dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-07 15:57:49: According to data from the American Television Alliance, 2013 was a record year for retransmission disputes resulting in blacked-out content for television viewers. ..

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Go Ahead...

Let them keep bickering and raising rates till they have no customers left.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

CBS made a big mistake last year

When they cut off anybody coming from a TWC subdomain from watching streaming content during that dispute. Its funny that they had the balls to complain about piracy when they cut off a legal avenue. IMO if any of those pirating during that got taken to court the judge would have been wise to toss the case and tell CBS they had the opportunity to provide the content legally and failed.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

2 recommendations

n2jtx

said by Kearnstd:

Its funny that they had the balls to complain about piracy when they cut off a legal avenue. IMO if any of those pirating during that got taken to court the judge would have been wise to toss the case and tell CBS they had the opportunity to provide the content legally and failed.

You seem to be under the assumption you have a "right" to content. Nowhere do I see that enshrined in our constitution (though our constitution is basically meaningless anyhow). If someone chooses not to sell you something or make it available to you, you have no right to steal it. If I walk into a supermarket and they tell me they will not sell me beer, I cannot just grab a six pack and walk off with it.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

3 recommendations

turnerbrewer to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Go Ahead...

For all that I care Pay TV can die a firey death.
2013 was the year that my family officially cancelled our Pay TV subscription.
My son will growup being part of the "cord never" generation.
We do not miss being bombarded with tiresome commercials and blabbering talking heads. Good riddance networks.

Rulds2008
@cox.net

Rulds2008 to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx

Re: CBS made a big mistake last year

Look at this dude compare beer "consumption"to content "entertainment. So remember when they had drive through or drive ins I used to sit on a hill and watch free flicks what are the going to do tape my eyeballs shut? Stealing beer is not downloading a flick on the internet or catching the content of the air waves.. Pretty soon there going to say shut your ears when you hear the radio how ridicules

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Spike5 to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

said by Kearnstd:

Its funny that they had the balls to complain about piracy when they cut off a legal avenue. IMO if any of those pirating during that got taken to court the judge would have been wise to toss the case and tell CBS they had the opportunity to provide the content legally and failed.

You seem to be under the assumption you have a "right" to content. Nowhere do I see that enshrined in our constitution (though our constitution is basically meaningless anyhow). If someone chooses not to sell you something or make it available to you, you have no right to steal it. If I walk into a supermarket and they tell me they will not sell me beer, I cannot just grab a six pack and walk off with it.

If the content is flowing through my body, via an unencrypted OTA 8VSB modulated ATSC carrier, one could say I have a right to this content.
Afterall they wouldn't go through all the effort to do this for free right? Oh wait...

They spend hundreds of millions of dollars on equipment, the IOT tubes, exciters, the coax piping/waveguides, towers, etc, to do this. There must be a huge incentive to do such. Why go through the effort to cut the channels off a CableTV provider when its otherwise free OTA?

thxultra
@mooseintl.org

thxultra to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx
However you can get this content free over the air. So are you really stealing it? Retransmission fees are a complete rip because the content is free over the air. Instead I think retransmission fees should be illegal. Content is paid for by advertisements anyway. Cord cutting is becoming a better option every year with the way cable rates keep going up.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to Spike5

Premium Member

to Spike5
Great verbiage.

The incentive, as I understand, is due to the potential to haggle for more money.

Not sure what the deal is with cutting OTA stations. Makes no sense to me either.

In most areas, it's perfectly possible to receive most channels, even at rather great distances. In my area, it's possible in most places to receive the only "local" channels which are 40+ miles away. In some valleys, however, it's impossible (though, perhaps not if you have a 100' or so antenna with a nice amp). Cable / sat. then become your only options to receive these stations.

As for it being a 'right' ...the broadcast television folks have essentially got the spectrum that they want (for free) in exchange for providing people with the service. They also get to make money on it. It could be argued that the public essentially "owns" the airwaves, and therefore, have every right to demand that they get some use out of it, whether via an antenna, or via their cable/sat. provider tossing these in for free, or a very, very low rate (see Dish network, for the first sat. company to offer this directly to people, and everyone thought Ergen was completely batshit crazy for even considering it...)

The latest arguments concerning Aereo are very interesting. In one sense, they're doing something similar to what cable originally did - pipe OTA to people. In another sense, they're not building anywhere near the same infrastructure that cable companies had to do. They have no "plant" to speak of, nor do they have the "last mile" in any sense - they're sending it directly to subscribers over the internet. That last bit is tricky, since, as we all well know, "the internet" is a tricky place

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
Two things, one mentioned already.

Till the pull the plug on OTA transmissions there is no "pay for this". Included in this is watching commercials is and always has been optional, it is not mandatory.

If you walk out with a 6-pack of beer the store has exactly one less 6-pack of beer. If I put a piece of paper in the copier, I make one, two, three hundred copies, but no matter how many the original copy exists. If I watch 3 hours of CBS primetime tv on a tuesday night, it is of no difference to CBS if I watch zero hours of primetime tuesday night television because they do not know what I watch, they do not know what have of television viewers watch, they probably don't even know what one quarter of television viewers watch. What they do though is make an assumption and estimation based on a random sampling of people that watch tv, inflate those numbers then share that information with potential advertisers with the caveat that there is some error to it likely.

So does it matter to CBS if I have 20 gigabytes of stored television to watch whenever or if I have 200 gigabytes? Probably not but there's probably some boss somewhere that it upsets.

You're also talking about tv networks that want to maximize viewership but instead of repeating their shows in the middle of the night with the full run of commercials they keep the people that buy gadgets to cook meals at truck rest stops happy. Oh, and who spends money, develops tech, takes a chance to remedy this? Television re-broadcasters who make multi receiver DVRs that can record two or three or more channels at the same time.

Old men and old money don't like change unless it's the quarter they tip the valet with.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
Aereo would argue they are not sending it. They would argue they are giving an access path to content your stored on a device you leased. The storage time may be for only 1 second or 1 hour, but you the person leasing are the one initiating the transmission.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Spike5

to Spike5
Dont sit there acting like you only pirate OTA material.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to n2jtx

to n2jtx
"Content" is also known as "culture". An example of "culture" is language.

No one has to teach you language and you don't have a right to language, but if someone actively kept you from learning how to speak, I'm sure people would be up in arms.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Does this nonsense actually make sense to pirates?

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20

Re: Go Ahead...

Actual article link here: »www.americantelevisional ··· in-2014/

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

A lot of programming has gone downhill

Weather channel plays the same rerun of Prospectors five times each day, none of the ABC shows are worth watching.

All I watch on TV anymore is Fox News, the evening news on WWLP 22, and listen to music on SonicTap. Weather Channel is good when they actually cover the weather but they actually have gone downhill so badly that they now have a competitor called WeatherNation.

I miss Home Improvement and ER. Those were the heyday of TV.

I think TV could make a comeback if they reduced the amount of advertising, if they rationed advertising, they could charge advertisers more. I think the FCC should step in and limit advertising, especially on pay TV, that would inflate advertising costs to advertisers.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Exactly I use to use my TV a ton For watching TV as the years have gone by every year there was less and less I wanted to watch. Now there's nothing I like on TV I don't use it for Watching TV anymore.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Re: CBS made a big mistake last year

I looked around and I think the OTA blackouts were mainly done by broadcast stations that are owned and operated by the big networks. The networks usually have their content go through affiliates, but they also own some OTA broadcasting stations.

pizmo pete
join:2007-10-24
Portland, CT

pizmo pete

Remember when it was FREE!

It was free when I grew up ....I live in ct and dumped DTV for antenna TV. I get 35 channels for free got DSL for Net flicks and id i want more interaction I play video games and do something other than be spoon feed 150 channels of crap. I went to stay with a friend and had uverse and I don't miss a thing. Why do they have commercials pay for the shows and then the recharge us a fee for what? You are foolish to think they are doing us all a favor. CUT THE CORD make them what they fear the most...a DUMB PIPE....don't get mad get even.