dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-30 08:58:34: According to a Wall Street Journal report, Google will announce next week at CES that the company is working with Audi on a new Android-based in-car infotainment system. ..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Apple

i'd NEVER buy a car that had apple influence.
'can't start car, quicktime not found'
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: Apple

Only if it's running Windows.

FreedomThink
@mycingular.net

FreedomThink to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536
I agree but will take it one step further I will never buy a car that violates my constitutional rights to privacy. Google, Apple, pretty much any corporation that has bowed to the NSA will not be a choice I will freely make with hard earned money. Cars made in the before the mid 90s will be all I ever drive.

Let the sheep be enslaved and monitored while they pay for it. Not I
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt

Really? You do realize crash data has been stored in cars for a long time, right? Or are you only driving cars older than 1994?

Silly privacy arguments, make arguments that are legitimate - not ones you're not even remotely informed about.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

I dont think crash data is the issue. GPS and constant network connection might be. "We noticed you just left xxx fap shop, would you like directions to the nearest car wash". "We see you spent 45 minutes at the GYM, you can find a mcdonalds 5 minutes away". "We see youve been parked in front of xxx house we are notifying the local authorities because he is a suspected (insert crime here). Besides all that people have trouble driving now as it is add into a car with location awareness and internet access and your getting a whole different mess to deal with.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt

Not really, that issue exists with or without cars. You're conflating an issue with personal data being transmitted with where that information already exists (hello, phones?).

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to FreedomThink

Premium Member

to FreedomThink
I would not worry since not all 2000 to 2005 cars have tracking i.e onstar these used old analog services (they can be pulled from the car as well since it's not buried deep into the cars wiring system)

OBD3 or OBD-III does violate constitutional rights i.e wire tapping or unlawful search and seizure which is why it's not used in cars yet.

sure a mandatory adapter will convert your old OBD1 and OBD2 to OBD-3 Lite

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

!

The key here would be the data implementation. Currently BlueLink uses CDMA via Sprint/Verizon and is limited to the amount of data. You look at OnStar and I believe it's also CDMA. Moving over to GSM/LTE for these new systems will be correct. Customers can insert a SIM into the dash or it can be provided as a service via the car companies website. At the expense of locking you out of certain features such as Navigation via Google Maps, Apple Maps, whatever unless you pay for the plus package. I can see this being implemented that way.

Don't expect these new infotainment systems to come cheap. However this could allow them to be included now on every vehicle to include economic cars. Offering it as a paid service makes the most sense because the user can choose to use it.

To expect a free for all is nothing but fantasy for such a implementation. Those who already have such systems should stick to their modified dash units which provides the most flexibility. As for privacy advocates the current GPS units and onboard OnStar, Bluelink services already are a giveaway. Simply adding more functionality does not change the privacy issue here. So as far as this making it out to be worse than what's currently implemented is wrong. Unless they now include a camera on the dash.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Re: !

free maybe not But I hope they can work a deal for a least fringe roaming so you don't get hit with the high $15-$20+ a meg data bills near a boarder. Also maybe even an Canada data pack.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Correct. However since I believe most would prefer to sell it as a service I think for the most part they will want users to simply pay a flat rate cost per year and they will lock down any real settings for the onboard radio. The other option would be for users to use the cell device they currently have via bluetooth which I doubt they will do because of the ever so many different profiles and specific items that would and would not work on each phone.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

The Ford Sync system uses a bluetooth connection to the user's phone for most operations. A subscription is only needed if one wants to use Ford's nav and search services.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

I wish Google or Apple would work on an aftermarket radio

The infotainment systems built into higher end cars are quite nice, but the selection of aftermarket gear you can buy is still absolutely pitiful.

The junk that Pioneer, JVC, Sony are peddling is embarrassing. They remind me a lot of smartphones before the iPhone came out. Features galore, but common sense, intuitiveness, ergonomics, and product updates post-purchase is just not there. A lot of these devices run Windows CE, so I suppose it's an appropriate analogy.

Last year I bought a what-ought-to-be-nice Pioneer AVIC-X850BT double-din NAV system. Checking reviews, they seemed to indicate that it was a pretty good unit. The usability issues are absolutely ridiculous:

1) It takes too long to boot up.
2) If you're using Bluetooth audio, it takes about 2 minutes before it completes a bluetooth handshake (partially due to 1), and then it doesn't automatically resume playing when you start and stop the car. You have to hit play every time you get in, after it finally completes the connection. I've been in some base model rental-cars that can do this quickly and without issue.
3) If you use a memory stick, the thing scans every song on the stick before it plays, on every boot-up. If you have even a moderate amount of songs, it takes even longer than the bluetooth handshake to start playing (but at least it does so automatically).
4) It has a very convoluted mess of a user interface. Just trying to get the thing to announce street names involved changing the language, and doing something as simple as panning around the navigation map is confusing.

It's like they build this stuff to just barely be acceptable so it can be sold, and then they move onto next year's model.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Re: I wish Google or Apple would work on an aftermarket radio

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PxvwuIyM

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Touch screen is a horrible interface for a car.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

I prefer voice commands the best.

atcotr
@rr.com

atcotr

Anon

"Infotainment"

That word irks me. I understand how it literally means information + entertainment, but it sounds like newspeak, as if the information is being watered down to become entertainment.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I wish there were restrictions

I wish the government would ban these infotainment systems and restrict car electronics to simple car stereos that can play CDs/tapes, AM/FM, and music off of iPods and iPhones or MP3 players I personally think these high tech infotainment systems are going to increase the number of crashes due to distracted driving.

My car has an aftermarket stereo that can play the music off my iPhone and a Sirius radio. Nothing more although I have an OnStar FMV that isn't active.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: I wish there were restrictions

said by IowaCowboy:

I personally think these high tech infotainment systems are going to increase the number of crashes due to distracted driving.

The factory configurations that I've used allow very little to be done while the vehicle is engaged and moving. I understand the safety aspect, but some of the restrictions are extremely annoying. Personally, voice activated/controlled systems are where the market should continue to go.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

said by IowaCowboy:

I personally think these high tech infotainment systems are going to increase the number of crashes due to distracted driving.

The factory configurations that I've used allow very little to be done while the vehicle is engaged and moving. I understand the safety aspect, but some of the restrictions are extremely annoying. Personally, voice activated/controlled systems are where the market should continue to go.

I don't care if it's voice activated or hands free, 100 percent of your attention should be on driving. But I will admit I do adjust the radio or climate control while driving but those are done by tactile buttons/knobs so my eyes remain on the road. I can change the songs on my iPhone though the car deck by the buttons. But the way these infotainment systems are going are touchscreen and those require you to look at them to operate them since you can't feel the controls so that will cause crashes.

I think cars should be limited to buttons, levers, and knob controls and not touchscreens for the safety of motorists and pedestrians alike.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

100 percent of your attention should be on driving.

Then no amenities, no passengers, no ability to open/close windows, no radio, no cigarette lighters for those so inclined, etc.
said by IowaCowboy:

I can change the songs on my iPhone though the car deck by the buttons.

Obviously decreasing your 100% focus on driving.
said by IowaCowboy:

those require you to look at them to operate them since you can't feel the controls so that will cause crashes.

Steering wheel controls. Also, this is where voice activation/control comes into play. No need to touch anything. Just talk, which you're likely already doing if you have passengers anyway.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Except for the fact that voice activated controls are far more complex, cost more, and are prone to glitches and misunderstanding when compared to other touchscreen systems much less tactile buttons.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Glitches, yes, but the technology continues to advace fairly quickly.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

That it does, but it hasn't necessarily grown more reliable or cheaper to fix.

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

My wife's Escape has a touch screen, but all are accessible via voice commands and most have tactile buttons.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Earlier in the fall Nate Burleson, a wideout for the Detroit Lions got into a car accident when he tried to pick up a pizza that slid off the passenger side seat while driving. Let's ban pizza in cars.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Sync

I Think it data should be done the way my ford espace does it using ford Sync. It uses the phone's data plan for all most everything.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

How will this change things?

quote:
Historically most in-car infotainment systems have suffered from laggy, poorly designed GUIs, something Google's entry into the market should help.
And how will Android change this? Generally Android is laggy and poorly designed. And now you have an attack vector for the increasing Android Malware in your car. Nope, no thanks!

At least Apple gets it partially right - let the car be the "keyboard and mouse" and have the phone do the heavy lifting with screen updates sent to the nav screen.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Re: How will this change things?

said by itguy05:

Android is laggy

I guess you mainly use it on cheap low-end phones and tablets.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

quote:
I guess you mainly use it on cheap low-end phones and tablets.
I wouldn't have called a Droid X a low end phone - it was one of the best Android phones when I got it in 2010. And it was buggy, laggy, and dropped like a hot potato by Motorola.

You don't hear many complaints about iOS 7 on iPhone 4 (released the same time as the DX) and at least that phone actually got an OS upgrade!

Yes, I have not used a "modern" Android device but the experience was so bad I gave up. Maybe some day but for now I'm quite content in the iOS camp. It is much more reliable, more integrated and just seems to be all around better.

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

My experience with the Nexus 4 has been stellar! I think the problems arise when hardware manufacturers tweak it with their own GUI overlays and bloatware.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
As an owner of two Droid X handsets, they were ok, not great. Android has improved significantly in the last three years. As for iOS, different strokes for different folks. I have a 4S collecting dust because the iOS interface annoys me.