spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-14 08:43:10: After months of speculation about a possible deal, Charter Communications has made their first official offer to acquire Time Warner Cable. According to Reuters, Charter is offering about $37.3 billion, or around $132. ..

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

wake up and smell the coffee

these fossilized cabletv executives over at twc are as clueless as
they were about coming trends as they were when they bought AOL.

the longer TWC holds out for better offers, the more subs it
will shed to cord cutting and the more worthless it will become.

soon all you'll have left are a tech ignorant subs
paying twc's debt service, with no profits at all.

the charter offer is smart because it's fcc-proof since charter
and twc do not compete in too many of the same markets.

twc should be glad it's getting any realistic offers at all.
if i were a cabletv competitor, i'd just wait till twc dies
then pick at it's bones for pennies on the dollar.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

Hope the deal is blocked

Charter is not very well liked here in Western Mass. I wish Time Warner was the cable provided here in Springfield.

As for Maine, I'd rather see that end up in the hands of Comcast or Mediacom.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Packeteers

Re: wake up and smell the coffee

Excuse me but you have it backwards. AOL, Steve Case, bought TWC.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Hope the deal is blocked

I want to see Comcast buy Mediacom LOL On a serious note. With the way our economy is, You are going to see a lot of these providers merging as for how long they can all stand on there own who knows?

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
reply to Mele20

TWC was part of Time Warner when AOL and Time Warner merged.

The cable guys weren't involved in the AOL/TW merger.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to Mele20
And AOL's board and Steve were head of TW for what? Half hour? Before the TW board got put back together again.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Hope the deal is blocked

On the plus side, Charter has 60/4 for $60 or so. Comcast and TWC (and Mediacom) are all more expensive, though their tiers tend to have more upload speed.

I have mixed feelings about Charter taking over Austin. Comcast is premium-priced as cable operators go, but you can get promotions, and in the face of GFiber promotions will be handed out liberally I'm sure (see Provo). And Comcast would compete with better tech, whereas I'm not sure that Charter would do that on a single-market basis as much.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

I hate to break it to him but...

Your company / product is only worth what someone is willing to pay on the open market.

You may think it is worth $160 a share, but if someone is not willing to pay you that, it certainly is not.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Excuse me but you have it backwards. AOL, Steve Case, bought TWC.

and regretted it, but still retired with a boatload of money.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Skippy25

Re: I hate to break it to him but...

I'd be willing to sell my house for $700k. I don't really want to move, so I don't care if someone isn't willing to pay that. If someone just has to have it, there's the bottom line.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

Funny.

Here in Wisconsin, Charter is the little guy and TWC is the big guy. I say block the deal....

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to djrobx

Apparently you probably could get $700k for your house. I read on snopes all about St. Joseph and apparently you bury him in your yard and your house will eventually sell. It was labeled as "Legend". Apparently this is how you sell an unsaleable house.

»www.snopes.com/luck/stjoseph.asp

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

comcast will.merge with time warner eventually

I think eventually comcast will merge with time warner. They will offer time warner what they want in price but might have to sell some assets or spin them off to get regulatory approval.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to hdman

Re: Funny.

they don't compete so why block the deal? your not changing anything by blocking it? it doesn't make sense to block it just because the smaller buys the bigger. It does happen.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
Up here they do. They each carved out territories that border one another, so a merger would give them both a pretty good control of my State. I say block it, but that of course is my opinion.
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
reply to Skippy25

I would say the price was a low ball considering TWC closed at $132.40 the day before. I jumped to $136 after the announcement of $132.50.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
that was more than likely the goal of this public offer, to raise the price of both companies so that someone can either sell some stock, or buy more with daily dividends. Making this offer public was a stock market ploy, and nothing more.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to hdman

But that is NOT competing with each other. Let me explain what competing with each other means- You have the choice of choosing between TWC and Charter at your address. That is competing against each other. But why does it matter of you only have access to one company? You only have access to one phone company. And FYI- most states only have one cable company that owns the last mile network. It's how they operate the same as power and phone, gas and water companies.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

Charter denigrates Time Warner Cable while making a case to buy it

It's kind of like - in order to get approval for a major loan from a bank, you first have to show how much you don't need one!

Charter blasts Time Warner Cable while making case to buy it
By Joe Flint and Meg James, The LA Times - January 14, 2014
»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···13.story

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to WhatNow

said by WhatNow:

I would say the price was a low ball considering TWC closed at $132.40 the day before. I jumped to $136 after the announcement of $132.50.

Actually the reason why TWC is $132 a share is all the merger rumors over the last year. if not for these rumors it would be trading at under $100 a share. So $132 is more than generous. Comcast would never be allowed to buy TWC and Cox isn't paying $160 a share. Heck they can't even offer $132 a share. So TWC can wait and as each quarter passes and they have fewer customers and less profit Charter's offer is likely to go down.

join:2014-01-06

Not that these executive asshats care about the folks that pay the bills!

These executive asshats are so busy preening their bean counting skills that they don't have time to care about the people that make their salaries possible,
THE SUBSCRIBERS!

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to TBBroadband

Its more complicated here. ATT lobbied the State to take local control away from the Towns who regulated who had which areas. This effectively killed local regulations regarding who got service which was based on population density. In our area, once an area had 12 homes in a mile, the carrier had to service them. Once this was gone, rural build outs ended. Everybody raced towards the bigger towns where they now all have choices, and the rural people have NO service.

Having more than one cable provider close to an area means that TWC is free now to jump into my town and provide service if Charter doesn't feel that providing service to a street does not make sense for them. Charter is in my town, and TWC is just outside the town. If they merge, there is NO chance that TWC would service my area. Right now, we have no service on my street since ATT had the rules changed, and Charter refuses to build out. At least having them seperate means there is a small chance that TWC would move in. Merging would kill that small chance.

I still say block the merger. Frankly, I would like to see Charter go bankrupt like they almost did a few times......
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

Re: Charter denigrates Time Warner Cable while making a case to buy it

Time Warner Cable has refuted Charter's claims with a presentation on its web site today:

Time Warner Cable Fights Back
MSO Launches Presentation to Counter Charter Claims

By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - January 15, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···k/147700

ghostrider56

join:2010-12-29
Independence, OH
reply to 63475675

Re: Not that these executive asshats care about the folks that pay the bills!

I think Google should buy Time Warner Cable and expanded on the fiber network over time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

you only have access to one company? You only have access to one phone company.

Probably mostly true; but some of us have "the other phone compny". My phone number does not show as owned by AT&T, but another company.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum