spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-12-31 08:44:18: Comcast VP of Comcast's Internet & Communications Engineering division Jason Livingood has stopped by our Comcast forums to note that a software bug is causing connectivity issues for Xbox One owners who connect via Wi-Fi to their Comcast broadband c.. ..

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

one of many.

its just the beginning.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Who?

Does any online gaming with WiFi?

Gaming is a job for Ethernet.

Where is the bug, is Comcast's Wifi equipment or the xbox?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
Looks like Microsoft's Xbox One code.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

probably the wifi ipv6 stack, just like windows 8 it takes precedence over the v4 stack, and they are hesitant to patch it. Im guessing that the dual stack method is a bad idea for their wifi driver.

If comcast would just get off their ass and role out ipv6 to all their current modems they would be in a good place, but it's a shame because their gateways don't have an ipv6 firewall !
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to buzz_4_20
said by buzz_4_20:

Does any online gaming with WiFi?

Gaming is a job for Ethernet.

Where is the bug, is Comcast's Wifi equipment or the xbox?

Gaming over WiFi works identical to gaming over Ethernet. Gaming barely uses any bandwidth. When I've used the WiFi connection on my consoles, there was zero difference playing compared to when I used a wired connection. Everything was still fast and lag free.

I've even played over Wifi connecting to a cellular Hot spot. I could not tell the difference in game play while playing call of Duty. It worked great. But that was when I found out how little bandwidth the gameplay actually used. I bought a bunch of data for a T-Mobile HotSpot while my FiOS connection was down from a botched Verizon upgrade to 150/65.. And even though I played dozens of hours online over cellular, I didn't come anywhere close to even using a quarter of the data I purchased.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
It's not about bandwidth it's about latency. But WiFi is fickle and inconsistent, ESP if you live in an apartment building, or have a lot of devices connected.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to aaronwt
As buzz stated, it's not the bandwidth, it's the latency and QoS.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to BosstonesOwn
Ha I was saying two months ago I wouldn't touch an xbone with all their teredo hacked ipv6 code in there. Looks like theft have some testing to do...

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

1 edit

wifi/wired

why would any professional gamer use wifi for latency critical games such as any of the COD series games ?
doesnt make much sense.
as the previous members stated, its not the speed, its the latency that matters, especially when gaming, that 50ms makes a big difference with the trigger.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

BypassIPV6

@comcast.net
reply to Karl Bode

Re: Who?

said by Karl Bode:

Looks like Microsoft's Xbox One code.

If this causing a problem, just turn off IPV6 in the router as a circumvention.

BypassIPV6

@comcast.net
reply to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

As buzz stated, it's not the bandwidth, it's the latency and QoS.

Latency and QOS not a problem on wifi if you have a late model powerful router like a Netgear R7000.

nonon

@worldpath.net
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Re: wifi/wired

"professional gamer".... LOL

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to BypassIPV6

said by BypassIPV6 :

Latency and QOS not a problem on wifi if you have a late model powerful router like a Netgear R7000.

..or even a WNDR4000 with dd-wrt on it. I've been getting 3ms pings to our cable modem over WiFi, so I don't see the latency or QoS issue.

One issue that I do see is the crappy firmware usually installed on the router. Replace that with something better (dd-wrt, OpenWrt, Tomato, etc) and it makes a huge difference.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

why would any professional gamer use wifi for latency critical games such as any of the COD series games ?
doesnt make much sense.
as the previous members stated, its not the speed, its the latency that matters, especially when gaming, that 50ms makes a big difference with the trigger.

Professional Gamer? How many people are professional gamers. When I use WiFi on a Gaming console, the latency is in only a few ms higher than from my wired connection. Which is negligible from a user perspective.
Now when I used wireless with a cellular Hotspot, then I had higher latency, but not high enough to mess me up playing any online games.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to nonon
said by nonon :

"professional gamer".... LOL

hey, to each their own.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to IllIlIlllIll
said by IllIlIlllIll:

why would any professional gamer use wifi for latency critical games such as any of the COD series games?

Here is my personal take on WiFi vers wired.. "Wired where you can and WiFi where you can't"

WiFi has come along way but you still have a half-duplex system.. And WiFi has outside interference and influence that you cant control.. But that is my two cents..

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
said by NetDog:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

why would any professional gamer use wifi for latency critical games such as any of the COD series games?

Here is my personal take on WiFi vers wired.. "Wired where you can and WiFi where you can't"

WiFi has come along way but you still have a half-duplex system.. And WiFi has outside interference and influence that you cant control.. But that is my two cents..

as far as im concerned, i prefer wired over wireless and as little hops to the internet modem as possible - latency critical games depend on it as i said, that 50ms could mean the difference with the weapon trigger to a victory or a loss in a multiplayer deathmatch
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
said by IllIlIlllIll:

that 50ms could mean the difference

If wi-fi is adding 50 ms of latency to your connection, something is wrong with your wireless setup.

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

Have this issue on AT&T U-Verse

I had this issue with AT&T U-VERSE my XBOX ONE is on WIFI and I do have IPV6 on my network, Call of Duty Ghosts would not work, could not load multiplayer always told me I had no internet connection but other games and apps worked fine, I had to return Ghosts, XBOX Technical support was useless when I called them about the issue.
--
»www.w4lny.com

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Memories of Fred Savage and The Wizard »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_w···ster.jpg

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to dbeatson

Re: Have this issue on AT&T U-Verse

Did you try wired? does it work then?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Simba7

You may not, but wifi in general should be avoided unless you have to absolutely use it and then that is just the way it goes.

Problems with wireless
Latency
Dropped packets
Retransmissions
Limited bandwidth
Limited bandwidth that gets even more limited as more devices connect

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN
reply to dbeatson

Re: Have this issue on AT&T U-Verse

That is why it seems odd comcast is being brought into a microsoft bone ipv6 issue. Comcast is not the owner of ipv6.