dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-03 16:20:18: The cable industry has used their "TV Everywhere initiative" to try and make existing customers less likely to cut the cord, by ramping up the ways users can consume TV content over PCs, tablets and smartphones. ..

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

TV Somewhere

Yes, TV everywhere except on my Roku 3 with HBO Go if Comcast is your provider.
Uplinkpro
join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

Uplinkpro

Re: TV Somewhere

Not sure if Suddenlink2Go counts as "TV Everywhere," but since they have data caps it's a moot point anyway.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Get a Chromecast. You can then stream HBO Go through Chrome on your computer and then cast that tab to your TV.

EDIT: I think that the HBO Go app for Android and maybe even iOS also supports Chromecast now, so there's another option.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I have a Chromecast, and HBO Go works wonderfully with my Android phone and my iPad. It should work just as easily with my Roku devices. It worked with FiOS, but Comcast blocks it.

Edit: And big thanks for the reminder to try my Chromecast. I should have mentioned that I did not have the apps on either device until I read your post. I should probably check out any other progress that Google has made with the Chromecast. I was only using Netflix, YouTube, and tested Hulu Plus since these were the only things working with my Chromecast when I first got it.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Hope it works for you. A friend of mine with DirecTV was having the same problem getting HBO Go to work on his Roku. He got a Chromecast and has been using a Chrome tab to stream it from his desktop. He doesn't have an Android of iOS device, so he hasn't been able to try the apps. Using those would be the ideal solution, since it would be a direct stream from HBO Go's servers to the Chromecast, but he hasn't reported any major issues with the Chrome solution.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I typically have my iPad at hand when I am in front of the TV, and the HBO Go app is top notch on the iPad.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to jmn1207

to jmn1207
For some reason Comcast only blogs HBOGo on Roku. I have no idea why since it works with virtually every other devices out there including: XBox, Apple TV, Chromecast, iOS, Android, etc.

My guess is Roku didn't grease enough palms. That could also be why it took them years to finally get YouTube.

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome

Anon

Oh, wow!!!

Can I please watch TV Everywhere instead of on my nice, large HD-TV sitting in the family room? (not)

...silly cable industry

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Re: Oh, wow!!!

said by anonome :

Can I please watch TV Everywhere instead of on my nice, large HD-TV sitting in the family room? (not)

Some people cannot schedule their life around being at home to watch TV.

By the way sitting at arms length from a typical notebook display has a perceived size larger than many peoples home TV.

Watched a couple of football games on PAC12 last year with TV Everywhere and was surprised at how clear, crisp and fluid it was. And sitting at just arms length from the screen the perception was larger than that of the TV at home (40" at 10').

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome

Anon

"Some people" watch too much TV. There are other--and better--forms of entertainment, things that actually require and active brain. If one's life is centered around a TV schedule, then I question if one has a life at all.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

NOYB

Premium Member

That's why they cannot schedule their life around being home to watch TV. Need to have it available when and where they are when they have the time.

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome

Anon

I question the "need" for TV at all, esp. given 99.9% of shows are pure crap that people watch for no better reason than to keep their eyes and ears actively engaged while disengaging their brains.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

And what do you call hanging out on an internet forum?

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Oh boy, I watch TV while I'm hanging out on an internet forum. Also, I'm usually listening to music instead of the sound from the TV or PC. I'm 22.6347% sure, no 9.2276% sure, that whatever I'm doing with my time will be completely worthless in a billion years, or tomorrow even.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to NOYB

to NOYB
said by NOYB:

Some people cannot schedule their life around being at home to watch TV.

Agree, THAT'S what they make DVR's & On-Demand prog for...so you CAN watch it on the "nice, large HD-TV sitting in the family room", when you DO have the time...

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

I like the new Comcast DVR with the X1 remote. Don't need TV Everywhere. Like to watch on my "nice, large HD-TV sitting in the family room" instead of my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 10.

There's also DVR Manager:

"Your shows controlled from anywhere.
With XFINITY®'s DVR Manager you can schedule and manage DVR recordings from your computer and mobile device, so you're always in control of your DVR anywhere you go. Now you won't miss your shows when you're not at home."

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

That is Comcast specific. Not everyone has Comcast. And not everyone can even get Comcast.

TV Everywhere is not provider specific. Though some of the channels available through the service are.
NOYB

1 edit

NOYB to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich

Being at home is when some people don't have as much free time.
Away from home there is sometimes more free time to fill. Depends a lot on where and why.
Also some content, such as sports, is more timely live.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to anonome

Mod

to anonome
hey, you can watch a whole 9 stations on fios mobile on a non-verizon connection.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Im still po'ed I can't get anything while away from my fios. Not even 9 channels here in South America, damn half assed content providers suck. I'd like to just be able to watch hockey at this point !

Vztechjoe
@optonline.net

Vztechjoe

Anon

Stop complaining and buy a Slingbox! It will work with ANY provider and you can watch your live local hockey.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Why I can go to comcast and get the local hockey team , for less ?

drjosh121
join:2002-01-06
Matthews, NC

drjosh121

To bad everywhere doesnt mean everywhere

With directv there are zero quality channels that you can watch outside the home. Even when Im at home i can't get local channels or ESPN on my devices. Plus the interface is so bad it has trouble telling where the STB's are so you have to type in IP addresses to locate the box. So every time I reset my router/power goes out/turn off the box i have to re complete the whole setup. I just dont get why they feel like killing another way to broaden their viewership. Isn't that the purpose of a company, to make money through advertising by building a customer base.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

NOYB

Premium Member

Yes, Yes, & More Channels

Q1: Do you use your cable operator's TV Everywhere services?
A1: Yes

Q2: Do you care that they even exist?
A2: Yes

Q3: What could a cable company do differently to interest you?
A3: More channels that I am interested in. Such as local broadcast channels, Comcast Sports Net Northwest, ESPN, TNT. Currently there are only a couple channels of interest; PAC12 and NBC Olympics. Those are the only two I've made use of.

My usage of TV Everywhere service is for live sports events when away from home.
Program series I'll DVR and catch up on when I get back home.

Provider is Frontier FiOS
bigboy
join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

bigboy

Re: Yes, Yes, & More Channels

Blame content providers. They don't want you to get TV Everywhere. They want you to pay for every different way to get the shows for which you've already paid to your cable provider. That's why you can't watch Monday Night Football on your iPhone with WatchESPN. The NFL wants you to pay money to Verizon so they can get an additional revenue stream.

It's the same schtick that the music industry held on to until it was too late. How many copies of the Beatles White Album did you purchase?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Re: Yes, Yes, & More Channels

said by bigboy:

It's the same schtick that the music industry held on to until it was too late. How many copies of the Beatles White Album did you purchase?

Zero. None. 0
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

1 recommendation

tpkatl

I might use it if it didn't count against my bandwidth cap

There are places I would use Comcast's TV Everywhere (or whatever they call it this week).

For instance, my back porch. I don't have a TV or cable jack out there because of the weather, but three seasons of the year, I'm out there for dinner and in the evenings.

But if I want to watch something on my tablet, it's eating away at my 300gb cap that Comcast has imposed on Atlanta. I'm not willing to gobble up my bandwidth when I can (a) walk inside and watch the TV on coaxial cable and not eat up bandwidth, or (b) read a book.

Basically, the value-add is not there for these services. Although they are being spun as convenient, in fact they have real costs (to me) and therefore a big DIS-incentive to use.

So, Comcast, if you want me to embrace these services, don't charge me for the bandwidth. Because if you do, I'm paying twice for the same service.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: I might use it if it didn't count against my bandwidth cap

The point of TV Anywhere is to use it while you are not at home. Not while you are home.

Pegasus
Premium Member
join:2008-01-04
united state

Pegasus

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

The point of TV Anywhere is to use it while you are not at home. Not while you are home.

Boom. Exactly.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Says who? It seems to me that the point is to be able to access content across multiple platforms. Having the ability to keep up with the game when stepping outside to flip over the steaks on the grill is a perfect example of what this model is supposed to accomplish.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV ··· erywhere
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

It's designed to be used while away from home. Outside they'd rather sell you another STB for outside- like they do bars already. And if you really need to be connected to the TV non-stop for a game you have bigger issues than any caps.

Anon E Muss
@myvzw.com

Anon E Muss to tpkatl

Anon

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

There are places I would use Comcast's TV Everywhere (or whatever they call it this week).

For instance, my back porch. I don't have a TV or cable jack out there because of the weather, but three seasons of the year, I'm out there for dinner and in the evenings.

But if I want to watch something on my tablet, it's eating away at my 300gb cap that Comcast has imposed on Atlanta. I'm not willing to gobble up my bandwidth when I can (a) walk inside and watch the TV on coaxial cable and not eat up bandwidth, or (b) read a book.

Basically, the value-add is not there for these services. Although they are being spun as convenient, in fact they have real costs (to me) and therefore a big DIS-incentive to use.

So, Comcast, if you want me to embrace these services, don't charge me for the bandwidth. Because if you do, I'm paying twice for the same service.

Yes and as soon as Comcast exempts TV Everywhere then people scream "Net neutrality violation" and people like Google and Netflix wants to get congress involved preventing this sort of thing. You'd be surprised at how many of your fellow Comcast customers are actually AGAINST Comcast exempting TV everywhere from caps even though that would HELP them use less of their cap.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I'm all for net neutrality enforcement, and completely againt caps. There are much better methods for managing abuse then by setting ridiculously arbitrary and useless caps. The cable conglomerates impose caps precisely so that they can attempt to provide their own services with a significant advantage over any competition.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Anon E Muss

to Anon E Muss
Google won't cry- they'll write a check like they do to other providers around the world. And Congress is not going to do anything. Net Neutrality is a myth- no real issues of this happening let alone will never be enforced.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

I use HBO Go

To Airplay an occasional show to my TV that's also connected to Comcast, or to stream ESPN on my iPad when there's two games on at once. Not exactly to go, but I'm still using the services on occasion. I don't see them as that compelling...

Pegasus
Premium Member
join:2008-01-04
united state

Pegasus

Premium Member

TV everywhere(in your home) is great when it works.

Besides the obvious frustration of TV everywhere, At least with Time Warner really meaning TV everywhere in your home, Using your home network..

It's riddled with all sorts of stupid service issues. There have been times where TV on PC & Devices doesn't work for weeks & TWC is sure not fast about fixing it.

Supposedly there is a "TV everywhere group" but when i have issues i never hear a peep from them or can get a hold of this group.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

Cable.... bah

Even though where I am living has comcrap with all pay channels (landlord pays for it, I wouldn't), I still get the majority of what I watch from pirate bay. I can't stand 5 minutes of show, 7 minutes of commercials, then 7 mins of show and 5 mins of commercials, etc, etc....

Download, watch, and delete. Move along and keep it movin.....

••••
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

1 edit

b10010011

It's not really "TV" everywhere

To me TV Everywhere would mean I could take my tablet or any other device anywhere that has internet access and watch live streams of all the channels I subscribe to.

Otherwise it's just "On demand"

Comcast To Go is a lame attempt at this providing streaming of a dozen crappy channels nobody watches.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Re: It's not really "TV" everywhere

What you are describing is my Slingbox.

1. Slingbox
2. Sliced bread
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Re: It's not really "TV" everywhere

Yeah I know about Slingbox and similar programs for HTPC's but the point is cable companies are trying to sell "TV Everywhere" that is really not.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Do they really want to make an impact?

Then stop raping everyone on rental charges. No we don't need a box on every tv in the house to view cable channels. That is just for their systems. No we don't need to pay extra for an HD box when we are watching the same channels as we were before.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Do they really want to make an impact?

Yes you do need a STB on every TV when those channels are all encrypted. How else do you think you're going to watch them an decode said channels? If you don't think you need a box- then why not have the same issue with IPTV from AT&T, VZ or even DirecTV and Dish Network- Dish/Direc have required box rentals/purchases LONG before any MSO started shoving them down throats.

tommyanon
@comcast.net

tommyanon

Anon

not what people want

cord cutting is not about watching subscription TV on a mobile device, its about dumping the subscription and using internet devices to stream to the big TV in the house.

no one is asking for TV everywhere, but perhaps a cheap stream only option to get cable channels IP only would take off.
bookertdub
join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA
·Charter

bookertdub

TV Everywhere

I have AT&T u-verse and they do a good job with their TV everywhere platform. Watch ESPN, Watch TBS, Watch TNT, HBO Go, Max Go (Cinemax), Showtime Anytime, Watch NFL Network/Redzone, Fox Business, Fox News, Big 10 Network, Fox Sports Go, NBC Sports Live Extra (NBCSN and NBC Sports). Although to be honest, I already have a Slingbox, because I like having the opportunity to change from channel to channel quickly as opposed to going from app to app and waiting for the stream to load. Plus I get every channel including local channels which comes in handy when sporting events are on.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

Caps and TV Everywhere

With most ISP's trying to pretend that were gonna run out of momentary data, even if one were to find out about TVE, will likely not use it to avoid hitting bandwidth caps. Most public places in my area now block those services as well.

As long as ISP's continue to use caps and throttles TVE is fairly worthless to the educated eye.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Most Consumers

wouldn't care even if they did know.

Unless the product is transparent to existing uses, i.e. receives all channels they get on their STB, without hassle, anywhere, without exception or added cost, no one is going to notice.

Cable needs to work out the content licensing issues with "every" seller, before they worry about launching a "me too" app that, like Google TV, fails to address the fundamentals, and in not doing so, offers the consumer less, not more.

•••