spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-07 11:22:51: The entertainment industry and ISP joint "Copyright Alert System" (aka "six strikes) has had little to no impact on piracy statistics, judging from a preliminary look at popular BitTorrent website traffic levels. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

I'm Shocked

No not really.
They've got massive outside support.

They're being good capitalists.

They're doing everything they can to make sure customers get to the products they have.

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX

Ug...

They just don't get it. All this time and effort wasted on fighting piracy is pointless. They should refocus their efforts and money on making content conveniently available and at a fair price. Studies have shown that when content is easily available online through legit sites that piracy for that content significantly drops.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Draconian Caps Next

The next effort the **aa will try is to get the ISPs to institute very heavy caps on use.
If your data is limited, it make it hard to pirate movies. Of course there will be collateral damage to the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. but al is fair in war, right?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to Moostang

Re: Ug...

Time, effort, and--lest we forget--taxpayer dollars (ultimately, billions and billions [worldwide]).

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to pende_tim

Re: Draconian Caps Next

And the users paying for content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. will know who to blame.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Moostang

I get the feeling it's going the other direction. It feels like the tip of the iceberg with certain content being pulled from places like netflix or the amazon store. Content owners signing exclusivity contracts with certain online retailers. Making it so people would have to sign up for multiple services to get content.

It seems the future is fragmenting content. Something that doesn't occur in the world of piracy.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
reply to tshirt

The ISPs seem quite happy blaming users of those services for "congestion"

Piracy and Streaming both compete with their precious Broadcast TV, caps are coming either way.
Or "Preferred Access" AKA Raising rates on Internet and Netflix ETC.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by buzz_4_20:

Piracy and Streaming both compete with their precious Broadcast TV, caps are coming either way.

Piracy doesn't "COMPETE", it is not a authorized service or product, it is unlawful conversion.

Netflix et al type services legitimately repackage content made for television and movie customers.

the ISP is rightfully charging more, in return for delivering more personalized bits.
Piracy does not contribute towards or benefit the continuing production of content in any way.

said by pende_tim:

but al is fair in war, right?

Contrary to pirate legend, you aren't heroes of any "war", just cheapskate scumbags, still and minor percentage of total viewer and won't be missed by anyone.
Your actions DISADVANTAGE all legit content users.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
Regardless if Piracy is legal or not, it's where some of those eyeballs are turning, without ADS even.
It's been shown that easily accessed fairly priced content drops piracy rates.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to pende_tim
Given that many ISPs are cable TV providers, this isn't a bug, it's a feature. Killing Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc means that people would need to turn to Cable TV for more video programming and fewer people would cut the cord. It's a win-win for the **AA and cable companies.
--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

3 recommendations

reply to anonome

But those billions and billions are well-spent because piracy costs $100 septillion dollars every second - according to completely unbiased MPAA/RIAA figures that they definitely didn't pull from their posteriors!
--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

2 recommendations

reply to tshirt

I'll agree that piracy is unlawful, but it actually does wind up competing. Obviously, not on price, since there's no way the studios would release everything for free. However, it does compete on availability.

As you make content available for fair prices legally, piracy drops. As you raise the price of content to unreasonable levels or put unfair restrictions on viewing of the content, piracy rises.

The Oatmeal put it best in this comic: »theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

So studios could compete with piracy by letting Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc make the shows available to subscribers online. (Either via all-you-can-watch subscription services or via pay-per-episode services.) Studios treat Netflix like a threat, but they are actually their single best ally in the fight against piracy.
--
-Jason Levine

name_qe357v5

@correioface.net

Dear Studios, Please Produce LESS... CRAP...

maybe its just me but have any one noticed that 90% of content is pure dumb crap? and they expect to make constant profit out of this crap that should not have been created in a first place. amazing

shirter

@prj.hu
reply to tshirt

I am not watching any of these stupid movies or shows. They are dumb replica of the same dumb old superman story anyway. Personally I think the era of getting profit out of bullshit content is coming to an end. That's why parasites are trying to grab on to any dime they think they can grab. Very simple - people are tired of bullshit. There are other things in life then staring at TV set getting your brain reprogrammed.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Disappointment

So many that have downloaded something, whether its a game or music or movie. After finding out that they don't even like it, they pitch it and move on. This is without paying a dime for the product that you pirated.

So many people that go out and buy say the samething and find out its crap and then its either in a yard sale or given away for free.

Should be where people find out how good the product is and figure out a price they would pay and see from there. If the product is crap after torrenting it, throw it away but don't waist money on something you will just end up giving away for free or put it somewhere and forget about it, just a total waist of money. Of course it saves from getting fined $150,000 but that's why you don't use those kinds of torrents or seed to others, otherwise you're calling it your product and makes you stick out like a swear thumb.
--
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC
reply to Jason Levine

Loved the cartoon. You're right, it sums it up beautifully. No wonder GoT is one of the most pirated shows.

millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC
reply to tshirt
tshirt, content providers need to make the shows and movies available at a price the consumer feels is a value. Pirating is growing because the consumer doesn't agree with the current market price for content.

On top of that, torrents for highly shared content means you can have a 1080p movie over most cable speeds in under 30mins. The clients are very easy to use and the trackers make it very easy to find what you're looking for.

The market is clearly speaking what it wants. The content providers are fighting against the market. They will lose.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life

join:2001-09-01
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to name_qe357v5

Re: Dear Studios, Please Produce LESS... CRAP...

I'd say more than 90%..... but yeah, it's just a few of us who think so apparently....

SmilingBob

join:2013-09-23
League City, TX
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt :

Your actions DISADVANTAGE all legit content users.

Although I agree downloading movies you did not pay for is wrong, the law goes further by making it illegal to even make backup copies of the Blurays and DVDs you own. If one make copies of legally purchased discs for personal use ( i.e. PLEX to stream to multiple ROKUs throughout the home, DVD copies for the SUV when driving the kids, MP4 files onto the tablets, etc.) - does this also make someone a non-legit content user?

According to the DMCA it does indeed. I realize we're talking torrenting here, but there are plenty of uses for legally purchased discs that do not include giving them away for free via torrent but are still considered illegal. I am not making excuses for pirates, but I could see making the case for someone torrenting who wanted a digital file of a movie they had already paid for if they did not have the knowledge or expertise in ripping their disc collection themselves. The MPAA expects you to buy the same movie multiple times in multiple formats. Um, sure. The idiotic IP laws need to change to reflect the already established personal use case law. Until then, I guess it is "ARRRRRR MATEY!"

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to name_qe357v5

Obviously "crap" is relative. A lot of people appear to enjoy the current content, else access to digital content (to include piracy) wouldn't be growing.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to diablo1892

Re: Disappointment

Isn't that partly what the rental market is for?

qe_g_dfg

@thehappy3.com
reply to openbox9

Oh yeah, "crap" is definitely relative to a "distance" that each person can see at. A lot of people are smokers too and they probably really like their beer or other choice of alcohol (all of the above is not good for their health though and they know it). "Free" "will" to consume

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus
reply to tshirt

Science has shown the opposite is true. Please back up your statements with science that is not sponsored with any amount of money from content providers.

Time and time again, they have shown sales increase after piracy increases and sales even decrease after piracy decreases.

Piracy is also known as free advertisement. On average, people who pirate the most, spend the most.

But you're just trolling because no one with a bit of background on the subject could come to the conclusion that non-commercial piracy is bad on average.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to millerja01a
said by millerja01a:

Your choice is to say "I won't buy at that price, under those conditions" and they either keep the price for a limited market, or change the price and conditions for use.

In NO other transaction or industry would anyone consider it a normal sale for the buyer to say "I don't like the deal, I'll just take the product free."
Nobody would find it acceptable to do it in a restaurant, a hotel, at the theater, or to an airline.

said by millerja01a:

The market is clearly speaking what it wants. The content providers are fighting against the market. They will lose.

So the pirate "market"* wants free, and the ability to trade or resell it as they please..?

The line is drawn, the content providers now MUST fight to the last man, OR go out of business.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bengie25
said by Bengie25:

Time and time again, they have shown sales increase after piracy increases and sales even decrease after piracy decreases.

Piracy is also known as free advertisement. On average, people who pirate the most, spend the most.

And that's bullshit! Ever thread some idiot says "it's been shown..." and NO actual scientific study is ever revealed.
IF it were TRUE, why would Karl do all the stories about the increasing piracy damaging the industry, and poster after poster claim they are driving the industry out of business?
That doesn't sound like most believe that piracy is beneficial to anyone, but those not paying.
The current marketing and pricing of content may be outrageous (I'm not defending that) but the people in content industry aren't stupid, and would go with a model closer to what people here are suggesting IF it provided anywhere near the same bottom line.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit
reply to openbox9

Rental stores only carry games that require console, PC games are unavailable. Of course there is always demos but demo only allows you to play 5 minutes into the game. You go to a rental store and rent a game on console, you are able to play entire game.

I can't name one thing wrong with movies since it's just a movie(nothin more) except the time you're allowed to hang onto them. As for music, same thing as a demo thing, you can only listen to what 5 seconds? Programs(some) you also get a demo with witch certainly does help cause it's fairly legit and don't contain malware or any untrusted stuff.

Pirating will still exist after thousands of years.. Time and everyone will continue to not care. If they did care, then why does pirating still exist? How come we can still get around paying for stuff so easily? People record movies straight from tv without any issues, people can record music straight from their very own nearby radio station, people can rebuild programs to where it don't look the official thing anymore(totally different looking program)

One thing i wanna add onto is that with some of the turrents, you get what wasn't expected like you downloaded malware or something that messes with your computer somehow. I bought a game before called slammit pinball from steam and some of the game features were broken so then i downloaded the cracked version and then played the game and it worked. My brother had the same very thing happen to him too but with a totally different game. Remember, when you download something pirated, it is NOT the same thing as if you were to buy it. In a way, those who do the cracking, build an entire new interface and when people download it and use it, its not 100% pirated because the one who did the cracking, rebuilt the interface.. As for movies and music, just record from tv or radio station, never tell the difference between the official and non-legit.

Should just give up on protection.. Only wasting their time.
--
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
I love you.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

In NO other transaction or industry would anyone consider it a normal sale for the buyer to say "I don't like the deal, I'll just take the product free."
Nobody would find it acceptable to do it in a restaurant, a hotel, at the theater, or to an airline.

Except that in this case no physical good is taken, and no space is occupied that would otherwise be occupied by a paying customer.

There's a reason why it's called copyright infringement and not theft, because what you're doing is making an unauthorized copy, you're not stealing an actual good or service.

We can discuss the merits of IP laws all day long, but comparing to theft is simply disingenuous.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

Of course there is always demos but demo only allows you to play 5 minutes into the game.

And you can't learn if you like a game in five minutes, or by playing the first level?
said by diablo1892:

except the time you're allowed to hang onto them.

Don't rent a movie until you're ready to watch it.
said by diablo1892:

As for music, same thing as a demo thing, you can only listen to what 5 seconds?

The previews are 35 seconds on iTunes and Amazon, enough time to decide if you like the song, IMO.
said by diablo1892:

Pirating will still exist after thousands of years.

Well, ok. "Black markets" and "undergrounds" will continue to exist, just as they have in the past. I won't dispute that.
said by diablo1892:

If they did care, then why does pirating still exist?

Why does who care?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to qe_g_dfg

Isn't the ability to make your own choices good?

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

And you can't learn if you like a game in five minutes, or by playing the first level?

A game can turn complete crap after the first level or 5 minutes. and what about the DLC's? Only way to get a hold of those is by purchasing and if you don't like it, your stuck with it forever. The train simulator 2014 on steam has all their DLC's at a total of $3285.53 and another few games are roughly around $300 or so.. I'm not chancing something that i may or may not like and end up giving away.. for free!

Apparently some people are selling their steam accounts, itunes accounts and much more at a good price. Maybe I might find something there for free?
--
I love you.