dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-06 10:17:49: In a new editorial, the New York Times states they're not exactly fans of the recent rumors that Sprint plans to acquire T-Mobile sometime during the early part of this year. ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Doesn't have to happen...

T-Mobile needs low-band spectrum. They're killing it otherwise. Look at what they've made other carriers do: JUMP inspired AT&T Next, Verizon's Edge, and Sprint's One Up. Now T-Mobile's "Houdini" project (breaking chains metaphor) has forced AT&T to move first by paying ETF's to switch. The other carriers will fall in line soon.

Sprint needs time to finish making network improvements. They have a ton of spectrum and Network Vision combined with the Spark deployment is very impressive.

This merger doesn't need to happen.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

jseymour

Even A Stopped Clock Is Right Twice A Day

What the NYT likes is usually an indication to me that I ought to be looking the other way, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. In this case, I think the NYT has it right.

Jim
Expand your moderator at work
zoid
join:2012-09-05

zoid to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: Doesn't have to happen...

T-Mobile is already okay with low band spectrum. They bought it from Verizon this morning.

"Verizon Wireless said last year it would consider selling unused A Block airwaves in the 700 megahertz frequency band that T-Mobile has now agreed to buy."

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
Agreed. I don't want Sprint doing to T-Mobile what they did to Nextel. T-Mobile has improved a lot on its own lately.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to zoid

Premium Member

to zoid
said by zoid:

T-Mobile is already okay with low band spectrum. They bought it from Verizon this morning.

They expressed intent to this morning. Big difference.

obas
@comcast.net

obas

Anon

competition

While I might be slightly biased (I like sprint). And, I do like what T-Mobile done lately. IMHO, even if you don't let those two (Sprint and Tmo) merge. Theres no one really stealing away customers from VZW. Hell its debatable how many customers ATT may lose if any with the ETF wars between them and tmo.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to jap

to jap

Agreed. A lot can happen between now and regulatory approval... Or not.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to jap

to jap
said by jap:

said by zoid:

They expressed intent to this morning. Big difference.

Incorrect. They "expressed interest" previously. Today they agreed to buy.

Jim

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

PhoenixAZ

Premium Member

I hope not

I have Sprint and they're the worst service provider here. I really wanted to go back to TM, but if Sprint manages to buy them out then ATT it is.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

quote:
T-Mobile needs low-band spectrum. They're killing it otherwise. Look at what they've made other carriers do: JUMP inspired AT&T Next, Verizon's Edge, and Sprint's One Up. Now T-Mobile's "Houdini" project (breaking chains metaphor) has forced AT&T to move first by paying ETF's to switch. The other carriers will fall in line soon.
I'm still struggling how these plans are good for the consumer....

I can pay $20 less a month for service and get the privilege to pay for my phone up front. Or pay them $20 more for 24 months for my phone.

Or I just pay $20 more a month and get a new phone at a discounted price every year.

Should you buy a phone that holds its value, like an iPhone you can easily sell it on eBay or Craisglist to cover the ETF so in essence you always could switch or upgrade.

People are conditioned for a new phone every 2 years and I bet most will do just that so any "savings" is $0.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to jseymour

to jseymour

Re: Even A Stopped Clock Is Right Twice A Day

Big investors in wireless industry would love TMO liquidation, because with near zero competition it would boost profits across the board. Otherwise, only some right wing nutheads could like it. Even Verizon and Tea fans should be against it.
CJ777
join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

Ughhh!

Sprint, keep your damn paws off T-mobile.
wispalord
join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

wispalord to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

I worked there and they want it for the name T-Mobile powered by Softbank... its like buying customers

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
join:1999-12-05
Duncan, SC

Bluethunder

Sprint sentence

I just served my 2 year Sprint sentence, and certainly don't wanna get purchased back in to them! They are a pretty pathetic excuse for a wireless company around here.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Might work

This might work if SoftBank buys T-Mobile and then fires most of Sprint's top management.