dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-23 18:30:34: Verizon continues to tinker with their shared data pricing in response to T-Mobile price disruption, their latest change offering users 250 MB of data for $20 a month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

DarkenMoon
Premium Member
join:2013-11-14
Silver Springs, NV

DarkenMoon

Premium Member

Mother of god..

So you can blow through all your data in just a day? Well, isn't this a nice way to get some money..
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

5 recommendations

bcltoys

Who Give's a S**t

Who care's

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

I Love A Good Joke

At least I assume that is what Verizon is doing. I checked the calendar and it is not April 1st so I guess perhaps they are serious. $20 for 250MB of shared data?!?! I am sure John Legere got a good laugh out of that. Verizon must be confident in their offering but I would have to question the sanity of any customer that signed up for it.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1

wow

Wow, now you can watch a movie and it will only cost ya around 60$

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to bcltoys

Premium Member

to bcltoys

Re: Who Give's a S**t

yep

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Good for non-smartphones

Good for people who use basic phones. Not everybody uses smartphones.

My mother and grandmother have good old flip phones (Samsung Convoy II).

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

The WiFi plan

Verizon might as well call this the WiFi plan.

What a joke.

John Legere is somewhere wearing a magenta Batman suit and laughing his ass off.

empire5
join:2002-07-31
Rosharon, TX

empire5 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Good for non-smartphones

Yippie. 12 MB for a dollar. Its 2003 at Verizon.
empire5

1 recommendation

empire5

lol

Apprently 4GB is "heavy data use" at Verizon. No wonder Verizons network is so good, you can barely use it.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

circling the bottom of the barrel

since $10 a gigabyte wasn't enough.. surely you'll like 250 megabytes for $20, afterall, that's only $10 per 125 megabytes. $10 per gigabyte was too good for you.

Verizon's really raring to make back all the money they spent getting rid of Vodafone's investment.. all in all nothing good for the consumer from ANY of the wireless carriers lately, not even Tracfone's new android deals & service.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to empire5

Premium Member

to empire5

Some people (particularly the 50 and over crowd) prefer the simplicity of a basic phone.

The nice thing about Verizon is you don't have to worry about minutes anymore, which is killing landline carriers. I remember back in my high school years you used the home phone for most of your conversations and your cell phone on the go.

Now the home phone is used for the alarm dialer and emergencies with true Enhanced 911 (had to call 911 Sunday night when grandma broke her hip and I used the house phone).

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

When I was with ATT

When I was with AT&T I had a 200mb data plan as everything else was too damn expensive. 1 iPhone 4 with no texting, some large voice minutes plan, and 200mb data, + 1 dumbphone on same line was a total of $70 a month.

The iPhone 4 could BLOW through the 200mb cap if you actually used it for multimedia. Just doing mild web browsing, iMessage, and eMail could let you squeak by.

That 200mb of data was $15 a month. The new family plans are even MORE expensive.

T-Mobiles network might not be great, but their pricing sure is. And where I live, coverage is good enough for those not totally addicted to their phones like crack.

Lots of LTE and 3g on the refarmed EDGE bands in the population centers, EDGE in countryside.

Anyways, back on topic....
These small plans are HUGE rip offs. They cost practically nothing to provide, yet are more expensive than sending data to space.

WTF American Telecom!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to ArrayList

MVM

to ArrayList

Re: Who Give's a S**t

I'm so glad someone made a GIF of that...
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

2 recommendations

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

You are the only person who I can think of who would think $20 for 250MB on a dumb phone would be at all in anyway good. It’s called rape. Before smartphones, I paid $5 (and that covered both phones on my account) for unlimited (or as unlimited as you could get using a java based browser) data with Nextel for their ‘Nextel Wireless Web’ service. Anyone dumb enough to pay more than a few dollars for data access on a flip phone deserves to be taken to the cleaners. $20 is beyond insane especially being limited only 1X or EVDO at best.

And I know you’re married to Verizon Wireless and enjoy forking over cash to them for their overpriced, halfassed services, but you do realize most of the providers have been offering unlimited voice minutes for YEARS now, right? When I got Nextel in 2002, they offered unlimited voice for $150/month.

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101

Premium Member

Typo

"Under Verizon Shared data you get unlimited data and voice, but you pay from $5 to $40 a month to connect specific devices to the network."

Really you get unlimited data on a tiered data share plan? :O

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

$20 for the data plus $30 basic phone access = $50 which is the average bill for a basic phone. Sure beats $150 for unlimited voice minutes.

Too bad Verizon doesn't have a no data plan for people who don't use data.

Acuity
join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

1 recommendation

Acuity

But the network makes it worth it...

Just kidding. I'm paying $30/month for 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data from T-Mobile. As long as people keep using Verizon, they'll keep charging retarded prices though. You complain, but you still pay.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x to DarkenMoon

to DarkenMoon

Re: Mother of god..

Interesting to note that you can get an entire phone line with unlimited talk, text, and sprint 3g for that price AND you get to roam on verizon (via republic wireless). Cracks me up.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

You clearly missed the point. Point is Verizon didn't invent unlimited voice. It's not just Verizon where 'you don't have to worry about minutes anymore' and the concept of unlimited voice is well over a decade old. How much did unlimited voice minutes with Verizon or whatever they called themselves back then?
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

shmerl

How does it detect the usage?

How can it know the difference between unlimited usage from the primary device, and limited usage from secondary connected devices?

By the way, T-Mobile also claims, that even on their unlimited data plan, usage of secondary devices has a monthly data cap. I never really understood the point of it.
shmerl

shmerl to Acuity

to Acuity

Re: But the network makes it worth it...

I thought $30/month from T-Mobile is not unlimited (unlike their $70/month), it's 5 GB/month. And also see below, they claim that unlimited only refers to the usage from the primary device, not from the secondary ones.

Of course T-Mobile doesn't block the connection above the cap - it just throttles it, but it's still not called unlimited.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

Verizon doesn't offer non-data postpaid voice plans anymore is my point.

I don't mind as I have a smartphone and a couple of data only devices and mom and grandma are only added to my plan for $30 a pop since they have basic phones.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to shmerl

Premium Member

to shmerl

Re: How does it detect the usage?

T-Mobile doesn't have shared data. Everyone has their own data plan.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to shmerl

to shmerl
Tethering comes out of a limited data bucket. But $70 unlimited everything except tethering gets you 2.5GB. Which isn't so bad.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Heh. I pay $45 for the same darn thing. I even *lightly* tether once in awhile.
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

shmerl to iansltx

to iansltx
quote:
Tethering comes out of a limited data bucket.
I don't really understand how. Do they monitor network packets or something, to determine whether they originate from the primary device or not? If they have deep traffic inspection then it's pretty nasty.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Verizon doesn't offer non-data postpaid voice plans anymore is my point.

Yes they do. The old plans are still available, just unadvertised. Throw a big enough hissy fit and they'll put you on them, even as a completely new customer. They aren't truly unlimited voice calling (well, they can be, but it costs more) but with nights & weekends + mobile to mobile they might as well be.
Crookshanks

1 recommendation

Crookshanks to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

It's called rape.

I'm really growing weary of the casual way that people use that analogy. Why don't you talk to someone who has ACTUALLY been raped and then try using the analogy for something as mundane as a wireless data plan?

Speaking of....
said by Happydude32:

You are the only person who I can think of who would think $20 for 250MB on a dumb phone would be at all in anyway good.

If this is part of "Share Everything" (and it looks like it is) then you can use it for any device. I know quite a few people who don't break the 100MB barrier with their smartphones, never mind 250MB. It may boggle the mind for people like us, but there's a sizable percentage of people out there who barely utilize the "smart" portion of their smartphones. It's also a viable option for a pool of dumbphones to share, as opposed to the $10 individual line data plans.

Not saying I would use it, but there's bound to be a market for it.
Crookshanks

Crookshanks to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: When I was with ATT

said by Zenit_IIfx:

T-Mobiles network might not be great, but their pricing sure is.

Their pricing is so awesome because the network is underdeveloped. If they had Verizon's network they wouldn't have to compete on pricing, would they?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Works for me

I have an HTC Droid DNA, most data I have ever used is ~150MB in a month. I get wireless for data just about everywhere I am except the car.

This month is 92MB, and I use the phone constantly for work

This is a about a 30% reduction in my bill, so while you data junky's that stream video or music 24/7 on the go might snort at it, works for me just fine
page: 1 · 2 · next