spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-04 18:24:00: Sprint MVNO Ting was one of several companies to try and disrupt wireless industry pricing last year by incorporating a "free" tier of mobile data service before layering on additional options. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

robbyglack

@comcastbusiness.net

still too complex

they should just meter everything. so much per minute, text and MB

or offer unlimited plans like most other prepaid in US.

the current method of placing you into a 'tier' based on usage is very deceptive since you are paying far more for just going over the current bucket by one minute, text or MB

jhaygood86

join:2005-03-01
Marietta, GA
said by robbyglack :

the current method of placing you into a 'tier' based on usage is very deceptive since you are paying far more for just going over the current bucket by one minute, text or MB

Ting's practice is to give you 5% extra of the current buffer for free, so that 1 minute, text, or MB doesn't place you over.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to robbyglack
and complex pricing does not set well with consumers. They want easy to understand and simple bills.

atcotr

@wideopenwest.com
Not much more complex than other forms of shopping, with the exception of counting megabytes/gigabytes. They can definitely get some attention with the discount pricing. Where they fall flat though is the janky nature of the Sprint network.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

Why Can't Ting Be in T-Mobile's Network?

I will be an instant subscriber, replacing my current T-Mobile SIM card!

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Still reselling Sprint

That's a non-starter.

Unless they're going to start offering device-fee-free, uber-low-cost metered LTE with significant volume tiers, they aren't about to disTinguish themselves from the rest of the 100+ me-too Sprint MVNOs and their leagues of apologists.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
You're right... Sprint severely limits the appeal of Ting. Their pricing model is very attractive to the type of customer who buys an unlocked phone and doesn't want a contract. Yet they have chosen one of the most BYOD hostile networks... maybe even worse than Verizon (I say this due to Sprint's practice of embedding the LTE SIM card in all but their most recent devices. Even Verizon has used removable LTE SIM cards since day one.)

The choices are: Devices sold through Ting, many Sprint devices, and the Nexus 5. No unlocked GSM/UMTS/LTE devices such as the Sony Xperia devices. No Galaxy S4 or HTC One Google Play Editions (although you can get carrier branded models of these devices). Sorry, Ting, this pricing model just doesn't work very well with so many device restrictions.

I actually like Ting's pricing model, but can't get past the restricted handset choices. Not to mention the fact that Sprint still seems to be struggling on the network side, which is unfortunate... with their spectrum position, they should be able to accomplish so much more.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
The other issue is that they charge full postpaid taxes and in ny that adds 18pct to the bill. And 6 bucks to start so it will cost you 9 dollars to just get in the door. I use it for parents phone and they use it in canada which is cheaper than prepaid in canada. Go figure

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1

Someone is lowering their prices?

Nobody even mentions that they have lowered their prices? Nothing, but negative things to say about Ting and Sprint? How about applauding a company for actually lowering their prices and not trying to make up for it on some other jam-it-up-our-ass bogus fee?

I applaud Ting for lowering their prices. They provide great customer service and although it is the Sprint network, it works pretty well for us and saves my family over $100 a month compared to when we were on a Sprint contract.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage

Ting works for me..

I never go over 300 minutes or 100 megs of data in a month. The highest my bill has been is 28.00. Most of the time is 24.XX a month. I like better than Net10, my previous MVNO. Before that it was TMO prepaid, and before that it was VZW, all w/ the same number.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to jimk

Re: Still reselling Sprint

The concept is good - I'm very much in favor of incremental metered pricing plans. But they simply charge far too much for those increments to get noticed, even before one considers the network.

While Sprint's new RF will make them more attractive in the next year, unless they radically drop the $/GB for data, no one will care.

uteck

join:2009-12-30

I switched and was happy before, now even more :-)

I switched last to Ting last year and shaved $100 off my Sprint family plan bill. Even when me and the wife started to play Ingress heavy and used over 2GB of data on the old rate, we still payed $40 less then what I paid every month to Sprint for unlimited that I never used.

For people that use over 5GB of data a month Ting is may be more expensive, but just about everyone else will save money each month. Even with them getting rid of the XXL tier, I will save money compared to the old prices if we use 2.3 GB when we start playing Ingress again, and until then I am saving even more money each month.
--
no .sig found, please restart your browser.

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to brawney

Re: Someone is lowering their prices?

Only T-Mobile is allowed to have positive comments. Any other company only gets negative comments. Nevermind that T-Mobile's coverage is worse than the 3 other carriers. They can do no wrong.
--
to whoever anonymously gave me premium membership... thanks!

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
reply to uteck

Re: I switched and was happy before, now even more :-)

said by uteck:

I switched last to Ting last year and shaved $100 off my Sprint family plan bill. Even when me and the wife started to play Ingress heavy and used over 2GB of data on the old rate, we still payed $40 less then what I paid every month to Sprint for unlimited that I never used.

This is the fact, but people still trash Ting. I have several friends who have switched to Ting and have the same stories to tell - saving money! I tell people its not Verizon, so if you want or need that high quality VZW coverage then don't switch to Ting. But if you're a low volume user already on Sprint, then you will absolutely get the same coverage at a lower cost.

Don't forget, you can also root your phone and Ting doesn't care. You can tether and they don't care. You have control of each phone and are able to disable/enable things like text and incoming or outgoing calls on any given phone at any time, all by yourself online. You can switch a number back and forth between devices yourself; online and instantly. And when you call customer support, a friendly Canadian answers the phone and has the knowledge and tools to help you right then and there.

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
reply to Tsume

Re: Someone is lowering their prices?

said by Tsume:

Only T-Mobile is allowed to have positive comments. Any other company only gets negative comments. Nevermind that T-Mobile's coverage is worse than the 3 other carriers. They can do no wrong.

Every area is different, and T-Mobile is horrible around here. VZW is by far the best. Sprint gets by pretty good; better than most people expect. I've seen new Sprint towers (or antennas on existing towers) go up in rural towns in the last couple months, where VZW was the only signal before. They're not perfect, but competition is a very good thing.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to jimk

said by jimk:

I actually like Ting's pricing model, but can't get past the restricted handset choices. Not to mention the fact that Sprint still seems to be struggling on the network side, which is unfortunate... with their spectrum position, they should be able to accomplish so much more.

That is exactly why I am not with Ting any longer. I attempted to bring my own device (Sprint HTC One) to no avail. They have been "working" with Sprint for over a year and a half. Still nothing. Of course, I blame Sprint.

QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

If it works for you, by all means!

But for me, I use too much data for Ting. I bill between 4 and 6 GB... And in November, I used 11GB. I only have wi-fi at home. And having Sprint as a network would be a non starter for me.

knewman

join:2010-10-21

Sorry, wrong network

I was intrigued by Ting, definitely would have given them a shot if they were on a GSM network. Too bad.

grayem

join:2000-09-22
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

I love Ting

I love that I call Ting and a human in Canada, that I can understand, answers the phone. They don't have a menu system on their customer service system, just people!

I love that I have no contract and can buy any number of older, cheaper, used phones and they work! LG Viper LTE -$60- $80 on ebay. No, its not a Galaxy phablet... thank goodness.

I love that my bill for both of our data active phones is rarely over $60. If someone from overseas comes to visit, I can turn on a spare phone for a month, minimum charge: $6. I can do it online in 3 minutes.

I love that the employees will help you with a rooted phone, even help you root it in the forums. It's your phone, why not?

They spent hours helping me use google voice with Groove IP when the service was just out of beta testing. That reduces my bill with Ting and yet they were having fun trying to figure it out.

Want to tether? Sure, the function is not deactivated in the first place.

I used Sprint for years so switching to Ting changes nothing but the crappy Sprint customer service. I was paying $100 for two non data phones at the time and just was not willing to pay for a smart phone 3 times over during a contract.

The only drawback is that the system is CDMA, and you cant use the phones overseas unless there is wifi, but that is the same with Verizon, no? (never researched it, Verizon has always been too expensive)
Also, I suppose that not being "unlimited" could be an issue if you like watching netflix on your phone on 4G.

txfeinbergs

join:2009-03-10
Allen, TX
reply to elray

I don't know about that. My bill went from $200 on AT&T to $60 on Ting with 3 phones. That more than pays for having to buy the phone outright if you keep your phones for more than a year.

txfeinbergs

Allen, TX

Ting offers free Verizon Voice Roaming

For all you haters that trash the Sprint network and the fact that Ting uses it as a non-starter: You need to get your facts straight. Ting offers free Verizon voice roaming. Therefore, you are actually getting the best network's coverage as a backup just in case the sprint coverage isn't great in your area. Now, that does NOT include data, but at least you don't have to worry about dropped voice calls.

And here is the proof:

»help.ting.com/entries/20959923-R···Charges-

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
Free voice roaming and free texting. Just no data roaming.

I'm this close to moving over all my lines; I have a secondhand iPhone 4S on the service right now that I'm just starting to use. I can't wait until I can get a iPhone 5/5S on the service though so I can get LTE once they turn it on locally.

Sprint will be unlocking handsets per the CTIA order later on this year, so I will have no qualms about buying a Sprint iPhone 5/5S if I can unlock it afterward.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to txfeinbergs

There are always exceptions.

Unfortunately for Ting, there aren't many folks like you who see anything in their offerings.

If you're still satisfied, a year from now when you've paid off those phones and actually realizing savings, please, let us know.

I don't know what your $42/month usage volume exactly constitutes, but odds are there were options with AT&T and TMobile MVNOs which would have let you keep your AT&T phones, at a similar monthly cost.

grayem

join:2000-09-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to txfeinbergs

Re: Ting offers free Verizon Voice Roaming

Oh, yeah, add that to my list!

CST

@comcast.net

Ting Rocks

I switched over to them from Virgin and I'm very happy. I got a deal on an S3 for under $400 through them and I'm paying about $17/mo for service. If I were a heavy data user, I'd have to abandon, but I'm really happy since I use between 75-500MB/mo.

txfeinbergs

Allen, TX
reply to elray

I have been with Ting for 18 months now, so savings being realized. Trust me, I looked around, and no-one else was even close (OR, didn't have the great selection of phones that Ting had). That last point is also important. Ting gets all the latest and greatest stuff (except for iPhones, so if that is your thing, Ting won't work for you obviously).

Big_Tom

@cox.net

Ting saves me money

I've been a happy Ting customer for 20 months now. I switched from an AT&T landline. I am a low volume caller, no text or data usage and have a basic feature phone. This article prompted me to run the numbers and see just how much Ting has saved me. I used the $50 price that I was paying AT&T for the landline service when I switched in May '12 and the actual prices I've paid Ting for service and phones. The savings are actually higher because the AT&T service costs have gone up since I left them.

Bottom line Ting has saved me $612 in those 20 months. Had I not decided to buy a different phone and kept using the original the savings would have been $735.

jmcging

join:2005-08-04
Columbia, MD

Ting saves me money, I don't think I'm that unusual

I had 4 phones on Sprint paying about $265 per month and based on the fact no one was really soaking up data, that seemed crazy. Switched to Ting, brought 4 phones over and bought 1 (leaving that extra old one as a spare - it costs me nothing unless I activate it) and my monthly bills have been around $115 per month (except one month at $187 when wife was ill and turned off wifi by accident and watched a lot of YouTube) Been with them 8 months, so the new Galaxy 4 has been paid off and any month less than $265 is a savings. I'm guessing a minimum of $120 - 140 per month savings for my family based on my usage. And given I was already off contract with Sprint, it was easy enough to change over.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to txfeinbergs

While "except for iPhones" is a huge deal-breaker for the absolute majority of consumers, it is of no concern to me.

I still carry a $10 folding phone; unlike my kin with the ~$800 iPhones (that's what they cost to replace); last year, when "my number came up", as KrK liked to say, and my phone was baptized, I shrugged, shed no tears, and pulled the $10 spare set out of storage...

pacmanfan
Premium
join:2003-11-22
Mansfield, MO
How can it be "a huge deal-breaker for the absolute majority of consumers", when iPhone sales numbers are eclipsed by that of Android phones?
--
"thats what i need, a digi cam for when i need to take pictures. im not going to go around taking photos and stuff." Julio