spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-27 18:18:02: Sprint today announced that the company has deployed their LTE network to another 40 new markets, bringing their LTE market grand total to 340 deployed markets. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL

Obligatory

"Sprint doesn't have as much coverage as Verizon" comment

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
Yeah, neither does ATT or Tmobile. At least Sprint has passed up Tmobile and continues to grow LTE every month. Tmobile will have to wait to get 700Mhz spectrum to grow more broadly. Unfortunately on Sprint, you need a newer 'Spark' phone to get full coverage.

Many hate this map because it's just reported by users and not 100% accurate but it does give an _indication_ how quickly Sprint LTE is growing. But I wouldn't recommend Sprint until they get 800Mhz LTE in your area.

»sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprin···10sprint

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
Spark gives you faster speeds, doesn't give you more coverage.

delusion ftl

@tmodns.net
reply to xenophon
Are you implying t-mo is not continuing aws lte deployment? If so, you are wrong.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

Many hate this map because it's just reported by users and not 100% accurate

How much more accurate can you get by having users out in the field literally connected to LTE and mapping it themselves with the device that is connected to LTE? That is more accurate than even the sometimes quite generous carrier maps.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

ericthered26

join:2011-09-29
Hamilton, OH
reply to toby
Well, since spark includes LTE on 800mhz, and 800mhz is known for better signal propagation vs 1.9ghz.... it actually does give you more coverage.

Also, 800mhz voice is already happening for very large parts of the sprint network.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to xenophon
That isn't true at all. T-mobile LTE coverage is MUCH better than Sprint. I've had both, so I'm going by experience rather than some chart. In fact if you live in a bigger city, chances are you'll get pitifully slow data rates on Sprint that are best compared on the scale of dialup, whereas tmobile is MUCH faster.

Flummoxed
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Saint Peters, MO
reply to chris92
I wish they would upgrade their dang speed on the towers around me. St Louis area has had LTE for a while now. After they finally announced our area as official I was hoping they would bump the speeds up. Of the speed tests I've done, highest I get is around 5mbit and its "choppy". On my drive to vacation last summer I would pass through towns with speeds at 30mbit down.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

That isn't true at all. T-mobile LTE coverage is MUCH better than Sprint. I've had both, so I'm going by experience rather than some chart. In fact if you live in a bigger city, chances are you'll get pitifully slow data rates on Sprint that are best compared on the scale of dialup, whereas tmobile is MUCH faster.

..and how long ago did you have sprint service? It is changing more or less monthly if not weekly. What you had a year ago isnt even close to the same now.
--

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to ericthered26
Bingo. 800Mhz coverage is more important for now than more speed than you need.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to swintec
I think the issue is that some phones have crappy GPS fix issues. Namely the Galaxy Nexus. Also, there are areas where carriers have coverage that no Sensorly users live in/work in/travel through, so LTE coverage gets underrepresented in those areas.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to delusion ftl
T-Mobile will basically stop LTE deployment as soon as they cover all their towers that have enhanced backhaul running to them. Backhaul that was installed when T-Mobile did their HSPA+ upgrade a few years back.

I'm not saying that T-Mobile LTE isn't fast. It is. But they aren't upgrading their entire footprint to LTE. Sprint, save 100 sites or so, is, with 800MHz in most locations. So Sprint will surpass T-Mobile's coverage probably before the two companies merge.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to swintec
I had it for a lil over a year and would say my experience is the same. My brother and his wife had sprint over 5yrs and had crappy signal and lte speeds practically everywhere they went. They recently jumped ship to tmobile and the first thing they said, "Holy shit I have signal and lte speed is great!" Sprint just cant compare.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to iansltx
That's a big "IF" they will merge.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

Yeah, neither does ATT or Tmobile. At least Sprint has passed up Tmobile and continues to grow LTE every month. Tmobile will have to wait to get 700Mhz spectrum to grow more broadly. Unfortunately on Sprint, you need a newer 'Spark' phone to get full coverage.

Many hate this map because it's just reported by users and not 100% accurate but it does give an _indication_ how quickly Sprint LTE is growing. But I wouldn't recommend Sprint until they get 800Mhz LTE in your area.

»sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprin···10sprint

It's not even close man. I'm sitting in a spot that has 1 bar-ish of Sprint coverage and sensorly stops about a mile away.
--

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Maybe you should contribute to the map.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

spark?

So spark was just deployed in Eugene/Springfield? Or is this just LTE..

kmcmurtrie

join:2006-04-18
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to swintec

Re: Obligatory

I had Sprint until a few months ago in California. They lit up the signal bars but calls and data so rarely worked that I payed the ETF to free myself from a phone that did little more than take pictures. All the other carriers have better functional coverage in California.

grydlok

join:2004-01-06
Richmond, VA
reply to swintec
because I know for a fact it isn't own yet those maps says otherwise in RVA. Most of it is people driving threw claiming they gotten LTE service.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by grydlok:

because I know for a fact it isn't own yet those maps says otherwise in RVA. Most of it is people driving threw claiming they gotten LTE service.

lol what? do you even know how sensorly works? you cant just spoof your results and say you have LTE when and where you want. The coverage shown on sensorly lines up perfect with all towers updated and the area they would cover.
--

rwong48

join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA
reply to iansltx
I drove around with Sensorly for an entire year. I feel like the maps are exaggerated. I did a vast majority of the mapping in the South Bay Area and I never kept coverage between towers / always had toggle LTE to force hopping onto a tower. I always dragged the graphs past the realistic coverage point, because the phone would take some seconds to realize that LTE was no longer in reach.

I did have a Galaxy Nexus, the radio did suck, but the GPS was completely fine. I saw more or less the same reception issues with two S3s.

I also bugged my Galaxy Nexus one time when I set it to LTE only - it kept a "strong" signal despite having no LTE connectivity - and I mapped some corner of the town with false strong signal. It's still there and it will never go away. Once again, not a GPS issue.

I kept both Sprint and T-Mobile for about 6 months before switching over. T-Mobile LTE launch day was a day that I will never forget. Strong connectivity everywhere between towers.. 25-50Mbps everywhere. Most of the T-Mobile LTE Sensorly mapping in the South Bay is from me as well.

Dwayne

@comcastbusiness.net

Detroit

Where is Detroit? Does Sprint hate the Detroit area????

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

What you had a year ago isnt even close to the same now.

Uhh,yes it is. Same sloooow, dialup speeds. Yessir, nothing has changed.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state

Marion, Ohio is a market?

Sprint is a bad joke. Calls still break up and drop in our metro. Glad I left.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

Almost ready here

Received a text message the other day from Sprint saying out new network is being worked on and we should start seeing the benefits of that within a month. So next announcement should include Buffalo as more and more LTE is popping up here.

Sprint LTE is pretty fast and stable here at work in a rural town of under 3,000.

This is from a few weeks ago. First time I broke 30Mb down, but the upstream is lower then usual and the ping is high. Earlier today I checked, ping is back to normal, upload is normal, downstream took a hit, but still faster then Verizon was.

For phone use I don't need a data connection that breaks any speed records. Just give me a stable ~20Mb/10Mb connection with relatively low latency that I can use 12-15GB per month on and I'll be happy.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX

e-Peen

Anything over 5Mbps on a cellular device is only good for measuring your e-penis. Capacity is the useful metric, and that's what Sprint needs to work on. They need to quickly roll out the LTE 800 (band 26) in non-IBEZ markets so there's an additional LTE carrier available to offload the tri-band devices to improve the LTE 1900 (band 25) speeds for the rest of the users. LTE 2500/2600 (band 41) will further improve this with its higher capacity for the tri-band users, while having bands 25 and 26 available for offloading and signal penetration.

It's a great network design, but they really need to put some pressure on the vendors to speed up the rollouts. In the areas where upgraded backhaul is all that's stopping them from lighting up LTE they need to look at temporary backhaul solutions, if not just replace the contracted vendor altogether.
--
Ali
Check Point Certified Security Expert

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

Maybe you should contribute to the map.

I would be glad to if they had an app for Windows Phone 8

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Almost Done

Click for full size
Almost Done in Cleveland I just got this Text From Sprint!

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I've gotten a similar message on my nTelos phone, while a couple relatives in the same area who have Sprint have got the same message as above! nTelos built their equipment on the nearest tower that was built just over a year ago. Could Sprint be doing an overbuild with 800Mhz LTE?

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
AT&T is the other carrier that recently added to the tower as well. The tower is just a mile or less away (i can look down the road out of the backyard and see it!) and the thing I find odd is that the Sprint & nTelos map show good coverage all the way up to another mile up the road from here. However, AT&T's map shows our location not receiving much signal at all... that can't be very accurate! We should be able to pick up a good signal here along with LTE from them as well.