dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-10 12:52:54: Variety notes that Sony remains in talks to create a "virtual MSO" TV streaming service that might be made available sometime this year. ..

elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

They can contemplate all they like...

But it isn't going to change the economics.

The content industry isn't about to make a deal that cannibalizes their estabslished sales channels.

They're only going to address offers that grow the pie.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: They can contemplate all they like...

They are one of the few that *MIGHT* make some headway. They own a lot of decent content on their own so they can withhold content as well.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Re: They can contemplate all they like...

that is what I was thinking SPE owns a lot of content.

I will not C&P the list because its far too large but...
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So ··· holdings
Uplinkpro
join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

Uplinkpro

Data caps

As long as companies insist on data caps and flawed meters this won't really get anywhere. Hopefully some companies such as Sony, MS, Netflix, and Google will step up to the plate for this issue considering it will affect them both in the short and long term.
TheKrell
join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA

TheKrell

Sony Pictures

But Sony is itself a content provider. So in principle, it could disrupt the business model of the other guys by doing this first starting with their own content.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

But, it's Sony

I'd like to be optimistic, but it's Sony. When I think Sony I think CD root kits and DVD control lockouts shoving unwanted commercials down my throat. I don't think I would get myself involved with even a free trial from them. A friend would have to have the service for me to see first.

That said, I loved the PS2 so not all things Sony are horrible. I'd just have to see it first.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: But, it's Sony

Think Betamax, DAT, Minidisk, ATRAC, UMD, and I think they even tried to push their own version of the SD card. Most of these were great formats in their time. The problem is that Sony gets greedy and they want to charge everyone else a ton of money to use their formats. This will likely be no different. They will put it on the PS4, TVs, Blueray players etc and charge some large licensing fee for everyone else.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Re: But, it's Sony

said by battleop:

they even tried to push their own version of the SD card.

Yeah, it was/is the Memory Stick and later Pro and Duo variants.

/M

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Millenium

Premium Member

to Millenium
Yep, there will most likely be some proprietary technology involved that will either isolate itself and die-off or take root and become the standard. I don't see the option of this becoming any type of standard. I do see this initially becoming a perk on Sony branded TV's and BR players, but Sony is not what I would consider to be a bargain in the industry. The quality is there, but they are expensive.

In this economy, people are using pepper spray and tasers in an effort to grab that cheap $300 40" LED TV from some obscure Chinese manufacturer. The consumers aren't about to pay a premium for a higher quality TV, even if it comes with some proprietary service with the Sony Pictures video library available.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Think is Cheep

Let us know when they actually do something.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

Their own content

If all they can show is their own content, it will be a bit limiting....
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Ooma Telo

devolved

Crackle Plus

They'll probably name it "Crackle Plus" and charge $7/mo for unlimited streaming.

The beauty is, nobody will be forced to buy it and SONY can sink or swim n the streaming video market with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Redbox, Blockbuster On Demand, et. al.

I can see now, as an example, instead of getting 10 episodes of Seinfeld a month for free like current Crackle users get, "Plus" users would get the entire catalog to stream as long as they're a paying customer.