dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-22 08:40:24: Rumors of a new Amazon video set top box and an accompanying new Internet video service (or an expansion of their existing Amazon Prime streaming selection) have been rumbling about for years. ..

Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

Right in the TV

I don't really understand the need for a new set top box. With internet and smart TV's it would seem any company could move any service across existing hardware. Albeit, smart TV penetration is still small, but I'd think it'll grow rapidly as long as they don't start putting camera's and microphones in them and use them for in-home spy boxes.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by Millenium:

I don't really understand the need for a new set top box.

No to mention Roku already supports Amazon and they could cut a deal with Apple to put an Amazon app on that device too (not sure if the WD TV already supports it). This is one time I wish Amazon would forget the hardware and focus on the content.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by n2jtx:

said by Millenium:

I don't really understand the need for a new set top box.

No to mention Roku already supports Amazon and they could cut a deal with Apple to put an Amazon app on that device too (not sure if the WD TV already supports it). This is one time I wish Amazon would forget the hardware and focus on the content.

Roku won't get them much. They barely have over 5 million boxes. Now Apple could. Apple sold more Apple TVs in one year than Roku has sold in their entire existence.

But either way Amazon streaming has a very longs ways to go before they come anywhere close to netflix. Netflix streams twenty times as much as Amazon.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Pure Fantasy

Despite the repeated thrashing of a dead horse on populist blogs, pay-tv is not going to go a la carte, or offer itself up for less across franchise areas, or via IPTV delivery over the internet.

There is NO incentive for the content owners to allow such.

Just because the technology is capable, doesn't mean the public is willing to pay the price point necessary to motivate the content industry to budge.
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo

said by elray:

There is NO incentive for the content owners to allow such.

Not right now. But when more competing content outlets (Netflix) enter the market, they'll play or lose. That's how it works.

I really don't want ala carte, I just want to watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it. How it gets there, I don't really care.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Right in the TV

Apple won't help, think ITunes store.......
Corehhi

Corehhi

Over all a shake up is going on

Netflix set the standard and others are trying to go after Netflix. The other side is the content providers who want to have their own pay internet channels or some way they can crank up the price of their reruns.

In the end this will shake out, how long that takes??? Disney tried their own pay channel and failed. Netflix has taken on a bunch of Disney shows to my children's delight and Disney is also going to start releasing new movies through Netflix after their theater run. If Disney couldn't pull it off it makes you wonder who will??? I don't think any one content provider can go it alone. I think it will be someone like Netflix who just becomes so big they gobble up some much content that they become the go to service. Most likely it will get down to 3 or 4 services and that's it until someone kills off another service. It's like Block Buster in the day, slow but surely they killed off just about everyone. Of course tech changed and they are gone now.

I saw this from the days of no video rentals till now and one thing is for sure it is not a stable situation over a decade and never has been. For you young people you didn't live in the dark ages of 4 channels on your TV and no VCR. If you wanted to rent a movie you could, it took weeks and came on a huge Reel and you needed a projector to play it.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

I think it has paid off for Netflix being everywhere. From phones, to iPods and Pads; to computers, DVD players, consoles, set top boxes, even in TV's. Anything with a screen and an internet connection is where they needed to be, where anyone who wants to do this needs to be. And it's why I think the set top box approach is fool hardy.

It's also paying off for them delivering what viewers want. What you want, when you want, on whatever you want with no commercials.

Indeed you are right. They have set the standard.

/End Netflix Promo Seriously though, Netflix is almost surreal to me. I keep waiting for the plug to be pulled because it's almost too good to be true compared to cable.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Netflix has become a must have on any hardware because they have many customers so it would be stupid not to have an app or whatever on your device for Netflix.

Not really a Netflix promo because they could be out done by Hulu plus (doubt it) or someone like Amazon may put up a good fight against Netflix. Who knows but it's unfolding now and in the near future not 10 years from now.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to desarollo

to desarollo

Re: Pure Fantasy

But Netflix can't compete without the content people want.