dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-23 14:33:29: The other day we exclusively reported that Comcast was rolling out yet another round of speed improvements for the company's customers, with many of the company's existing tiers seeing their speeds doubled yet again. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

upload

What is the upload speeds on the different tiers and are they increasing too?
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma

stilll...

I would like the same performance for less money. There is no way I can use 50, so I'm paying for all that extra bandwidth that is going to waste. They're copying the cable channel side of the business. Give me "hundreds" of channels, most of which I don't watch, then charge me a bundle.

It's a pure marketing ploy at users' expense.
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to jgkolt

to jgkolt

Re: upload

Performance 25/5 is becoming 50/10
Blast 50/10 is becoming 105/20
Extreme 105/20 *may* become 305/65 - though this tier does not use DOCSIS but metro fiber

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to cdbma

Premium Member

to cdbma

Re: stilll...

does this include business customers?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to cdbma

to cdbma
So, you want a cheaper tier and less speed? What if they just wanted to get rid of the slower tiers?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

Chicago; Detroit; Atlanta; Detroit; Miami; and Nashville, Tenn

Miami is Central? Somebody get a map out.
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

I want the same speed at a lower price. Their costs are not going up, just their price. They're padding the top line and puffing out their chests at the competition.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to jagged

MVM

to jagged

said by jagged:

Extreme 105/20 *may* become 305/65

According to Jason Livingood (Vice President of Comcast's Internet & Communications Engineering Division), 305/65 is not (nor soon-to-be) a DOCSIS HSI tier:

quote:
305 is not a current or near term DOCSIS tier.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

surprised no Philly Metro

mainly because that is their home region with HQ and all.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Chicago; Detroit; Atlanta; Detroit; Miami; and Nashville, Tenn

Nice of them to mention Detroit twice. Maybe we'll get doubled twice...

phunkysmell
@comcast.net

phunkysmell

Anon

internet only

So if you have internet only you pay $10 more for half the speed (or looked at another way, $30 more for internet only). They're really doing everything they can to paddle upstream against the cord cutters and preserve their old business model. They could never pull these tricks with real competition.
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

Just got upsold by Comcast

I've been paying $64 for internet-only Performance package for the last year, as the promo deal expired and the retention dept didn't take my bluff (to leave unless they extend my promo deal!).

Comcast "convinced" me to switch to the basic cable & blast double-hitter package for ~$45ish for a 12months.

Speedtests do currently come out to 50Mbps, but realistically I can't see much difference between 25Mbps vs 50Mbps. Netflix/Hulu streaming site don't/can't seem to take advantage of 50Mbps.

100Mbps will awesomely just be bragging rights and not much more.

As much as I hate to give my $ to the (evil) big Comcast industrial complex, this is actually a good value deal. (I will comment again in 12months after my talking to retention dept.)

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

3 recommendations

nerdburg

Premium Member

Since nobody said it yet...

"Oh great now I can get to my cap twice as fast!"
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571 to tshirt

to tshirt

Remember how the Atlanta Braves used to be in the NL Western Division.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium to pkorx8

to pkorx8

Re: Just got upsold by Comcast

said by pkorx8:

Netflix/Hulu streaming site don't/can't seem to take advantage of 50Mbps.

Ummm, albeit at the "low" video quality setting, I can stream two shows simultaneously without stalling on my 2/1 line. There are some real issues on Comcast!
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to pkorx8

to pkorx8
said by pkorx8:

Speedtests do currently come out to 50Mbps, but realistically I can't see much difference between 25Mbps vs 50Mbps.

Exactly. You'll be hard pressed to find any content provider that will feed at anything close to the current speeds, much less the new doubled speeds. There are two reasons Comcast is doing this:

1) There is some marginal benefit to households with simultaneous users. Theoretically you could have 5 or 6 people streaming HD video at the same time. Practically, the number of accounts where this is currently a problem is probably quite small.

2) More importantly, with the exception of the current FIOS footprint which is very small, it kills the phone companies who are trying to compete using VDSL or fiber to the node.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to Bob61571

Premium Member

to Bob61571

They list Atlanta as central too but Miami is about as southeast as you can get being on the shore of the Atlanta Atlantic ocean, not the Great lakes or Mississippi river or other Central US landmark of any kind...or at least it was when I went to school.
First New Math, now New geography?

mustang50
Premium Member
Roseville, MI

1 edit

mustang50 to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg

Re: Since nobody said it yet...

We were waiting for you to say it.

I wish Comcast was more like Nike.

JUST DO IT!

Jose G
@12.96.2.x

Jose G

Anon

HOUSTON

Would Houston be under the Central division of Comcast. Or does it fall under another division?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by jagged:

Extreme 105/20 *may* become 305/65

According to Jason Livingood (Vice President of Comcast's Internet & Communications Engineering Division), 305/65 is not (nor soon-to-be) a DOCSIS HSI tier:

quote:
305 is not a current or near term DOCSIS tier.

So what? Extreme 105 becomes 205-250? That's still doable on Docsis

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to mustang50

Premium Member

to mustang50

said by mustang50:

I wish Comcast was more like Nike.

You mean like using child labor in sweatshops and exposing workers and the environment to toxic chemicals?

A little caution is not a bad thing.
better a slower more reasoned rollout, than having a nationwide disaster
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Clarification on what's happening

Comcast isn't actually upgrading existing speed tiers, and Multichannel's article makes that crystal clear. Performance isn't gaining any speed "only for double or triple play users". Nor is Blast.

What *is* happening is Comcast is repositioning Performance as an "entry level" tier, too low-speed (heh) for bundling as part of a double or triple play, while simultaneously bringing "extreme" into the fold of tiers that are actually efficient to get under a double or triple play situation, rather than having little in the way of discounts compared to lower-end tiers. At the same time, they're adding some more "discount juice" for folks who get a double or triple play with those tiers, so prices end up being the same despite the higher tiers.

This also explains why there don't appear to be plans for a faster DOCSIS based tier on the cards; Extreme 105 will stay Extreme 105, available for $115 or so per month for folks who want internet-only (plus modem and router rental, or you can buy your own). But Extreme 105 plus phone or extreme 105 plus cable TV (or both) will now be available at minimal extra cost above Internet-only service.

Point being, you'll still be able to get the fastest tier Comcast offers in your area as Internet-only (as opposed to some smaller ISPs who won't allow that). It'll just be as expensive as ever, and adding voice or TV to your bill will make a much smaller impact as long as you're sitting at 50/10 or better anyway (which, yes, is overkill for some people).

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to pkorx8

Premium Member

to pkorx8

Re: Just got upsold by Comcast

Netflix and other sites send data in chunks now rather than flooding the end devices. It's actually better for the network.

mustang50
Premium Member
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

oh geez I was just kidding...but they must think they're ready or they wouldn't have announced this...

And I bet if you asked some CSRs...it's not much different.. just kidding again....

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

said by SimbaSeven:

So, you want a cheaper tier and less speed? What if they just wanted to get rid of the slower tiers?

Then Comcast would be like Charter. They can start at 60 meg also.
bobjohnson

1 recommendation

bobjohnson to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

said by tshirt:

being on the shore of the Atlanta ocean,
First New Math, now New geography?

Does the Atlanta Ocean get double Comcast speeds also

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to mustang50

Premium Member

to mustang50

I think the phased thing is because they KNOW there will be growing pains and that the CSR's can only handle so many additional calls at once.
The idea that ANY rollout is as simple as flip a switch and call it good is a long way from reality.
tshirt

tshirt to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson

twice the water level might bring it to the central time zone, but then it wouldn't be center any more.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Yeah, if the Atlantic Ocean makes it to Atlanta, Chicago would be the east coast also

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: Clarification on what's happening

So what it boils down to is that someone like me, who currently subscribes to Limited Basic TV and Performance HSI, will not get that HSI increased from current 25/5 to 50/5. I'd need to subscribe to a double or triple play package to see that increase.
page: 1 · 2 · next