spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-28 09:54:23: For all of his disruptive and revolutionary rhetoric in recent weeks, T-Mobile CEO John Legere appears to be following the Deutsche Telekom party line when it comes to a possible Sprint acquisition of T-Mobile. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

SrsBsns

join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK

Makes sense

John is obviously interviewing for CEO of a combined TMO and Sprint. Masayoshi Son was John Legere's old boss at a previous company.

The question on my mind is would the finial combined company be GSM or CDMA based? Sprint just spent a ton of money upgrading.

anonome

@verizon.net

"Rebellious spirit"?

Must. Stay. Magenta! (no ugly yellow, please)

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to SrsBsns

Re: Makes sense

said by SrsBsns:

The question on my mind is would the finial combined company be GSM or CDMA based? Sprint just spent a ton of money upgrading.

Nobody really cares about the tech. What you should say would the new company have SIM cards for use on any phone.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

T-Mobile CEO Legere: Sprint Merger Would Help Fight Duopoly

I view this as a disaster. For the first time in a year, after dealing with Sprint's crap through most of 2013, I know what it's like with T-Mobile to have a reliable working wireless connection again on my laptop. And now Sprint's big-footing its way right back into my life via T-Mobile. It sucks the big one. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to SrsBsns

They will probably merge eventually for better or worse, just depends on finding right timing of the Feds mood. If Dish or someone else doesn't step up for TMO, Sprint is likely at some point.

Both are heading to LTE and VoLTE so it doesn't matter. Most new phones can do CDMA/GSM/LTE in same chipset, which was not the case with iDen.

Trogdor9000

join:2005-07-12
Amelia, OH
reply to nonymous
I think they would keep CDMA around for legacy for a bit but since LTE is a GSM approved tech, it would eventually be all GSM. At least thats what I hope would happen if this merger happened. Plus phones like the Nexus 5 could instantly take advantage of both Sprint's and T-Mobile's network

SrsBsns

join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

Most new phones can do CDMA/GSM/LTE in same chipset, which was not the case with iDen.

Really? I'm only aware of the Nexus 5 having CDMA and LTE on the same handset. As for VoLTE this is a long way off because companies like TMO wouldnt have any service outside of metros because there no fiber to any of the towers.

xenophon

I meant to say future phones "could", not most current ones.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

I don't see it...

Any merger between T-mobile and Sprint would incur huge amounts of additional debt, which would have to be paid back.

Customers would get the short end of stick.

Why offer low cost, high value plans, when you can just form a silent alliance with AT&T, Verizon to keep prices sky high?

Just say "NO" to mergers, and the debt which comes with them.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

Merge and I drop T-Mobile

I had enough issues with Sprint when they took over Nextel. Constant solicitation calls about buying a PC card for my (nonexistent) laptop on the cell phone.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

What will happen (if this is approved)

T-Mobiles leadership will replace Sprints, Legere keeps his job
Sprint brand name is retired
Deutsche Telekom keeps minority share

Network will be rapidly transitioned to LTE just like MetroPCMs. The greatest pain will be forcing new phones on people who were on Sprint. I cant imagine they would be very happy...then again they get access to a superior network afterward.

Why keep the GSM technology?
-Its an open technology, makes it easy to poach customers from AT&T
-International Roaming for free is a big selling point for a carrier, I am sure they can negotiate this with DT post-sale.
-CDMA is stupid. A technology barely used around the world. VZ and Sprint used it to eliminate openness and lock down users in a prison. Phones need more radios to go overseas.

In the end though, it will all be LTE.

Mayoshi better not replace GSM with CDMA.

I will admit, I am terrified about what is going to happen. We love our low cell bill.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

A thought

Here's something that occurred to me. Since Softbank owns Sprint now, and since we know that Softbank, as owner, is certainly driving this process, could this be not so much a takeover of T-Mobile by Sprint as a buyout of T-Mobile by softbank and a merger of T-Mobile and Sprint. What I mean is, the assumption has been that Sprint takes over T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is absorbed, but I wonder if this is a way for Softbank to clear out all the dead wood at Sprint and replace it with resources from T-Mobile. It's no secret that Sprint's management has been less than effective at turning the company around, a fact that Softbank is aware of, I'm sure. This may be an opportunity for the new owners to clean house, a fact Mr. Legere may be aware of.

I still don't like the idea at all, but I wonder if there's more going on here than meets the eye.

xenophon

reply to Zenit

Re: What will happen (if this is approved)

Sprint name could change but Tmobile brand is owned buy DT in other countries. TMO name would go away in US for sure.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

Good and Bad

As much as I'm anathema to this merger. I do see the benefits of such. I just wish that it was Tmo taking over Sprint and not the other way around. Having Legere previously working for Son does give me hope. If Son is one thing, he is aggressive. That could bode well for both Tmo and Sprint in a merger. I could see him taking most of what Legere has done at Tmo and instituting it with the combined company. Yes you might take a hit short term, but if you are going to fight the big duopoly you need that kind of firepower. I'll keep my powder dry in the meantime just in case.

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Zenit

I think that you're spot on about the transition to LTE. As for CDMA/GSM goes, there isn't much reason to do anything. Let everything move to LTE and gradually retire those two technologies. Once VoLTE happens on a widespread basis, there's no need to keep CDMA or GSM in the handsets except for roaming, and you can bet that GSM/HSPA will win out in that battle. AT&T is going to retire GSM at the beginning of 2017, only three years away. No reason T-Mobile can't do the same, and CDMA could also go away in a similar fashion.

xenophon

reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: A thought

The deal is in the works between DT and Softbank, not Sprint and TMO USA. The mgmt shakeup will occur later, they are likely not thinking about it as part of deal.

Zenit

Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to xenophon

If DT keeps minority share, the name could stay. For example, the DT venture in Hungary had financial issues, so they reduced the share of ownership greatly. They got to keep the T-Mobile name even though the company was now "Magayar Hungary Telecom"

xenophon

reply to mech1164

Re: Good and Bad

However Hesse from Sprint also buddies with Son long before deal.

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to xenophon

Who would fill what positions probably isn't settled, but I'll bet that Softbank knows which company would be the lead partner post-merger. Whether they've shared their vision with DT is likely dependent on what role, if any, DT would have post-merger.

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to tkdslr

Re: I don't see it...

said by tkdslr:

Why offer low cost, high value plans, when you can just form a silent alliance with AT&T, Verizon to keep prices sky high?

Because Sprint, T-Mobile, or even a combined company doesn't have the coverage that Verizon and AT&T have. The only way to compete is on price. If they raise prices to match the big guys, they'll get crushed.

Galaxys4

@comcast.net
reply to SrsBsns

said by SrsBsns:

said by xenophon:

Most new phones can do CDMA/GSM/LTE in same chipset, which was not the case with iDen.

Really? I'm only aware of the Nexus 5 having CDMA and LTE on the same handset. As for VoLTE this is a long way off because companies like TMO wouldnt have any service outside of metros because there no fiber to any of the towers.

Verizon Galaxy s4 also supports all 3:

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - (2G) GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 (2G) CDMA 850 / 1900 - (3G) CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - (4G) LTE 700 MHz Class 13

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to SrsBsns
said by SrsBsns:

said by xenophon:

Sprint has fiber or microwave to all sites when NV complete. Ok almost all there will be a few stragglers in Canyons.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ
reply to xenophon

Re: Good and Bad

True as that is I could see both of them there then. As it seems Son wants to clean house at Sprint. What better time then to bring in Tmo and get the best they have to replace the @#$^%&***()^ wrong people at Sprint.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to tkdslr

Re: I don't see it...

said by tkdslr:

Any merger between T-mobile and Sprint would incur huge amounts of additional debt, which would have to be paid back.

It is doable. Son is getting good financing from Japan. Better now as interest rates are still at a bottom. If wait for the unknown and maybe much higher interest rates later.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

there's no need to keep CDMA or GSM in the handsets except for roaming, and you can bet that GSM/HSPA will win out in that battle.

Why? CDMA for roaming works quite well for distance. Think Verizon wireless. As said before GSM is liked because of SIM cards nothing to do with the base technology beyond that.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Who would fill what positions probably isn't settled, but I'll bet that Softbank knows which company would be the lead partner post-merger. Whether they've shared their vision with DT is likely dependent on what role, if any, DT would have post-merger.

Beyond the first part of NV Sprint has an upgrade path to Volte. The fiber and microwave being put in now has specs for later for easier upgrade to higher backhaul bandwidth.
Also the electronics had an easier Volte upgrade path.

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to nonymous

Yes, but CDMA isn't used for roaming in most of the world; GSM is. So that only leaves roaming on U.S. carriers, and if CDMA is on the way out, then it makes more sense to prefer GSM/HSPA for roaming. And, even with U.S. roaming, assuming the new company chose to allow it, they could just as easily roam on AT&T as Verizon.

Zenit

Purcellville, VA
reply to nonymous
CDMA will do you nothing when you step outside of the USA/North America

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to nonymous

I'm talking about which management team will be in charge. I have a feeling that Softbank has already started thinking about that.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to SrsBsns

said by SrsBsns:

Really? I'm only aware of the Nexus 5 having CDMA and LTE on the same handset.

And the Samsung Galaxy, Moto X, the iPhone, and probably a few that I'm neglecting. Hell, every Verizon smartphone has CDMA and LTE, though I assume you meant to say CDMA + LTE + GSM, which is included on the three I mentioned. Plus HSDPA and WCDMA for international roaming.

said by SrsBsns:

As for VoLTE this is a long way off because companies like TMO wouldnt have any service outside of metros because there no fiber to any of the towers.

VoLTE can work with handoffs to the older technology, though not all carriers are going to implement such handoffs. Verizon is going a pure VoLTE route, according to their public statements anyway. Handoffs are certainly feasible though.