spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-17 16:45:54: Android Central has obtained documents indicating Sprint is preparing to offer users free Wi-Fi calling on at least two handsets (initially). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

bigballer

@69.57.253.x

What a joke

Tmobile UMA calling works internationally, why can't sprint's?

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Sprint Welcome to 2010 !!!

When Tmobile had it on their first smart phone. This should be a basic option on all smart phones and all providers.

Heres to hoping its just an app and not tied to the kernel like tmo does.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

911 doesn't apply to T-Mobile?

No cell signal need be present for T-Mobile wifi calling to work. That's ~why~ they have it!

bigballer

@69.57.253.x

hhaha

If cell signal WAS existent, why would I be using wifi calling in the first place?

Bunch of baboons at sprint...

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
There are areas where I have an almost dead phone, but not quite, signal-wise. This would allow me to have good voice quality in those areas, and keep my phone from burning up its battery holding onto an iffy cell signal nonstop.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Seriously Sprint?

Cell signal in order to have a Wifi call?... That defeats the whole purpose of Wifi calling to begin with.

What's the point of this if a cell signal is required? Sprint already has Unlimited talk/text/data plans so it's not about that.

bigballer

@69.57.253.x
reply to iansltx

Re: hhaha

I'm referring to areas where there is no signal penetration whatsoever.

Like basements and some brick buildings or in a very rural area

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to amarryat

Re: 911 doesn't apply to T-Mobile?

T-Mobile forces you to go to their website (which can be done on your phone, over WiFi) to set up 911 information before you can turn on WiFi calling. Except that this address is fixed, rather than based on GPS, so 911 responders will be getting the wrong idea if you're doing WiFi calling over at your friend's house :/

My guess is that Sprint wanted to do something similar, but didn't get the exemption that T-Mobile did to have lousy e911 while on WiFi, or wasn't able to handle the phone firmware and network customization quite enough.

Too bad I won't be able to take advantage of this though, since my Nexus 5 is missing a number of nice-to-have Sprint features (e.g. visual voicemail).

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
everytime my phone connects to wifi calling the GPS comes on on T-Mobile.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Hm, I wonder why they make you enter the 911 address then.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Such Innovation

Wow. Had that on T-Mobile for years.

eco
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to iansltx

Possibly to determine whether or not at your registered address?

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to plat2on1
Also once you're on T-Mo WiFi calling it turns the cell off so it doesn't matter if you had service or not. SMH Sprint

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

Minutes?

What are those, are the rest of you living in metered minutes land? Unlimited is where it's at. Next up what a gimmiky service that wont ever get used cause of poor implementation, then they'll just claim no one wanted it.

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

Late again

I already have an app on my phone that does that. I don't even need a cell available.
Sprint has poor cover in my service area and my wifi works great!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Seriously Sprint?

said by IPPlanMan:

Cell signal in order to have a Wifi call?... That defeats the whole purpose of Wifi calling to begin with.

I wonder if the article meant to say GPS signal instead of CDMA signal. If it needs to check in via CDMA now and then..i wonder how often it needs to do this.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

snarf7

join:2013-08-31

Why bother

It's useless and defeats it's purpose to have a working phone absent of coverage

schmolf4

join:2011-06-23
who is driving the bus heading for that steep cliff?

Whoozits

join:2014-01-15

I can hear AT&T and Verizon stifling a laugh

The two biggest wired phone and internet providers in the nation have pretty significant wireless interests. I'm sure they won't "prioritize" Sprint's wifi calls in any way.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

T-Mobile forces you to go to their website (which can be done on your phone, over WiFi) to set up 911 information before you can turn on WiFi calling.

No, they don't. I use WiFi calling and, tho they've prompted me to set up an E911 address, I never have.

Jim

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

Republic

Sprint- TMO beat you to it in 2010, and Republic on a much larger scale this year. It's pretty much time to give up your effort on being an actual wireless company- MVNOE is much better option for you especially since it seems that is what you are best at doing.

justpassing

@wideopenwest.com
Republic has been doing it for over 2 years. WAS a beta tester. Now have them in my phone line up. However, Republics WILL hand off to WiFi to CDMA.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to jseymour

Weird. Last November, when T-Mobile's network flat-out didn't work at COTA near Austin, a friend wasn't allowed to turn on WiFi Calling on his One S until he put in his 911 address (I had turned my iPad into a hotspot because VZW LTE still worked there).

Samothrake

join:2013-02-07
Avon, IN

really?

Wow...

I first got wifi calling on a T-Mobile back in 2005 (I think) with a Motorola flip-fone. (and later, a Nokia). And those minutes didn't (at the time) count against my limit.
--
It's all true!
Even the lies...

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

1 edit
reply to TBBroadband

Re: Republic

Who cares if someone beat them to this?

It's another feature they are adding. Good for them.

hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD
reply to iansltx

setup a gmail account and you can get the same thing by having google take over the voicemail..:)

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to bigballer

Re: What a joke

Or even in a basement with no cell service. This makes no sense.

Pegasus
Premium
join:2008-01-04
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Sometimes just because you have dots or bars doesnt mean you can make a call

as with anyone with sprint struggles knows just because you have cell service doesn't mean your going to be able to complete a call. Tons of times especially in the lower depths of my house my 4S will drop into 1X and either the call wont get past a fast busy or the quality of the call will be absolutely horrid. No excuse for a poor network but i can at least benefit from this.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to iansltx

I never had to do that with TMO WiFi Calling. Just turned it on, it did the VPN connection and started talking.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Chuck_IV

Re: Republic

Feature they're adding? LOL. They should have done that under Dan instead of their POS AiRave devices that they thought were better than WiFi Calling. The fact is this is an old technology that has been done and still is. Sprint needs to get with the times and move on to something better instead of being stuck in 2000.