dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-30 08:47:45: A new report by Der Spiegel, based on yet another round of leaked NSA documents, indicates how the NSA uses a wide variety of backdoors to access computers, hard drives, routers, and other devices from companies such as Cisco, Dell, Western Digital, .. ..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

NSA

what they have access to, HACKERS also have access to!
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

So do you, technically.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Ummm

I'd like to see this 50 page catalog.

I bet you've got a surge coming if your firewall company isn't listed.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

gaforces (banned) to dvd536

to dvd536

Re: NSA

Wondering if the Target breach has anything to do with this ...
Looks like damages if so.
There has been a large amount of company's in the US hacked, and it seems unlikely that so many business' would have unpatched servers.

Throw all those company's under the bus, just to catch an old man?

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

this is why you want to create your own stuff

This is why you want to use linux based software.....

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Just a reminder
»1.usa.gov/1hPYN6j
jvanbrecht
join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD

jvanbrecht to gaforces

to gaforces

Most of these retailers all use the same type of POS systems, and in some cases, from the same POS vendor, so a likely attack against one, would be successful against others.
jvanbrecht

jvanbrecht to treich

to treich

Re: this is why you want to create your own stuff

Which will make no difference since the random number generator used in linux (and I think to some extent some of the BSDs) is based on the NIST RNG guidance, which if rumours are to be believed, is also not safe.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

it depends on what linux you run also because Linus Torvalds said there is NO BACKDOORS in linux and even the NSA asked him if they can install backdoors in linux and he said NO.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

This is why they put it directly into in the hardware.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to treich

to treich
Linux updates can be used to install gov spyware and I'm sure this is included in that 'catalog'

If you want to be almost completely 'safe' it is better to use a livecd linux like knoopix in a diskless old motherboard computer. When you turn off the computer everything is gone... well everything except for the BIOS and possible hidden storage devices inside new motherboards.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

On a personal level...

at this point in time I'd probably throw my trust in with a Chinese-hacked motherboard, BIOS, disk drive, and network gear as the Chinese don't have a vested interest in using ALL the information they can gather against me at some future date, unlike some over zealous US Gubbmit attorney - should I commit any Pre-Crime thoughts.

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

say what you want about Huawei

But I bet they DON'T work with the NSA. So while they may spy on you, it won't have any effect on your life in the USA. Maybe we should ALL buy Huawei.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

True... the lesser of two evils.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

"back door"?

Someone needs to send them a dictionary. What they've described are not "back doors" (code specifically placed in a system to allow access), but are all hacks and exploits used to shoe-spoon their payload into the system. This isn't new; it's been going on for decades. You too can play with this sort of "toy" by downloading metasploit. The NSA, obviously, has better toys, but they aren't unique.

Also, does anyone else find it cute they have "back doors" into Huawei tech? The very people they accuse of placing backdoors for the chinese government. "We know you installed backdoors, because we're using them!"
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces

Often times ignorance is the culprit. Remember a few years ago when at least some Best Buy stores processed in-store transactions wirelessly, unencrypted?
openbox9

openbox9 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: On a personal level...

said by MaynardKrebs:

Chinese don't have a vested interest in using ALL the information they can gather against me at some future date

You know that?
openbox9

openbox9 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer

Re: "back door"?

said by cramer:

What they've described are not "back doors" (code specifically placed in a system to allow access), but are all hacks and exploits used to shoe-spoon their payload into the system.

But that doesn't make for as juicy of a headline.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Crazy idea

Instead of spending crazy money on developing all these attack tools, how about figuring out to secure our own networks here in the USA before attacking other networks around the world and getting hacked because someone forgot to patch a system.
ackman
join:2000-10-04
Atlanta, GA

ackman to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: On a personal level...

The Communist Chinese are the FIRST ones who would look to benefit from any stolen information. The NSA isn't far behind them.
ackman

ackman to Camaro

to Camaro

Re: Crazy idea

Because offensive weapons generate much more revenue and are easier to justify, because of the "unknown threats" they allegedly seek.

brentwood
@ptsi.net

brentwood to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536

that is correct