spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-09 15:40:30: Last year NASA announced that the agency would be conducting a Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration (LLCD) they believe will someday be capable of delivering speeds up to 600 Mbps. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 edit

Does it have an NSA back door built in????

Just wondering, wouldn't want any Martian terrorists getting the upper hand on us......

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3

Nah.. I'm sure its all secure. I believe RSA did the encryption.

--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Corehhi

While you are at it making lame jokes maybe thrown in how quick they could get to their cap too?

bananaki

@12.109.156.x

NASA has caps? ISPs are screwing EVERYBODY I guess!

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

And Yet

With all this amazing technology I can't get anything over 50/5 with wires.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Certainly beats RF.

For the distances they are hoping to use this for some day(I am guessing Earth-Mars being a target point for this) But a beam of light will suffer less break down over even the ranges faced in the local neighborhood than a radio beam.

Of course on a side point I wonder how this technology will filter down to things like LOS laser networking here on the surface. I imagine being able to deliver 2.5 gigabit to orbit with a laser through all that distance of atmosphere which always causes blooming will deliver benefits to the shorter ranges of say across an industrial park.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: And Yet

I guess that is the benefit of someone working for the most advanced government agency. NASA. they can get 500mbit even on the moon... now if only we went there.
--

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

AT&T and Verizon Respond

Also in the news...

AT&T and Verizon respond by asking the FCC to place the entire visible and invisible spectrum on an auction block for licensed use only.

AT&T and Verizon have filed for copyright protection for laser colors orange, blue, and red.

imanogre

join:2005-11-29
Smyrna, GA

When does this get scary

And someone decides to mount this on a shark's frickin' head?

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to buzz_4_20

News at 11!

Google Fiber announces their next planned "fiberhood" in the Sea of Tranquility. (We're not in Kansas anymore.)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to buzz_4_20

we'll send you to the moon and you can stare in to the light (we're on a budget so air food and a laser receiver are on your tab)

BTW the latency sucks

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX
reply to imanogre

Re: When does this get scary

said by imanogre:

And someone decides to mount this on a shark's frickin' head?

Not until after they finish the Alan-Parsons Project.

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Certainly beats RF.

said by Kearnstd:

Of course on a side point I wonder how this technology will filter down to things like LOS laser networking here on the surface. I imagine being able to deliver 2.5 gigabit to orbit with a laser through all that distance of atmosphere which always causes blooming will deliver benefits to the shorter ranges of say across an industrial park.

There are already LoS laser link devices:

»www.canon.com/bctv/canobeam/

But, I think that this would be useful even for geosynchronous satellites. There's a lot of potential bandwidth the light spectrum, and it could be focused more precisely.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

just one third for us city folks...please

with just one third of it we can actually rule the NET!!! naan just work

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to ptbarnett

NASA has multiple downlink sites to make sure one of them always has a reasonable chance of been cloud free (New Mexico, California, and Spain). I'm sure the sites were not chosen for their ground connectivity. This isn't a problem for NASA but it seems cost prohibitive for commercial satellite operators to maintain multiple good weather sites where terrestrial connectivity could be sparse or non-existent.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

Latency

Latency would be a bitch @ around 1.3 seconds each direction. No playing CoD on the moon!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to ptbarnett

I know los already exists I am thinking along the lines of what improvements this might bring to los
--

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Jim Kirk

Re: Latency

LOL! I was about to say the same thing.

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC
reply to battleop

Re: Does it have an NSA back door built in????

said by battleop:

While you are at it making lame jokes maybe thrown in how quick they could get to their cap too?

Government job, no caps but I bet the price per Gig is sky high.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ptbarnett

said by ptbarnett:

But, I think that this would be useful even for geosynchronous satellites

Clouds, and other atmospheric conditions tend to make light a less than perfect media. while long latency locations like the moon, mars and beyond hardly notice the additional terrestrial delay caused by sending to high altitude/low moisture locations to avoid the atmospherics (AZ HI chile the alps) domestic users certainly would complain.

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC
reply to Jim Kirk

Netflix should work alright though.

DeadSurvivor
Shattered Dreams
Premium
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

"A"

Remove the first "A" from NASA then you realize we'll be monitored in real time for everything we do. Anyone who thinks the NSA has stopped their data collection should rethink things. They've lied more times in one week than I ever could in a lifetime.

dasheldon

@comcast.net
reply to anonome

Great Timing!!! HA HA

Great Timing!!! HA HA

lemonade

join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Jim Kirk

LOL, was thinking the same.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to ptbarnett

Re: When does this get scary

Wow...He still around??? That as decades ago..like when David Hasselhoff still had a acting career.

M35

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Jason

I thought they where using WEP.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
reply to Kearnstd

Not the most advanced any more, they had a bunch of money cut from their budget.

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to Jim Kirk

For some reason, technology has us upgrading the 'speed' to the Gigabits, but we've never seen any real improvement to the real world latency issues.

Sure, bigger 'speed' limits just means wider pipes so you can stuff more packets down a hole.
But why don't we see boosts in latency?

If we get more better routing servers, the benefit far outweighs the 'cost' used to upgrade ourselves from Gigabit to Terabit in the future.

More routing server = more nodes in a route, routing servers also does the role of preventing ddos from being too damaging by easing up traffic from one server to another.

More routing servers may offer better latency, as packets are dropped over large distances.

A lot of NA's slow latency over long distance may be due to the way the current routing servers handle packets... But one wonders if the internet would be 10x faster if Botnets and the other 'bottleneck' entities on it, didn't exist.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

try not being drunk when you post your entire post sounded like babbling

tmh

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to battleop

It's all lies. I tried speedtest.net and it doesn't list the Moon on the server list.