dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-30 17:33:04: You might recall that one of the 46 recommendations made by the government's Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technologies was that the phone companies themselves should be tasked with holding on to user data. ..

jorcmg
join:2002-10-24
USA

jorcmg

waste

Didn't the goverment build that disgusting waste of taxpayers dollars in Utah for this purpose.

Just use that...they are going to do it anyways. Don't pay the phone companies for the illusion. Save the money so you can waste it elsewhere.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by jorcmg:

Didn't the goverment build that disgusting waste of taxpayers dollars in Utah for this purpose.

Just use that...they are going to do it anyways. Don't pay the phone companies for the illusion. Save the money so you can waste it elsewhere.

The disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars in Utah apparently shoots lightening bolts through the equipment (my how appropriate) so it can't be used for a while.
jorcmg
USA

jorcmg

That was just one of the snoops showing off his new ACME Lightning Bolt Assassination Kit he borrowed from the coyote.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

I run an ISP and telephone service

Even if we had extra "immunity" it still doesnt work. If our call logging database gets hacked, the public relations is a nightmare. Sure we might not get punished in the courts, but public relations is more important to us.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to jorcmg

to jorcmg

Re: waste

said by jorcmg:

That was just one of the snoops showing off his new ACME Lightning Bolt Assassination Kit he borrowed from the coyote.

I prefer to think of it as Karma.
jorcmg
USA

jorcmg

I was kidding. The NSA testified under oath before congress that this facility was actually being used for on-location shooting for the new Thor movie and Thors hammer didn't actually cause any damage.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor

Re: I run an ISP and telephone service

The phone companies do not care about public relations. They have Washington in their pockets and allowed to do what ever they want without fear of punishment.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

full circle?

Every time I think about the phone companies of today I think back to what once was....

»www.eff.org/deeplinks/20 ··· ears-ago
quote:
How Ma Bell Fought for Your Privacy - 80 Years Ago

Once upon a time, nearly eighty years ago, AT&T fought at the Supreme Court to stop the government's warrantless surveillance of Americans' private communications.

How times have changed.

So let's see using "one major carriers" estimations every one who is a "phone service provider" gets $50 million dollars to retain an extremely simple database for 5 years? Makes me want to open a phone company

TAZ
@qwest.net

TAZ

Anon

Also around that time:
quote:
Vail introduced the concept ... that maximum private profit was not necessarily the primary objective of private enterprise. Profit was necessary to insure financial health...but was only one element in an equation.
(Yes I realize "AT&T" today isn't the same corporate entity as Ma Bell AT&T, but SBC bought that entity, so....)

Nowadays... come up with that $25 if you want another GB! :P
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

A bit surprised at this myself

Given the push towards "keep everything, forever" data warehousing over the past decade or two, and the more recent push towards "big data" processing, I'm a bit surprised that the phone companies don't ALREADY keep this data around pretty much indefinitely (if they are in fact being truthful here). But I suspect their concerns are valid, and that such long data retention would lead to a constant stream of requests for this data from law enforcement, divorce lawyers, and so on - more than they already have to deal with, anyway.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to jorcmg

to jorcmg

You do realize they are being asked to maintain a 15 year database, right? Check applebaum's video about NSA spying and he discusses the storage requirements.

The costs are astronomical and almost impossible to forecast for such an approach for any phone company. If usage doubles every couple years and/or fluctuates, how is someone supposed to guess usage needs 15 years from now?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

skynet

the gathering of telecom data to central locations brings the world closer to Armageddon day while being cited as a good and just cause

when you think of it, how much has the world changed (the polar opposite rules different strata of society lives by) since the day the towers fell and been used to justify those changes?

will the next presidential democrat or republican candidates be YOUR choice to rubber stamp this continued policy agenda?

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to jorcmg

Premium Member

to jorcmg

Waste. The government spends $400 a gallon to create power using hgh horsepower generators and equipment. The people blowing the money are OUT OF CONTROL!

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

'should'

The President uses the word 'should' a lot, instead of can or can't. As in the NSA shouldn't hold on to metadata, or the American People should feel better now that I've suggested the bad guys should behave..... which means it is basically a suggestion, not an order or command.

So..... in other words.... what will happen???? 'Should' we be surprised when nothing happens??