spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-30 12:22:45: The FCC today voted unanimously to begin conducting voluntary trials to ensure a relatively smooth and reasonable transition away from the PSTN and copper networks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

Be Not Afraid

This "trial" is a great opportunity / platform to make the case against wired-abandonment.

Switching to an IP-based system does not have to imply wireless.

The real question that needs to be addressed - is whether the public is willing to pay the freight to maintain a wired network.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

Reliability is important

I'm concerned about the reliability of wireless replacements. Wired systems had accountability and, I believe, mandated availability requirements. Wireless is like the wild west. Hope your tower has a functioning generator, enough gas to power it, and someone to refill the gas tank for outages lasting an extended period of time. Not the case? Well good luck complaining about it.

The FCC needs to take a massive role in making any transition work for the people, else it is simply a cash grab for telco to abandon the consumer wireline market for wireless.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

7 recommendations

Then they can pay for the conversion of customer equipment

Fine, they can pay to convert my alarm system to wireless because I cannot afford to transition it. Verizon is a company sitting on millions of dollars that can afford to convert every last customer line to FiOS, I cannot afford needed car repairs (leaking transmission that I just check the fluid and add as needed and front end work) and I need an alarm system due to my close proximity to a high crime public housing complex.

I can afford to pay my monthly bills but Verizon is still making profit off of landlines and would make even more if they'd convert the rest of their footprint to FiOS. One poster on here recently said the current CEO is more concerned about short term profit instead of long term returns like his predecessor.

Do you think I'm going to trust an alarm panel that has a 24 hour UL rated battery backup to some untested battery in a cable EMTA that dies a few hours after losing power, I don't think so and I don't think you would either.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Expand your moderator at work

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Then they can pay for the conversion of customer equipment

One company- ADT. Stop forcing companies to maintain networks that are outdated and not worth updating. And your claim with lottery system using dial-up modems- not the case anymore as they use HughsNet

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

reply to elray

Re: Be Not Afraid

said by elray:

This "trial" is a great opportunity / platform to make the case against wired-abandonment.

Switching to an IP-based system does not have to imply wireless.

The real question that needs to be addressed - is whether the public is willing to pay the freight to maintain a wired network.

Except it won't. The reports will be glowing and the companies will move as quickly to kill wire before someone changes their mind.

I agree that the IP-based system should not imply wireless as VOIP works fine on wired lines. But as the article noted, it is being used as the vehicle to kill off copper. That too is not necessarily bad IF it was being replaced with fiber, which it is not except in those places that have FiOS.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

nudge nudge nudge

good bye to corporate run copper...

and hello to federally ran fiberoptic....
*sigh*

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to TBBroadband

Hughsnet is a sorry excuse for replacement of DSL.. or even high speed internet access.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
reply to n2jtx

While it doesn't mean wireless, the big carriers sure see it that way.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to n2jtx

Verizon may investigate rolling out FiOS in more places if regulatory changes no longer require them to maintain copper in areas where FiOS has been deployed. The cost savings FiOS gives Verizon from lower maintenance and fewer service calls cannot be taken advantage of as long as they are required to also maintain copper.

Are they really going to give up Baltimore, Boston, and other areas? It seems unlikely. Switching large metropolitan areas to LTE is not feasible.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to elray

We have paid the freight for decades and continue to do so every year.

3 Things need to happen
1.) A decision to have 1 nationwide fiber network to every home and business that is shared by all whom want to provide service to those consumers. Any place that has electric, phone/cable or gas ran to it is perfectly capable of getting a fiber line to it.
2.) A decision in whom (or plural) will be responsible for maintaining it (with oversight) and providing connectivity to those competing to use it.
3.) A decision in how to consolidate and "compensate" the current providers for their current fiber that will become connected to it. I personally would say they get book value and if it is off their books already (expensed off against revenue), they have already been paid in full by tax breaks.

Wireless can remain the 2nd rate "on the go" connection that it is now and will always be.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

In other news...

..your taxes pay for internet and telco profits!
--
Splat

Mr Guy

@charter.com

1 recommendation

The OP contridicts himself

quote:
While one side of the IP transition honestly involves the necessary and inevitable migration away from the PSTN and copper and toward IP-based technologies, AT&T and Verizon have used the transition as cover for a massive effort to strip consumer protections on millions of DSL lines they refuse to upgrade.
If migration away from copper is "necessary and inevitable" then why insist that at&t and Verizon upgrade lines? That's like insisting that at&t and Verizon MUST keep pay phones around because not everyone has a smartphone. You upgrade a line because you expect to have several DECADES of use out of it. Not "you upgrade these lines even though in less than 10 years they'll be useless".

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to morbo

Re: Reliability is important

Eventually Wireless will be just as good (maybe better) than the wired equivalent but that's going to be some time from now. Before it can get to that the reliability factor has to go up for things like reliable power, redundant links to the site, etc.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Skippy25

It is never going to happen.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TBBroadband

+1 +1 +1....
I HATE and I mean HATE it when a customer has ADT.

It's 2014, not 1994. ADT it's time to get with the program and solve YOUR problem not the other way around.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable

1 edit
reply to morbo

I'm with you why throw away a perfectly good system with back ups etc???? Half the wired phone bill is taxes any ways, take the taxes and fees off, leaving an in place good working system.

I don't get why the government is paying for poor people to have trac phones and at the same time is killing the wired phone system off especially with all the taxes and fees they put on your bill. I hope the paranoid hasn't gotten to the level that the government wants everyone on cell phone so they can freely spy on everyone unlike wiretap laws on wired phones.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to silbaco

Verizon does not want to deal with unions, which is another factor in all of this mess.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Fine, they can pay to convert my alarm system to wireless because I cannot afford to transition it.

They don't owe you a replacement alarm system, anymore than they owed OnStar customers with AMPS units a replacement when the FCC finally let them decommission AMPS.

Technology changes. Adapt or die.

said by IowaCowboy:

and I need an alarm system due to my close proximity to a high crime public housing complex.

Exercise your 2nd Amendment rights. The alarm system isn't going to magically get the police there in time to keep your ass alive if the worst happens. Nor is it going to get them there in time to save your property if someone breaks in while you're away. That's what insurance is for.

Residential security alarms are a joke. You might as well take the money out your pocket and set it on fire, at least that will provide a few BTUs and so reduce your heating bill.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit
reply to Mr Guy

Re: The OP contridicts himself

quote:
...why insist that at&t and Verizon upgrade lines?
Can you show me where the piece "insists" that AT&T and Verizon upgrade lines?

What it does insist is that the migration to an "IP age" is being used as cover for a move to hang up on a lot of in-use DSL lines, and there needs to be a conversation on what really will happen to those users and what to do about it.

And I do think the migration from copper to fiber is necessary and inevitable in some areas and over a significant amount of time, though I think the piece pretty clearly explains how that's not the same thing as gutting regs, pulling DSL, then just telling everybody wireless is good enough.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

What about the older folks ?

How will this affect older folks, besides negatively ? The ones who have the PERS alarms ("help, I've fallen) that use traditional landlines? And what about the oldsters who either aren't tech savvy with a cell phone or just flat out can't afford a cell phone ?

Poorly thought out, but - as I'm not in charge of the universe, they didn't ask me.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Skippy25

Pipe dream, stop claiming a national shared network is the solution. If it was MaBell would never have been broken up if one network was the solution.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Corehhi

Because that same USF money is also on everyone's cell phone bills now. And as some want one here- moved to the Internet too by regulating it. So your HSI can have $10 in taxes.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Cobra11M

Nobody said it was a replacement for high speed internet now did they. No, I said that HughesNet is used for lottery terminals so his claim can't be used that the lottery depends on dial-up connections.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

5 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

If you need a new car (leaking transmission and broken front-end is a sure sign of that), a home alarm system is an unneeded luxury.

Besides, remember that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I've told you this before, but you really need to stop relying on the nanny state (that has proven time and time again it can't protect us) and be responsible for your own safety and security.

Home alarm systems are pseudo-security for the weak and dependent.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to battleop

are you saying ADT is better or what?

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

Stop using logic reason with people! The only thing that matters is emotion and fear. Haven't you been paying attention lo these last fifteen-odd years? Advocating self-sufficiency and being responsible for one's own safety...sounds like terrorist talk to me!

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Karl Bode

Re: The OP contridicts himself

The claim can be made because this site promotes fiber over anything else regardless of anything else- and a Muni Fiber run on tax payer's money more than anything. The only way you will see anything besides wireless is if the ROI is there and the line sharing requirement is stripped completely and the FCC is put in their place and told they only regulate the phone system- NOT the Internet.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Furrever Fur

Re: What about the older folks ?

»www.adt.com/home-health/

We have wireless systems for that now.

»www.greatcall.com/FiveStar_urgent_response/

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1