spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-29 17:51:26: Reuters was the first to report today that Google is preparing to cut their losses with their $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola in 2011, and will soon sell Motorola Mobility and "certain patents" to Lenovo for around $3 billion. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

6 recommendations

Google fiber

Imagine if they had put that 12 billion and the 3 billion they spent on nest into google fiber. How many cities could they cover with 15 billion? Jesus Page absolutely sucks at business.

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

Motorola, Nexus, etc...

I think Google's mistake was differentiating their brands too much. They have great brand recognition in the Nexus lineup, but Motorola hasn't made a cool phone since the Razr. Granted that, yes, Nexus phones where made by other companies in cooperation with Google, but Google should've done more to incorporate Motorola to achieve similar brand recognition.

antonio010

join:2002-11-24
The last Motorola phone I had was the i930. Haven't seen anything appealing since.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

Nest

Karl, you can start writing the publication for the Nest sale to be published in 3 years.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to antonio010

Re: Motorola, Nexus, etc...

said by antonio010:

The last Motorola phone I had was the i930. Haven't seen anything appealing since.

I agree. Motorola rocked the Nextel lineup. Otherwise, their smartphones just don't look that decent. HTC on the other hand...

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Acuity
Couldn't have said it better myself. Google's phone IS the Nexus line. That's what everyone was expecting. I admit, Google "damaged" the Android name for me with the Moto X. While I was looking forward to getting one on Sprint, it came out too expensive and with too many "meh" reviews about the initial quality of the performance to demand that price.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Sad fortunes (Motorola)

for a company who has been around for decades.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to AVonGauss

Re: Nest

said by AVonGauss:

Karl, you can start writing the publication for the Nest sale to be published in 3 years.

LMAO!!

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to DaSneaky1D

I am extremely happy with my Moto X. Nexus isn't an option for Verizon users, and frankly the word comes with negative connotations for many of us after the piece-of-shit that was the Galaxy Nexus. Worst phone I've ever owed, and I've had phones going back to the AMPS model StarTAC.

This is very distressing news if true, if for no other reason than Google on-shoring the assembly of the X. I'm sure we can kiss that goodbye if Lenovo buys them.

*sigh*, thanks for nothing Google.

Edit: On Google's official blog, so I guess that's that.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to Jim_in_VA

Re: Sad fortunes (Motorola)

Motorola used to charge $50 for the software and cable for their phones. I had a RISR and finally used BitPim to get my ringtones on. Other companies either had a lower charge or none at all. Wouldn't touch a Motorola phone for any money now.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to WiFiguru

said by WiFiguru:

Otherwise, their smartphones just don't look that decent.

That's a matter of opinion, but even if I concede the point, who gives a shit how they look? Motorola builds awesome radios, find me a better phone (smart or dumb) at holding signals in weak areas. You can't. It sure isn't Samsung. Nokia compared favorably, back in the day, but they aren't too relevant these days.

Maybe Lenovo will do right by them. They kept the quality of the ThinkPad line intact, or at least they did as of a few years ago when I purchased my last ThinkPad. Here's hoping.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to Jim_in_VA

Ditto

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sonicmerlin

Re: Google fiber

said by sonicmerlin:

Jesus Page absolutely sucks at business.

And you wonder why people don't see google fiber as a long term effort?
I think you nailed it in one try.

BTW His name isn't really Jesus

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

"$12.5 billion is a lot of money."

August 2011: Apple CFO says Google spent 'a lot of money' on Motorola

"Peter Oppenheimer took part this week in a conference call hosted by investment firm Gleacher & Company. When asked about Google's announcement on Monday that it would acquire Motorola, the Apple senior vice president reportedly commented on the sale price by saying: "$12.5 billion is a lot of money.""

»appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/···motorola
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

1 recommendation

reply to bcltoys

Google is not taking the loss you think they are because they have not said what patents they are keeping or selling. My money is on the fact that there keeping the patents and licencing them to leveno

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Seriously?

They're surprised that the devices such as Moto X didn't do so well? Well, when you have higher end phones with larger screens and better specs, what did they really expect?? I'm not surprised at all that the X didn't do so well. At best its a mid range device and its stuck with the Motorola name. Now, if they had turned the division into their Nexus line, it might have went somewhere as long as they upped the specs as well.

Dr Demento
I Vant Blud

join:2002-01-02
Denville, NJ
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks See Profile
Maybe Lenovo will do right by them. They kept the quality of the ThinkPad line intact, or at least they did as of a few years ago when I purchased my last ThinkPad. Here's hoping.

What I'm wondering is if Google and Lenovo can keep an agreement to give Motorola front row seats to the latest Android updates? It is a major point that distinguishes Motorola from other smartphone brands sans Nexus line. Don't get me wrong Lenovo is far from the worst in holding back Android updates (Here's looking at you Samsung) but will they have the muscle to even get VZW to continue cooperating?

LarrysBro

@tnw.com
reply to tshirt

Larry, his name is Larry. Geeze

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

2 recommendations

Patents Patents Patents

I think we are missing the main point. Google's partners that were selling Android were getting sued because they used Android. Google purchased Motorola and got a lot of Patents. They tried to sue apple and the courts said they couldn't use Motorola's patents. So now they keep the patents and sell Motorola, so now they can use the patents, solely Google. On top of that Samsung and Lenovo now share the patent portfolio thus Google helping out the partners who sell Android devices.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

Take a hint, Google

I absolutely LOVE my Moto X phone.

I absolutely HATE the Google bloatware that came with it and that I cannot uninstall.

Dr Demento
I Vant Blud

Denville, NJ
reply to Steve B

Re: Seriously?

Price isn't so horrible if bought subsidized or you took advantage of the Cyber Monday and current sale. It's how Google's own, subsidized like a printer to sell you the ink, Nexus and Google Play line has distorted how people view the price of off-contract phones for better or worse. This combined with Google's refusal to lift their degrees of separation from Motorola to give it the necessary leg up price wise like it does for Google Play edition phones to help the X and G succeed.

The X8 architecture offers enough oomph to compete with quad core Qualcoms while still maintain efficiency in battery. The choice of screen also plays into efficiency. It seems that it was Page's plan all along to acquire Moto Mobility for the parents and a little publicity before selling it off before they made too much of a lose to scare shareholders. What a waste of talent.

eco
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to GLIMMER

Did you read the article? The patents have basically been worthless for Google. A lot of them have simply been invalidated outright when they were in court.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

Google....

will make that 12.5 billion back quick enuff.... Nothing to worry about. Focus on the Nexus line, let Motorola grow worldwide now, everyone wins...

Dr Demento
I Vant Blud

Denville, NJ
Except for those who desired a decent phone available to most carriers with fair options for off contract and quality service. Oh well, hopefully the market will provide another. Ubuntu maybe?

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

Imagine if they had put that 12 billion and the 3 billion they spent on nest into google fiber. How many cities could they cover with 15 billion? Jesus Page absolutely sucks at business.

LOL.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Introducing Lenovo ThinkPhone

Well, looks like the ThinkPhone will be a reality in the coming years. Motorola gets a rich parent that's into hardware now...

My Motorola Atrix has been a good phone, even though Moto killed it by never updating it past 2.3.7 like they promised to. Promised 4.0.1, never happened. The Cyanogenmod builds past 2.3.7 are terribly glitchy and eat battery like no tomorrow. However, the 2.3.7 MROM build gave the device a 2 day battery life. The antenna in this phone is leaps and bounds better than the one that was in my iPhone 4.

This could be interesting in the end, given that Lenovo has experience making decent phones primarily for the asian market. The american toehold has been bought.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

So you think if someone lays down Fiber, people will just buy it up. Verizon found out the hard way, people want High Speed Broadband but they don't care if it's Fiber as long as it's Cheap! Buying Motorola was a mistake, but I think their Fiber strategy is sound. A Company can't just lay Fiber anywhere and expect people to buy it up, there has to be a commitment on both sides and then you lay out a solid plan for deployment.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
Verizon has been making quite a tidy profit with FIOS despite pricing it exorbitantly high. Their ARPU is much, much higher than their DSL subs as well.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Dr Demento

It's worth a shot. And Google selling Moto to Lenovo means that Lenovo won't try to come in and compete somehow with its own US handset lineup. Stronger device vendors mean that carriers may have to play ball on getting updates pushed through.

I have the Moto X, albeit as a secondary phone (Nexus 5 is my primary...the X is on Republic Wireless). Very solid phone, and it's now available for $329. If this is what we'll keep seeing from Lenovo, I'm all for it.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to DaSneaky1D
I like my X. And while I agree that Moto is best held by someone other than Google, I wouldn't count the out as a candidate for future Nexus devices, as long as the Nexus line sticks around.