spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-20 14:12:52: T-Mobile's new "uncarrier" strategy has been paying dividends for the company, price disruption efforts like free international data roaming, the elimination of device subsidies and handset upgrade programs resulting in strong quarterly subscriber ga.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Competition

Competition here is good and must be preserved at all costs.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

said by biochemistry:

YES!!! Yet another reason Sprint must be told in no uncertain terms to keeps its dirty hands off of T-Mobile. Frankly I think their interest in T-Mobile is no different than AT&T's was; to kill off a competitor in order to continue business as usual. Hopefully T-Mobile will continue to pull new rabbits out of its hat. I hope to switch back sometime in 2014 after a two-year hiatus.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

Sprint..

Sprint used to do this all back in the day of the "SERO," or Sprint Employee Referral Offer days, which required merely going to a special site to sign up with an employees email address as the referral. Back then, they'd do anything to get you to sign up, including pay your Early Termination Fee if you switched from other networks, headset discounts at $50 per line, perks beyond belief, and to go with that, the plan started at $35/mo with 500 minutes, free nights and weekends starting at 6PM or 7PM, and unlimited data and text and other services. EVDO cards for PCs were also cheap and unlimited, started at $49.99. If you tried to cancel service, you'd end up with all sorts of additional 'perks' including $10 to $20 dollar a month discounts for life. It was great.

They ended the deal back in 2008/2009, and replaced it with the much less awesome "EPRP plan" which doesn't include any of that except for a crappy $10 dollar a month discount and a few extra freebies like more minutes and stuff over the regular plans.

Link: »delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/···ding.asp
--
www.oregonstatehospital.net - CIA and state of Oregon set me up and targeted me with a microwave weapon, learn more.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

I'm still using "SERO Premium". But it's $50 plus taxes and fees for 500 landline during weekday minutes and unlimited everything else. Not quite $35, but still somewhat reasonable, particularly since I never use that amount of minutes.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to n2jtx

Re: Competition

Jump back in the pool sir ! The water is warm and the drinks are flowing

All kidding aside, I am loving TMO at this juncture $120 a month, they have global roaming of data and messaging for free. and .20 a minute to the local carriers.

Right now Im in colombia we are all pretty much data obsessed here. Chat app open and communicating between all my friends and family as if I had no worries. And the great part is no $25 unlimited sim swap needed. although its cheap as hell here for unlimited everything with local calls ($25 a month for 4g lte unlimited data txts and minutes.) it's $25 i don't have to spend.

Thanks Tmobile ! I'll be a long time customer until you try and screw my family like Verizon did !
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
·GCI.net

T-Mobile will be Sold to Someone in 2014

DT wants out of the US market and T-Mobile has burned through the $3 billion in cash AT&T had to give them for the merger break up.

If it's not SoftBank, which has the money to keep build outs going it will be Dish under which T-Mobile will be just like Sprint prior to SoftBank's buyout - Penniless and unable to perform build outs.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

This sounds awesome....

It's not just what T-Mobile does... It's what they're making others do.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

reply to jtel

Re: T-Mobile will be Sold to Someone in 2014

said by jtel:

DT wants out of the US market and T-Mobile has burned through the $3 billion in cash AT&T had to give them for the merger break up.

Cite? New stories I've seen recently is that TMO is turning a profit.

Here ya go: »www.dailytech.com/TMobile+Announ···3133.htm

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
·GCI.net

said by jseymour:

said by jtel:

Cite? New stories I've seen recently is that TMO is turning a profit.

Here ya go: »www.dailytech.com/TMobile+Announ···3133.htm

Right back at you. It's been known since the AT&T breakup that T-Mobile wasn't viable in the long term.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-2···ile.html

They've been burning up the $3 billion that they received from AT&T to pay for their network upgrades. It's gone and what they make is not enough for their plans. All of this bravado was from that free $3 billion and the added free spectrum.

If they were such a hot property you should ask yourself why DT is still looking to get out.

Game over.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

Uh... that article is from 2 uyears ago. T-mobile has a lot of momentum right now. You are truly deluded if you believe it's "game over". T-mobile's disruption has caught the other carriers completely off guard.

delusion ftl

@comcast.net
reply to jtel

How embarrassing to post a more than two year old article as evidence of current position. Does BBR allow someone edit or remove posts? If so I would STRONGLY recommend you do so.

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

T-Mobile Hints at 'Uncarrier' Phase 4: Pay Your ETF to Switch?

i guess i shouldnt have switched so soon lol

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to jtel

Plain nonsense. DT is gradually reducing it's share in the TMO US and at this pace they will not be a majority stock holder anyway in a couple of years.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom

I really wish133;

…that TMO would service this area better as I would dump overpriced and tight-device-control VZW in a heartbeat. Edge only for the most part, 3G in the slightly larger towns, and 4G in the larger cities. The little town has ATT,VZW, & Sprint, but no TMO service whatsoever. What a shame, too.

Expand your moderator at work

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to jtel

The argument you held would of been true if they didn't merge with MetroPCS. That's what really saved them and the MetroPCS model was adopted which offloads the cost of the phone away from the plans keeping a flat rate service possible. A additional 10-20 bucks on my bill simply because they want the slush fund to subsidize the most expensive handset. Even after you pay for the phone in full you have been still contributing towards that slush fund. No thanks, if you want a 500+ dollar phone you can pay for it yourself you broke hippie.

uberjon

join:2010-02-10
Kane, PA
reply to RyanThaDude

Re: I really wish133;

Better off than my town. Verizon lte att edge no sprint or tmobile. >_>

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Still no coverage

This sort of stuff sounds great, but it still doesn't change the fact that T-Mobile has extremely poor coverage.

ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Good to hear, but can they make it?

I mean, they offered like so many things, do they even get revenue from their customers? Just wondering.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to jtel

Bloomberg really? Like they can be trusted.

»www.businessinsider.com/bloomber···-2013-12

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to BiggA

Re: Still no coverage

speak for yourself, they have excellent coverage in my area and in areas I have traveled.

KGT

@rr.com
reply to ipwn3r456

Re: Good to hear, but can they make it?

Do you know how profitable the wireless industry is?
AT&T alone made almost $4 Billion last quarter! Verizon more than $2 Billion.
Verizon and AT&T make a killing selling for many dollars what costs them pennies to provide. This has been the status quo for a long time.
Even #4 T-Mobile made over $1 Billion last quarter!
Sprint's lack of good profitability is due to many bad, bad decisions by management over the years. Hopefully with Softbank in control, they will finally dig themselves out.

T-Mobile is gaining customers by bringing back some sanity to wireless pricing. (And even then, they're making money!) Of course they can make it.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to sandman_1

said by sandman_1:

speak for yourself, they have excellent coverage in my area and in areas I have traveled.

Where have you travelled to? Outside of cities on the east coast?

Their coverage is terrible, worst than Sprint.
If they have proper coverage more people would use them and they wouldn't have to resort to gimmicks to attract new customers, who will switch back within a few months.

I hope when people convert to T-Mobile, that they pay to switch them back.

shmerl

join:2013-10-21

What's the story with Deutsche Telekom?

Why do they want to sell off T-Mobile?

Eek2121

join:2002-10-12
Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to n2jtx

Dirty hands? While I am in no way supportive of Sprint taking over T-Mobile, sprint is home to not one, but two of the most disruptive MVNOs on the market. FreedomPop (which gives away data and voice for free) and Republic Wireless (the most amazing carrier in existence.)

said by n2jtx:

said by biochemistry:

YES!!! Yet another reason Sprint must be told in no uncertain terms to keeps its dirty hands off of T-Mobile. Frankly I think their interest in T-Mobile is no different than AT&T's was; to kill off a competitor in order to continue business as usual. Hopefully T-Mobile will continue to pull new rabbits out of its hat. I hope to switch back sometime in 2014 after a two-year hiatus.

--
My beta Ruby on Rails tutorial site!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to toby

Exactly. Maybe T-Mobile could attract some frequent international business travelers or jet-setters who will have a T-Mo phone for global roaming and a Verizon or AT&T phone for domestic use, but let's face it, that's a tiny market.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to Eek2121

Neither Freedompop or Republic are owned by Sprint. They only have "agreements" with them that allow users to use Sprint when outside their coverage area. Republic does kick ass though.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to jtel

... like others said that article is 2 years old!, T-mobile is turning a profit like crazy now.. think its about what 5 billion a quarter? not bad for a company that was way under

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to uberjon

Re: I really wish133;

got them all here, but, Verizon has LTE, AT&T 4G, Sprint has 4G (wimax) and T Mobile has 4G on their HSPA+.. which of course means T mobile's speeds beat pretty much every body's.. besides maybe Verizon.. but im no complaining since I'm getting easy 6+ Mbps, and have gotten 10-12 Mbps.. on a phone that has a max of 14Mbps so not bad at all..

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to BiggA

doubt it, T-Mobile has everything in place.., they want to get their hands on the lower band spectrum to fix coverage... if they can get that then well