build, and the you'll be able to afford the end result.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: Red lines...

That map covers almost everywhere in Anchorage that has a decent population density. There may be a few areas that are redlined out over by UAA/ Botanical Garden, but for the most part, it looks like they are considering most of the population of the city.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

But every POTENTIAL fiberhood has to buy in to get service rather than the universal build outs required by incumbents, and this is rapidly becoming the acceptable way it is done.
eventually you'll end up across the country of fiberhoods or broadbandless slums, the haves and the have-nots.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Then maybe more neighborhoods should sign up. They'll still have cable and DSL even without fiber. I guess it just sucks for people with tech retarded neighbors.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

Alaska, land of caps

GCI love their data caps!
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

Pricey

$212 for internet? God bless!

What in the world are they going to ask for Fiber re:D?

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah

Re: Pricey

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK

McLovin to Millenium

Premium Member

to Millenium
Allegedly the 1Gbps service will be the same cost as I'm paying now for the 100Mbps service ($175/mo). Mind you this is on top of CATV offerings, as my total bill is now about $260/mo. I have cellular service with them as well, but can't bundle that with anything else, but it is far cheaper that AT&T/Verizon
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Some of the Most Punitive Caps in the Country

GCI has low caps, and charges by the MB, and the price depends on the speed and service you receive. Alaska deserves better, but because of their isolation, GCI can pretty much get away with murder up there.

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK

McLovin

Premium Member

Re: Some of the Most Punitive Caps in the Country

They can and do. No other option, really.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Money

With all of the money Alaska has, why not just build their own FTTH network?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

100Mbps @ 500GB/Mo?

I pull that with my current 30Mbps Cable Modem service in a week or two (Steam redownload).

rb
@google.com

rb

Anon

ACS announced fiber to the node.

This site didn't accept my submission that Alaska Communications, the area telco, announced a fiber to the node project in their recent stock filings. GCI might actually get competition.