spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-24 14:11:22: When Sprint recently stated that 2014 would finally be Sprint's year, they apparently weren't talking about many of their own employees. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

wonder if partially in prep for tmobile

If tmobile comes to be would have duplicate employees. Also Son may not be thrilled with all the current employees.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Puzzled

Sprint has the worst data network bar none and has been stumbling along on "six months from now it will be better" for the last two-plus years. So rather than put these people to work pushing the overhaul of Sprint, they are cutting back on people including customer service. John Legere's comment about Sprint being "a pile of spectrum waiting to be turned into a capability" looks more truthful every day.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to nonymous

Re: wonder if partially in prep for tmobile

I was going to say "and they want to buy T-Mobile". They can't start eliminating people until a deal is in place. I would think this is more from when Softbank bought them and they are now shedding redundancy.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Ripe for Acquisition

If Sprint loses any more money than the smart move would be an acquisition by Verizon Wireless since the two networks are compatible but with the following conditions:

1. Must allow former sprint customers on unlimited data to be grandfathered, even after contract renewals and handset upgrades including purchases of iPhones and other iconic devices.
2. Must continue to offer all former sprint rate plans.
3. May not alter former sprint customers data management policies (such as soft caps and throttling).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

PlusOne

@comcast.net
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

If tmobile comes to be would have duplicate employees. Also Son may not be thrilled with all the current employees.

Also, Sprint is still in the process of turning over its infrastructure buildout and also infrastructure management to Ericsson and Nokia. This is reducing these people by either layoff or transfer of these employees.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to nonymous
My brother works at a company and the always know when the company is getting ready to buy or merge with another one. He said when the slack ass employees start to disappear they are trimming the fat to prepare for an influx of new faces. He said it seems like they put some time into figuring who was worth keeping and who was not and that they didn't seem to just look at the cost of the employee.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Ripe for Acquisition

What about the areas that already are covered by both Sprint and Verizon? Would that mean that Verizon would simply divest the redundant areas like VZ did with Alltel?

SteelerRaw

@72.5.190.x
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

If Sprint loses any more money than the smart move would be an acquisition by Verizon Wireless since the two networks are compatible

Sprint did make a $383 million profit in Q3, Q4 results are pending.

Last year 80% of Sprint was acquired by SoftBank and they've given no indication that they're interested in selling.

Verizon is in the process of paying a whopping $130 billion to buy Vodafone's 45% stake in Verizon Wireless. They're likely not going making another major acquisition anytime soon.

The DOJ sued to stop the the #2 carrier from buying the #4 carrier and their networks were compatible. It's highly doubtful that they now would let the #1 carrier buy the #3 carrier.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to IowaCowboy
verizon does not have the cash after buying out the vodafone stake

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy
Plus Verizon would not be allowed to buy Sprint. They would be just too large. Even Tmobile Sprint has some questions as eliminates a fourth carrier but more likely to be allowed.
Also Sprint now has Softbanks backing so cash is not an issue so long as it stabilizes. Son axed all the current marketing campaigns and hired new ad companies.
Now maybe axing dead weight. Son is not selling Sprint anytime soon.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to n2jtx

Re: Puzzled

The overhaul is being done by outside contractors. Doubt most of those on the chopping block ever climbed a cell tower or hooked up the new electronics. Plus tower climbers make practically nothing for a dangerous job and tend to be outside contract workers way down the food chain. Work for someone who works for someone who works for the main contractor who is paid by Sprint.
Now those doing the electronic parts of it probably get paid ok but as said most employees being axed probably do not have that experience level.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to Simba7

No but they'd have more customers to their portfolio.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to nonymous
I agree. He's moving on to the next phase.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
said by rit56:

He's moving on to the next phase.

Land of the Rising SON

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SteelerRaw
Verizon is aiming for a 6 year return to re-collect those profits through across the board rate hikes (wired as well as wireless)... in collusion with other service providers. So what if Sprint doesn't join the party now in jacking up rates like everyone else.. they won't be around when the Softbank (Japanese) investors start digging into Sprint's books to find out where their billions went and why no profit is returning to them...

Keep screwing up Sprint.. and you won't be around by 2018

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
said by tmc8080:

Verizon is aiming for a 6 year return to re-collect those profits through across the board rate hikes (wired as well as wireless)... in collusion with other service providers. So what if Sprint doesn't join the party now in jacking up rates like everyone else.. they won't be around when the Softbank (Japanese) investors start digging into Sprint's books to find out where their billions went and why no profit is returning to them...

Keep screwing up Sprint.. and you won't be around by 2018

Part of reason for no profits is the investment in network vision. Yes i know too little too late. promises promises.
I think there is more momentum than we are seeing. The first round of NV will complete this year. The same way Son fired all the marketing people he is handling NV. Just can not mass fire contractors as not that many to go around. Probably still using some tactics to get them finishing the work. In Phoenix I am seeing more and more coverage holes filled in weekly. Even some smaller towns are feeling the love.
The merger is still new but Son is finally taking charge. Didnt come in and jsut steam roll everything. But now that he sees the issues no more Mr. Nice. I do not think you would wan to be on his bad side.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to battleop

Sounds about right. And in Sprint's case there are a fair number of front-line employees that should probably go. Particularly when non-corporate retailers seem to be better at their jobs.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

AT&T + T-Mobile died for the same reason.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ

Sprint also has a backbone.

Nothing huge and fancy like other but it does have a backbone. I wonder if they may try to leverage that with larger business accounts. I think Son may take it to more of an internet company than just a cell phone company. Cell phones and a cell connection is just the way you get the data. I think Sprint will eventually try and be more than just cell phones.
They may even go into the software cloud side of things. Or one of Softbank companies will.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to iansltx

These employees could also be the Clear brand employees up in Washington. Why need the American workers when Sprint sources most of their staff to other call center companies in other countries.

iansltx

Austin, TX
The last several times I've called Sprint I've gotten someone in the US or maybe Canada...

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to IowaCowboy

Would never happen. Sprint would be picked up by someone else and that person could be TracFone's Carlos Sims His companies already focus greatly on the Sprint network and he has the cash.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to tmc8080
Totally agree, when being an MVNO of their network.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to nonymous

Re: Sprint also has a backbone.

Sprint tired that before years ago with their Direct Internet service; people loved it. And businesses as well. Sprint killed that network though with little notice. Sprint needs to move into a nitch that they can make work for them. And being a cell phone company isn't really working when they're still loosing boat loads of cash with a network that should have been complete by now if they kept going with Xhom instead of selling it off to Clear only to become an MVNO and then to build another network. And the little things like Wifi calling is nothing since its been done by others and has been done for years. Sprint has a lot o catching up to do if they plan on staying in the business past 2018-2019. It's a ways away but its going to get here very quickly.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
We just joined sprint last year. Did not have an unlimited data plan grandfaather from verizon so left them,
Now since we have not waited for the new improved network for many many years like others the new 4g is phoenix metro is great. Only real problem for whatever reason our house in Glendale has poor reception. like every antenna is pointed away from us and between several bad ones farther away. At least texting works at the house so no issues there. Then if one of us calls home we call the landline. No biggie even on 1500 plan would never use it up plus free cell call and nights etc. might as well be unlimited.
But my wife mentioned the other day watching Netflix at lunch at her work sometimes. Didnt even know she did but she has gotten to like her smart phone, Asked if any buffering. No even when it was 3g and now it is 4g. Even she noticed the new icon. So the network has issues and gaps still but all in all is improving. If my wife happily watched netflix at lunch all is good with the world.
I know we still use not that much data. So a smaller Verizon plan would be ok. Still i know my wife and she would worry if she was going over that month constantly and checking even if no where near close. Then is our Verizon data plan too big for us and we downsize or do we need bigger. Unlimited Sprint just use it when want and not use i when not wanted. So now if it is 15 minutes of netflix a few times a week or gets stuck say at the doctors waiting for an hour she doesnt have to think in terms of how much she has used. or my son downloading and running apps if bored in car or on trips. The interstates seem to be lighting up. net here yet but I have sources saying they are being worked on.
Just if Sprint would aim an antenna our way at home. Though when 800 hits that should take care of calling.
There will come a day when I turn on my cell I can let people see the Sprint logo starting up.

mediaguy
Politically Incorrect
Premium
join:2014-01-22
Guitar Town

1 recommendation

And this is yet ANOTHER example of why...

Sprint should NOT be allowed to buyout / merge with T-Mobile. I just switched my entire family from Sprint to T-Mo and the difference is amazing. Much better customer service, much better coverage (at least in my area), better phones (that could just be because I went with Nokia / Windows Phones - previously had Motorola & LG / Android phones), and BLAZING faster data speeds. I had been a Sprint customer since the Nextel days (still miss the crystal clear IDEN network), but Sprint quickly destroyed the quality AND customer service Nextel was known for, they've botched their network 'upgrades' so many times I've lost count, and the customer service has become a joke. I can only hope Deutsche Telecom walks away with a few more million in "breakup" fees and Legere continues to give the big finger to the rest of the wireless industry.

*climbs down from soapbox*

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

Would never happen. Sprint would be picked up by someone else and that person could be TracFone's Carlos Sims His companies already focus greatly on the Sprint network and he has the cash.

He didn't put in a bid this time only Dish. Then even if he was propping up Dish he still backed out.
Carlos Slim is happy where he is. Plus I doubt he really wants government down his back buying an American cell company. He makes good money off MVNOs aimed towards the hispanic, south American etc. market. He has a really good niche that pays well with less government oversight.
Sort of like Son from articles I have read doesnt fit in with Japanese business practices and is not one of them. Carlos Slim is not an American businessman. Yet he is picking up really good scraps for not tons of investment. Then with less government oversight. Mexico runs on corruption. Not that the US does not have a good old boy network but no where near as corrupt on as many levels as mexico. I doubt Slim wants full disclosure.

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

Rio Rancho

I bet the Rio Rancho call center will the first to go. Rio Rancho, NM is losing jobs at a fierce pace and no hope in locating new jobs. New Mexico is still in a recession and jobs are scarce.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to mediaguy

Re: And this is yet ANOTHER example of why...

Exactly. Sprint is great at taking something good and ruining it. Please don't let them destroy T-Mobile.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Why would Verizon buy them? They're getting their customers for free anyway. Sprint is bleeding customers so bad right now.