dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-04 10:23:17: Cable overbuilder Grande Communications recently announced that it would be revising its internet tier speeds and pricing (for both internet-only and bundled service) for residential users across its footprint, which includes parts of Austin, San Ant.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

What is the catch

Somewhere their has to be a catch. usage caps? Bandwidth costs money and having this kind of connection " 110M" has somewhere a catch.
In our world $3 dollars a meg is the real cost for a true connection.
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

borka

great prices

Those are some really good internet only prices!

I would be very happy with a 50meg connection for $45! but here in Comcast land a 50meg internet only is $75
borka

borka to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

Re: What is the catch

This is a residential connection, $3/meg does not apply. those are more like business pricing.

by your logic googles 1Gbit connection should cost $3000 instead of $70 ?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic
Weak HD lineup

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx to borka

to borka

Re: great prices

said by borka:

Those are some really good internet only prices!

I would be very happy with a 50meg connection for $45! but here in Comcast land a 50meg internet only is $75

Indeed! I pay $60/month to Cablevision for 18/5 service. There was a time when Cablevision was leading edge. Not any more...

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

TAZ to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

These aren't dedicated circuits. Neither is GFiber.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

Amazing speed and price points

I can tell I'm not in a competitive market since these kinds of speed+price options for internet are not available to me.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20 to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

There's got to be a catch.
I mean, a cable operator, with a 10:1 ratio across the board. Decent range of speeds and prices.

Ryan in Waco
@grandenetworks.net

Ryan in Waco

Anon

Grande is Great

I've been meaning to write a review for Grande. They really are great. I've had them for years for home internet and recently switched my TV service over too (from Dish). The prices are very competitive. No caps that I am aware of. Netflix and YouTube always work great, even during primetime hours. Their support is fast and competent. And for DVR services they use TiVo Premiere. They really have to be one of the better MSOs in the entire country. If you are in their footprint and are still using TWC, you really need to reevaluate your choice.
alexintexas
join:2003-01-11
San Antonio, TX
Netgear CM500
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi200

alexintexas

What difference does this make for anyone?????

1. Grande DOES NOT compete directly with TWC in any market that im aware of!!!

2. Grande is as limited in footprint as is UVerse and GFiber

3. Grande's availability is mostly available in apartment/condo communities where NO other provider is allowed ie: UVerse, GFiber, TWC.

so again what difference does it make?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx

said by n2jtx:

Indeed! I pay $60/month to Cablevision for 18/5 service.

mediacom "launch" 3M/256K = $30/mo + $5 modem rental. vs grande's 15M / 1.5M - $34.99 makes me a sad dragon

proof to me that we need competition (and no, i dont count sat or cell as "competition" )

Ryan in Waco
@grandenetworks.net

-1 recommendation

Ryan in Waco to alexintexas

Anon

to alexintexas

Re: What difference does this make for anyone?????

Not true. Grande competes directly against TWC in Corpus Christi, Austin, Waco and Dallas. I'm not sure about their footprint in SA, but maybe there too. Grande has a substantial footprint in many of those markets. It is not just a few high-end developments like Gigapower.
Ryan in Waco

Ryan in Waco

Anon

Grande is Great

I've been meaning to write a review for Grande. They really are great. I've had them for years for home internet and recently switched my TV service over too (from Dish). The prices are very competitive. No caps that I am aware of. Netflix and YouTube always work great, even during primetime hours. Their support is fast and competent. And for DVR services they use TiVo Premiere. They really have to be one of the better MSOs in the entire country. If you are in their footprint and are still using TWC, you really need to reevaluate your choice.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx to alexintexas

to alexintexas

Like Ryan said, Grande competes head-on with AT&T and TWC in places like Austin. Yes, in some cases Grande has apartment complexes locked up, and they've probably got a smaller footprint than U-Verse VDSL in the cities they serve. But it's not nearly as vanishingly small as GFiber or GigaPower.
iansltx

iansltx to Ryan in Waco

to Ryan in Waco

Re: Grande is Great

I wish I could get Grande, but I'm too far north. Technically there are apartment complexes north of me that have Grande (likely as the exclusive provider; I was at one for the 'bowl on Sunday) but there are relatively few of those.

It's really agitating when I have to SSH tunnel to get my high-end TWC connection...which Grande now sells for $44.99...to stream YouTube without stuttering. From what I've seen, Grande doesn't have this issue.

GFiber user to TAZ

Anon

to TAZ

said by TAZ:

Neither is GFiber.

Citation please? We have been told in KC it is dedicated single mode from the hut to the house. From the hut to the backbone it is multiplexed 32 way on one fiber. Each user has a dedicated virtual circuit on the 32 way split.

If you have some other info please post
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
They are very small and I believe they are privately owned.

SrsBsns
join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK

SrsBsns to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic
said by Yucca Servic:

Somewhere their has to be a catch. usage caps? Bandwidth costs money and having this kind of connection " 110M" has somewhere a catch.

This is the result of competition, no catch. Ever lived in Austin? You can take your pick between 4 electric companies.

TAZ
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

TAZ to GFiber user

to GFiber user
said by GFiber user :

Citation please? We have been told in KC it is dedicated single mode from the hut to the house. From the hut to the backbone it is multiplexed 32 way on one fiber. Each user has a dedicated virtual circuit on the 32 way split.

The last mile may be dedicated, but beyond there, it is not. I've seen various claims about the last mile technology used. Some claim it's WDM-PON, others claim it's straight-up GigE to each user over a dedicated strand. Since WDM-PON isn't really mature at this point, I'm inclined to believe it's the latter.

Within their network, they do not have 1 Gbps of capacity for every user. It's aggregated and they don't need that amount of capacity. If they actually had it, the price would be more like $2000-$3000/mo. at best, and that's assuming the savings of high commits would be passed on. (Well, technically, the commits wouldn't be very high if that was the offering. :P)
sgip2000
join:2004-05-05
Hillsboro, OR

sgip2000 to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic
said by Yucca Servic:

Maybe the catch is the 11M upload?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas

Mediacom has competition in some markets. It doesn't make a difference. You can buy 100/100 in Oskaloosa Iowa for ~$38. Mediacom's prices are more or less the same as everywhere else, save for some possible promotions.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Cheaper then Cox

Those packages are all cheaper then Cox offers here.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

3 edits

DataRiker to TAZ

Premium Member

to TAZ

said by TAZ:

The last mile may be dedicated

Its aggregated at the backbone edge router, which is the best kind of dedicated you can get for general access.

You seem to think a dedicated connection means to every computer on the internet.

TAZ
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

said by DataRiker:

You seem to think a dedicated connection means to every computer on the internet.

No.

Does Google have 1 Gbps * number of customers to Level 3, who I understand is their upstream for GFiber? (Hint: no)
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

Meanwhile, back at the Legion of Doom...

...Time Warner can't even roll out their 100Mbit upgrades on time.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Yucca Servic

Premium Member

to Yucca Servic

not 110M[thats 880mbps]
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
They're also a cable overbuilder. That means that they have to compete with an incumbent cable provider -- not just slow DSL -- across their entire territory.
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

So much for the US idea of competition.

I love how so many of the big cable and telcos HATE the idea of competition, yet they also claim they love capitalism. LOL. Hypocrites.

Those are very good values!

Just goes to show you when there is competition the consumer wins.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to TAZ

Premium Member

to TAZ

said by TAZ:

said by DataRiker:

No.

Does Google have 1 Gbps * number of customers to Level 3, who I understand is their upstream for GFiber? (Hint: no)

As long as we understand users are getting a dedicated connection I don't care how you spin it.

Upgrading edge routers is easy. Upgrading the last mile is not. If and when Google needs capacity it can easily be upgraded.

That difference is spectacularly significant, and your attempt to minimize it is both obvious and sad.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to alexintexas

Premium Member

to alexintexas

said by alexintexas:

1. Grande DOES NOT compete directly with TWC in any market that im aware of!!!

2. Grande is as limited in footprint as is UVerse and GFiber

3. Grande's availability is mostly available in apartment/condo communities where NO other provider is allowed ie: UVerse, GFiber, TWC.

so again what difference does it make?

1. Where did you get that idea?

2. TWC is overbuilt in Austin and most of Travis county by Grande and for that matter, a good portion of Texas.

3. Grande is available where TWC isn't exclusive just the same as TWC is where Grande isn't. Both compete with Uverse in a majority of the area.
page: 1 · 2 · next