dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-01-30 15:03:48: Last November we noted that Time Warner Cable, historically a bit sluggish when it comes to next-gen broadband upgrades, was considering a brand refresh named "Maxx" that would include significant speed and TV improvements. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
sharksfan3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA

sharksfan3

Premium Member

Stay away Charter....

stay far far away...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Re: Stay away Charter....

The only reason they're announcing this is to make themselves seem more valuable to get more for the takeover. Once Charter buys them these upgrades will be scrapped as TWC was the one who promised them and TWC will no longer exist.

/M

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Really

You've got to sign up for 300 down to get just 20 up.

That is so painfully one sided, I know the tech is one sided, but not by that ratio.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah

Re: Really

More upstream channels, more jitter, woo

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB

Premium Member

I hope they do it before 2015 rolls around. I think 50/5 package needs a bump.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

The 50/5 would become the new 300/20 tier according to the chart.
sharksfan3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA

sharksfan3 to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
The article has a table which indicates the 30/5 tier would be bumped to 200/20...

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Indeed. Wow. I'm on 30/5 right now. Can the third market for this be Dallas please?

Kckclc
@myvzw.com

Kckclc

Anon

3rd Market will be Kansas City not dallas because of google competition. U can take that to the bank.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Kckclc :

3rd Market will be Kansas City not dallas because of google competition. U can take that to the bank.

hmm I see a simultaneous launch in Dallas, Kansas City, and Austin TX due to Fios, Uverse, and Google.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

MeInDallas

How I feel after reading another "end of the year" announcement from TWC

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· hULhXf04

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

The Elephant

In the room of course are price points. There is a lot of denial here from TWC and all the other providers nationally but what TWC charges is way to expensive for TV service and I'm assuming in typical TWC fashion their Maxx service will be for people who are willing to pay through the nose for it similar to their SignatureHome service. They lose before they begin. Make it affordable for everyone not just for people willing to pay a premium. I would love those speeds but not for 200 a month. Keep it at 60 dollars.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: The Elephant

If they offered 300 Mbps for $60 per month, then it would mess up their entire pricing strategy. It would significantly devalue all their other tiers. Considering most people opt for the lowest priced tiers that meets their needs, they would suddenly not be making any money.

The only way it could really work effectively is if they eliminated all or nearly all other tiers. Similar to Google's approach.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

Re: The Elephant

This will be how they get around net neutrality. Better speeds but at a cost.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to silbaco

to silbaco
like how charter did it? I get to pick from a 30mbps tier, at 55 per month(before fees), or a 100mbps tier at 110 per month(before fees). Whats that, you want to move from the 30mbps tier to the 100mbps tier? give us $200 for "activating" your service.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Maxx

It is interesting that Kansas City is not mentioned as a city receiving Maxx. I would think that would be a priority market. Perhaps Google is not making as much of an impact as some believe.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

Re: Maxx

Or they see it as pointless to try since they can't get anywhere near 1000/1000.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: Maxx

Well there is that.
onthecake
join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

onthecake to TAZ

to TAZ
Even if they could get close to 1000/1000 what would their price be? The 100/5 package now costs at least $35-$40 more than Google's 1000/1000 package after you get done paying taxes and the super modem rental fee.

I dont seeing them competing in the KC market much after this year due to the majority of the KC rollout being complete and the neighboring cities starting their deployments.

tech4u_x86
@75.114.237.x

tech4u_x86 to TAZ

Anon

to TAZ
They will be able to get gigabit speeds after the next docsis upgrade to docsis 3.1 »www.lightreading.com/cab ··· d/695855
ncwred
join:2014-01-31
Austin, TX

ncwred to silbaco

to silbaco
Austin first. Kansas City is a tech backwater.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Your move

Your move At&t uHearse
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Re: Your move

Race to the bottom
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
Maybe they will finally roll out 75 Mbps. With a strong marketing campaign to convince users 75 Mbps and 300 Mbps are comparable.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

I will be happy if TWC start making fun of Att Uverse. Like comcast's commercial

vimeo.com/26651620
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

And then reality sets in

quote:
we'll set a high bar in our industry for differentiated exceptional customer service.
Autotranslation from BS detector: "Customer service is a cost center and we're going to set a record for the least amount of spending per subscriber. We know that not one of our subscribers ever said they signed up with us because of our customer service and in most markets we have no real competition, so we'd be fools to spend any more than the barest minimum necessary to keep the regulators off our sorry a--es."

FailOverflow
join:2011-02-23
united state

FailOverflow

Never gonna see this.

If TWC where to not get acquired, I'd imagine sometime around 30148 is when the northeast ohio division would see anything like this.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

Re: Never gonna see this.

Hey be happy you have it! I keep asking each week when they will offer internet to us and they keep telling me they will "get in touch" with me. I just wish they would either give up the territory or provide it...

richrockstar
join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

just another card in a deck of lies

this is surely a TWC PR reaction to losing 217,000 TV customers.

StrngStalkr

Anon

Re: just another card in a deck of lies

What most of you seem to fail to realize is even though their tv subscribers are going down, their internet subscribers are soaring. The latest generation doesn't want to watch TV on a schedule. they're pulling content off the internet through apps like Netflix and Crackle. There are so many apps out there right now that I have Downloaded to my TV and can watch whatever I want whenever I want it that I don't need cable TV anymore. Saves me money and I don't need a TV Guide anymore. use your heads, losing tv customers isn't a jab at TWC. They know where those subscribers are going. Their competitors numbers haven't gone up "217,000"...

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Re: just another card in a deck of lies

Well they added 44,000 broadband customers. I'm not sure one can call that "soaring." And voice growth is flat (they added like 1k users) which is where cable companies are going to feel the pinch next as people cut cable voice services to save money and go cell only.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

A feel good press release....

This announcement reeks of desperation.
The upstream on these packages alone shows you how limited the infrastructure is.
They really don't have much to work with.

•••••••

bigfatmoose
@uscc.net

bigfatmoose

Anon

This is garbage

Time Warner Cable has not even upgraded most of there areas to 100mbps. I am still in an area with a 4/1 bonded channels with a very slow upstream channel. This is bs reminds me what tmobile does they upgrade only key markets the rest are sol

richrockstar
join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

one more thing

TWC says "Maxx" cause it's the maxx you will ever see out of them, if you are lucky enough to even live in a launch market

NYC33
@rr.com

NYC33

Anon

I don't care

If the HD channels won't see a bump in the bitrate.These clowns don't upgrade their infrastructure thus the TV experience is terrible.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

Well...

While I'm happy to see that people here aren't buying into TWC's press release propaganda, it still perturbs me that their aggregate ISP rating here at DSLR is so undeservedly high. I read a lot of "only good option I have" comments from people giving TWC high marks, but that's not exactly accurate. Being the best of the worst doesn't make you good.
chris_dfw
join:2001-07-18
Dallas, TX

chris_dfw

Re: Well...

I think they would need one of these

»www.hitrontech.com/doc/p ··· heet.pdf

To get the top speed
ncwred
join:2014-01-31
Austin, TX

ncwred

Austin ?

I'd expect this to roll out in Austin faster than anywhere else as Google Fiber will already be active in a few neighborhoods this summer. Construction is actually underway right now in a neighborhood just south of the downtown. Unlike ATT Giga (which will never be in more than just a handful of newer subdivisions), Google Fiber will be built everywhere in the city.

300/20 for $60 might be reality... at least here.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

You sheep lap these press releases right up, don't you? TWC has been promising a 6 tuner DVR for how long now? And their 100 meg upgrade...... that still rolling out at a blistering pace? They are just pumping their chest with these press releases and hoping for a big buy out price, nothing more. At the end of the day when their target price for a buy out is not met, these upgrades will vanish in the wind.

drdroo
Premium Member
join:2007-10-09
Bangor, ME

drdroo

Premium Member

Need more Upstream

I have the 30/5 service now. If I could have 30/10 or 30/20, I wouldn't much care about getting more downstream.

When they rolled out 30/5 here, it was a happy day for me, because it meant fewer road trips to the 170mbit line at the fiber hut to do large uploads. A little more upstream and I'd be quite happy about my service.

That said, my 30/5 service still beats my 5/1 DSL that went out 25 (literal) times a day.

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC

JE

Premium Member

Overthinking Downstream

TWC is over-thinking this whole upgrade the downstream aspect. With the current 5Mbps UPLOAD, that's all they need to worry about.
The current 10,15Mbps downstream COULD BE SCRAPPED, and they can concentrate on the 35,50,75 and 100Mbps DOWN. And make significant improvements on the Upstream channels. That's all they need to do! 5Mbps just isn't cutting it in 2014. Who needs 300Mbps down? Get the upload upgraded, and watch the customers stick to your service!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Re: Overthinking Downstream

said by JE:

TWC is over-thinking this whole upgrade the downstream aspect. With the current 5Mbps UPLOAD, that's all they need to worry about.
The current 10,15Mbps downstream COULD BE SCRAPPED, and they can concentrate on the 35,50,75 and 100Mbps DOWN. And make significant improvements on the Upstream channels. That's all they need to do! 5Mbps just isn't cutting it in 2014. Who needs 300Mbps down? Get the upload upgraded, and watch the customers stick to your service!

elephant in the room is the 5-42MHz max bandwidth available on the return path so they have to work with that and not mention most DOCSIS 3.0 modems only support 100Mbps bandwidth bonded total and that is using 4 6.4MHz 64QAM carriers

jfleni
@direcpc.com

jfleni

Anon

Time Warner Cable Promises.....?

Swindling and gouging by cable and phone companies is not the way to get the Internet services needed in L.A. and everywhere else.

If L.A Dept of Water and Power had invited Huwei to bid and develop the proposed fiber-optic system for all L.A. , it might be starting to appear right now, but DogPatch-DC (Snoops, Smellers & Spies Dept) didn't want that, and accused them of potential spying(!! Pot calling the kettle black?). Upshot: Huwei bailed out and quit trying to work in the US market. Way to Go telephone/cable-crats especially Verizon!

Luc123
@rr.com

Luc123

Anon

I don't believe it.

I have the 30/5 subscription and like other people said I could not care less about the downstream speed. We want upstream 5 Mbps is not good anymore.

They said they would make an upgrade for a long time, why the need of a new press release, why don't they just do it ?
page: 1 · 2 · next