spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-03 12:31:05: A federal judge has refused to throw out a class action lawsuit alleging that GoGo is violating antitrust laws by cornering the in-flight broadband market, resulting in higher prices and poorer service that consumers might otherwise receive. ..

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

Really?

Sounds to me like someone needs a hug.

While GoGo is high priced, it is the better service (latency wise) (versus Satellite like Row44 and ViaSat).

This is the free-market, people.

Wonder if GoGo/Aricell is cheaper to install versus the Satellite services.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·Charter

2 recommendations

Huh?

I don't get it. What is the goal of this lawsuit, to require airlines to install in-flight wifi from multiple vendors? You can only get Coke on a Delta flight. Does that mean someone should sue to get Pepsi? The nature of how these services are installed and maintained specifically means that there will be only one choice on a flight.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Time to sue the Cable Mafia Monopoly

quote:
A federal judge has refused to throw out a class action lawsuit alleging that GoGo is violating antitrust laws by cornering the in-flight broadband market, resulting in higher prices and poorer service that consumers might otherwise receive.
If a federal judge finally recognizes that poor competition leads to "higher prices and poorer service", then it's time to sue the Cable Mafia.

robbyglack

@comcastbusiness.net

how do they determine 'browsing'?

how does viasat tell the difference between 'browsing' and 'anything else'? are ports 80n and 443 open for whatever and all other ports bocked?

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX
reply to mixdup

Re: Huh?

said by mixdup:

You can only get Coke on a Delta flight. Does that mean someone should sue to get Pepsi?

An interesting analogy, since both Pepsi and Coke have exclusive agreements with many of their vendors like restaurants. They can't "pour" both Pepsi and Coke products.

The old SNL skit where John Belushi chants "No Coke, Pepsi" is normal. But, you don't normally have Walter Matthau come into your restaurant and offer you a better deal on Coke.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits
reply to WiFiguru

Re: Really?

In perfect conditions GoGo would be better latency wise. But the conditions are not perfect. Each plane gets about 3-10 Mbps. It doesn't take much to slow down GoGo to a crawl and make the ping rise. Fly-Fi delivers 12 Mbps per passenger. It may have a high ping, but it is actually useable. I am pretty sure most streaming services are actually blocked on GoGo. I have not heard Fly-Fi blocks streaming services.

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX

GoGo is bleeding money, fast

In the first half of 2013, GoGo's operating losses were $19 million, on revenues of $151 million. Adding in other expenses associated with convertible preferred stock, the loss was $105 million.

During the same period in 2012, their operating loss was $9 million, on revenue of $112 million. After the other expenses, net loss was $30 million.

Gogo is still getting only 6% of passengers to sign up for the service on any flight equipped with WiFi. I've read estimates they would have to get a 10% signup rate to break even. But the rate is flat in the last couple of years: it was 7% in 2011.

Even if they have a "monopoly", they certainly aren't making any money at it.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 recommendation

Let the market sort this out. No new laws!

If we let government get involved, things will not get better. In-flight broadband is a luxury most of us can live without at this point. You may not have many choices right now, but the choice to buy, or not to buy, is the most powerful force in the market. Things will change organically, if we let them.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to robbyglack

Re: how do they determine 'browsing'?

Packet inspection,unless it is encrypted,can tell whether or not it is an http browser request on port 80 or a SIP VoIP request on port 80.

JGlaz

join:2001-12-05
Clarendon Hills, IL
reply to WiFiguru

No, free market is open competition. The exclusive contracts they've negotiated have locked out competitors, sometimes for years, making open competition impossible.

Competitors can't get a fair break when they know most of the market isn't available and won't be. These exclusive contracts are probably what is being targeted - breaking the monopoly is probably what is needed to bring down pricing and allow other businesses in.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Ridiculous...

Cornered the market? What a bunch of baloney. No one's forced to use the service.

»youtu.be/uEY58fiSK8E

WiFiguru
Premium
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to JGlaz

said by JGlaz:

No, free market is open competition. The exclusive contracts they've negotiated have locked out competitors, sometimes for years, making open competition impossible.

Competitors can't get a fair break when they know most of the market isn't available and won't be. These exclusive contracts are probably what is being targeted - breaking the monopoly is probably what is needed to bring down pricing and allow other businesses in.

Still the free market. The airlines can go to whomever they want. In this case, GoGo must've had a better product -- therefore, they dominate.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

I don't get it

What are we supposed to do? Have half a dozen blisters installed on every plane so people can choose the service they want to use, while the airline pays more to haul all that crap around? This whole thing just makes no sense. Gogo already competes, and looses most of the time, to magazines, audiobooks, books, and other things that you can spend your time doing on a plane that work a lot better than the internet.

Kasoah

join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Ridiculous...

Nobody is forced to use the Internet but it's a neccesity nowadays. I doubt anyone would think that 15 year ago.

kfsutops
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Tampa, FL

Great

Now the government wants to force upon us another option for inflight Wi-FI. Which will also be overpriced, slow, and I still won't pay for.

Nobody pays for this stuff anyway....
--
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to WiFiguru

"it is the better service (latency wise)"

The latency is awful. It swings from 50-60ms to 5000ms throughout the flight. It's annoying having to reconnect to my VPN over and over. In the past it was some what better but on my last couple of flights it's frustrating.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to WiFiguru
"GoGo must've had a better product "

No, just better terms.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

Still the free market. The airlines can go to whomever they want.

That is the crux of the plaintiff's argument; Gogo subverted the free market with their long-term agreements with terms that limit competition. There is no determination of which product is better because other companies *can't* get into the market.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to kfsutops

Re: Great

said by kfsutops:

Now the government wants to force upon us another option for inflight Wi-FI. Which will also be overpriced, slow, and I still won't pay for.

Methinks you didn't read the article or didn't quite understand what you read.

The government isn't doing anything other than providing a venue and federal judge to decide a civil suit headed by one James Stewart, with other parties (the et al part) petitioning for class-action status.

There is no bill introduced before Congress, there are no NPMs before the FCC. This isn't the government.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
reply to WiFiguru

Have you actually used GoGo in flight?

Latency is not the be all end all determining factor in communications link usability.

Low speed and poor throughput hampers most user applications much more than latency.

WiFiguru
Premium
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
said by viasatguy:

Have you actually used GoGo in flight?

Latency is not the be all end all determining factor in communications link usability.

Low speed and poor throughput hampers most user applications much more than latency.

You're obviously biased (Username).

What are you using in air? Netflix?

In-Flight WiFi was only to be used for browsing/email. That's it. It works well.