spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-06 17:14:00: Their press release indicates that it will be like a toll-free phone call, or like free shipping, but it will likely be more like advertising supported content. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

And so it begins...

This is the start of Ed Whitacre's dream. Network priority will show up eventually...

sponsor this

@mycingular.net

The gold rush is on!!!!!! Looking at you VZW.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

2 recommendations

Double dip

sounds like a way to double dip

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dvd536:

sounds like a way to double dip

Another way to charge consumers more without them knowing they're paying more.

You will pay more for apps/services as they will have to pay AT&T.

This shit is truly evil.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT

What a horrible idea.

This is a horrible idea. Now AT&T is billing content providers too.

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

same as cable companies

This is why cable is so damn expensive, everyone has hands in the customer wallet.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

This sounds like...

...Outbound WATS (WATS=800, tollfree numbers) formerly heavily used by spammy telemarketers.
since it sounds like the content might not be desirable enough for ANYONE to choose to download (bad infomerrial) I'd just as soon the sender paid all (including ME!) for the time and bandwidth wasted.
My question is how do I opt out of this spamfest now? BEFORE they push it.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Elite

Re: What a horrible idea.

It's optional for any content provider. It's not required but what's the big issue? Google has already said they pay for this type of service to other providers. If company's a willing to pay to reach more customers on limited plans, then let them.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

Watch out for that ....

Slippery Slope AT&T, now google will tell you to pay them for your customers accessing Google PLAY.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

tommyanon

@comcast.net

why postpaid only?

why only on postpaid plans?

the real winner for this type of service is prepaid with a limited bucket of data

tommyanon

@comcast.net

future no plan devices?

the interesting thing here, would be a future where we could buy a tablet or phone type device without a subscription or billing agreement. rather everything we can do would be free and ad supported. i have no idea if such a day would ever come, but would be interesting.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

Go back to hell, AT&T

You have effectively guaranteed I will use VoIP on my cellphone, if it ever comes down to only you or Verizon Wireless having service at my home (thank goodness for T-Mobile). You are already double dipping us on contracts, especially with Next(financing a phone on top of higher contract monthly rates supposedly for phone subsidy). You already play gatekeeper with services(see face time, VoIP, and other fiascos). You charge for tethering to share an allotted cap on a very capped service. Your insurance sucks. I paid faithfully every month to hit a surprise increase in deductible to $150 to replace an out of warranty phone that broke that I could buy on eBay for less than $150. That was the last straw and why I left you, despite the ETF. Your caps have no justification and now you're using them to double dip and play gatekeeper once again. Everyone, support an open internet and leave these crooked bastards. I went prepaid and never looked back, settling down with T-Mobile, who has superb service with no caps. Little less coverage, yes, but the trade off is more than worth it.
--
Dedicating my signature to help my big bro in his new upstart by asking people to come like his Facebook page and help spread the word(not a FB user myself). »www.facebook.com/mikethecomputermechanic

AT&T To Launch Sponsored Data Product

i do not think this idiots realize they will price themselves out of the market, this is pure greed in my view.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
reply to TBBroadband

Source on the Google part?

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

»www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/goog···ee-zone/

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tommyanon

Re: why postpaid only?

Because they don't want pay as you go smart phone to get data unless they signup for a $50+ monthly data package (it's really not pay as you go anymore, if they do )
for the minut amount of data I would likely use I'd be happy to pay their "outrageous prices" IF I could get it on the 10 cents a minute plan.
But it's no longer an option.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to fjslaur983w9

Re: AT&T To Launch Sponsored Data Product

They will never price themselves out of the market....the current take and churn rates may have some ripples.

jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Don't understand why people don't like this

This is great. I seriously don't understand why everyone is against this. Everyone's complaining that there's no unlimited data, now AT&T is bringing the option for companies to give "unlimited data" when you go onto their websites, and now everyone's complaining? I think this is fantastic. Explain to me why everyone's against it so I can understand and look at it from your point of view.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to jtl999

Maybe use the search option of the Internet. it helps. Also its been blogged about on here by Karl before.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to BosstonesOwn

Re: Watch out for that ....

It's the other way for Google. See above. Also AT&T is a lot bigger than Google. And this is optional.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Selenia

Re: Go back to hell, AT&T

You're blaming AT&T for something Asurion manages and charges you for? Take that up with them. AT&T has no control over them let alone everyone knows that Asurion/NEW are crooks to start off with.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to tshirt

Re: why postpaid only?

Smart phone unlimited on GoPhone is $60

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to tommyanon

Re: future no plan devices?

its done in the UK.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to jades

Re: Don't understand why people don't like this

»www.techdirt.com/articles/201401···on.shtml

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to jades

Free Press: "A Lose-Lose for Customers and App Makers"

A press release from Free Press in response to this:

AT&T Sponsored Data Scheme Is a Lose-Lose for Customers and App Makers
Free Press - January 6, 2014
»www.freepress.net/press-release/···p-makers

Treegravy
Premium
join:2011-04-21
canada
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jades

Re: Don't understand why people don't like this

The internet is supposed to be a realm of peers. All the machines and people producing content are all equally addressable. Your device/computer has a unique address and so does every other device.

If I write a super cool story but it costs you more to access it and Joe competitor of mine pays ATT to move his story, which is also super cool -- whose story are you going to read?

The difference here is that I'm poor and Joe is rich. Hardly peers.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude

Re: Double dip

Also another way for huge companies with deep pockets to keep competition from smaller companies at bay. If you are google you have the money to spend on this and you can easily make it harder for your competition to compete.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

The question is...

Will any content providers actually pay for it?

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
reply to TBBroadband

Re: Watch out for that ....

Google is bigger than AT&T

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to BiggA

Re: The question is...

First AT&T charges content provider for providing the toll free access. If everyone else does it, then it is no advantage. Thus AT&T invents a new service to give a content company's toll free users an enhanced experience to compete. Enhanced means you go first while we hold others back. But then every content provider pays the enhanced fee. So AT&T invents Platinum Enhanced for an additional fee. Of course content costs have to rise to pay for all these extra services of speed and priority. The final content consumer will in the end be paying several times over for the same bytes of data. A never ending artificial shortage induced arms race.

I hope not one single content producer or provider participates. End the madness before it starts. The only beneficiary of the arms race will be a few people at the AT&T executive level.