spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-16 09:18:55: Comcast's continued broadband and TV price hikes (including a recent modem fee increase and ever-expanding usage cap trials) will contribute to the construction of a new massive Comcast skyscraper in Philadelphia. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

We can afford it... We are your Cable Company!

We believe in money. Pools of money....

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

3 recommendations

said by KrK:

We believe in money. Pools of money....

I guess you're quoting from this excellent YouTube video:

The First Honest Cable Company
»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···Mx7k7mso

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

If they need to compete with SV..

THen they need to build their new building somewhere other than Philly.

syslock
Premium
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

1 recommendation

Say what?

Didn't they just build a new skyscraper already? This will be another one?

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to KrK

-nt-

Sigh. Wish I could delete posts if within a certain time frame.

NotCableCo

@comcast.net
reply to KrK

Re: We can afford it... We are your Cable Company!

said by KrK:

We are your Cable Company!

No longer the cable company says Comcast's CEO:

“We used to be a cable company,” said Roberts.“We would not call ourselves that any longer.”

Today the company operates Universal theme parks, creates original films and oversees national and regional programming, while continuing to hold true to its roots with subscriber-based cable, high-speed internet and voice services.

“We have completely transformed …the definition of who we are,” said Roberts, who added the company is now situated at the “cross-section of technology and media.”

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to telcodad

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to NotCableCo
Click for full size
True. It's much worse now.

NotCableCo

@comcast.net

3 recommendations

reply to syslock

Re: Say what?

said by syslock:

Didn't they just build a new skyscraper already? This will be another one?

Yes they did. And like the old one, the taxpayers of Phila and PA will contribute lots of money to the project. That is the shakedown a large company like Comcast does. Gives us lots of tax breaks or we will go elsewhere.

While the city stands to gain from the $1.2 billion project, it will also contribute $10 million in grants towards construction. The Commonwealth will chip in an additional $30 million in grants.

The joint venture of Comcast and Liberty Property Trust will apply for the city's 10-year tax abatement, said William Hankowsky, president and CEO of the real estate firm. But, he added, there are no plans to seek tax-increment financing.

The $40 million in total assistance is just shy of the $42.75 million in financial incentives the city and state provided for the construction of the $540 million Comcast Center.

And we wonder why city and state governments go broke. They have to pay extortion to keep the companies that do business in their cities and states to not go elsewhere.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Really ?

"We’re competing for talent with Silicon Valley," insists Comcast VP David Cohen. "We want to have a building and a facility and a feel that is competitive with that."
Really , your competing with Silicon Valley ? What are you guys making that is technology based and requires above average intelligence ? Certainly not cable guys/gals or equipment....

This is the ceo's e-penis !

How bout move out to a burb of Philly so ya help ease congestion and polution so workers don't sit in a train all morning or sit in traffic ? Just saying.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to NotCableCo

On the other hand 40 million for another 4000 high wage taxpayers and a very expensive but taxable property improvement that can't be moved is a pretty good investment compared to a sports stadium or other"public investment"/tax break deal.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

Guess my monthly payments....

paid for something good, lol !

anonome

@verizon.net

Well, sure...

because Comcast cable, Internet, and telephone are so cutting-edge. Absolutely money well-spent. All Comcast customers (aka "the great unwashed" investors) should feel proud... proud, I tell you!

O_o

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

Comcast's giant 1,121 foot ego

Will a wifi antenna go with that?

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to tshirt

Ask Detroit how that all worked out.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Or Washington vs Boeing, server farms, apple growers, seahawks,etc.

Businesses ALWAYS seek some advantage, cities/states always need a tax base. Philly/PA is pretty successful at extracting more than enough taxes to compensate for this fairly minor enticement.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

In Philly???????

"We’re competing for talent with Silicon Valley" ????
First step would be get out of Philly.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

And by sucking money out of DirecTV

I posted my anger about the DirecTV/Weather Channel dispute on Facebook and one of my friends from my school days explained that most carriage contracts are renewed smoothly. When carriage disputes arise it's because the programming provider wants a lot more money than the previous contract. The reason Comcast never gets into carriage disputes is they recoup it off of their high profit margin services like internet and digital voice (non tv subscribers).

The weather channel claims they are fighting over a penny increase but from what my friend said it's probably a lot more. I don't think neither side is telling 100 percent of the truth.

But Comcast and NBC/U want the money so they can build lavish real estate. I'd like to see those 4000 jobs go to Comcast employed call center agents. How about investing the money in pleasing your customers instead.

Happy customers = more profit.

Angry customers = don't buy more than they have to from you.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Corehhi

Re: In Philly???????

myokitis

join:2004-06-19
Alexandria, VA
reply to NotCableCo

said by NotCableCo :

And we wonder why city and state governments go broke. They have to pay extortion to keep the companies that do business in their cities and states to not go elsewhere.

I'm not shedding a tear for the city of Philly . . . I used to work there. The city charges workers a signif city wage tax just for the privledge of working w/in the city borders (3.924% Resident
3.495% Non-Resident). Multiply that time thousands of employees retained, the city gov't is ensured those funds keep flowin'. See: »www.phila.gov/Revenue/businesses···Tax.aspx

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to tshirt
Where did you read high wage jobs? CSR reps are typically paid low and treated like dirt.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by KrK:

Where did you read high wage jobs? CSR reps are typically paid low and treated like dirt.

I actually read the story
Which said
"The $1.2 billion development will be home to up to 4,000 employees dedicated to developing new apps, software and business services for the Philadelphia-based company."
Not exact CSR's

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
I read between the lines. It's a PR statement. 4000 programmers, no.

A couple dozen? Likely.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
CSR's get housed in some business park in NJ, or off shored. tower buildings are for housing those with degrees on a higher pay grade. Not just programmers, marketing accounting and all those NBC (non broadcast networks) people you want to move out of expensive buildings owned by somebody else in NY.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
They already have that other Tower. Guess they'll just move them over and create 4000 new jobs at all pay grades. Those jobs if displayed graphically by compensation, it would be a pyramid. Always is.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
They aren't building a high rise warehouse downtown, this will be professionals and THEIR support staff.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Corehhi

Re: In Philly???????

not just Philly, PA is no longer a cheap place to do business. NJ and NY compete for giving the most tax breaks to big business while the little guy pays MORE taxes.

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit

I can not afford to build them a new skyscraper :(

I will have to switch to the Death star now att Hey they can not even find me a DPC 3939 wireless gateway2 that they advertise here. Need the dual channel. OH they can not even get the X1 platform's internet APPs to work "the ones under the DASHBOARD APPs. Maybe if they concentrate on their current product and customer service for they are usually last in this. But when I was at the Service Centre on Delemere street in near 14 mile in Royal Oak to pay my bill I found a Diamond in the Rough. The CSR there was very pleasant treated me actually like a customer should be treated. The CSR at 14 mile and Van Dyke in Warren are not that pleasant and need to take lessens from the other service centre I just mention earlier.

dgeorge90

join:2004-01-10
Riverside, NJ

Our own - this is huge for our future

You go Comcast.

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

Competing for talent with Silicon Valley??

Seriously ? With all those script-reading, unintelligible, outsourced CAEs answering their phones?? (Yeah, I know -- there are *some* decent CAEs.)

Yeah, a new building is sure to lure Silicon Valley talent. Those 4,000 employees housed in that building -- undoubtedly they will be lawyers and PR folks, lol.