dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-07 12:36:01: Verizon recently has been backing away from FiOS promotions with a dedicated focus on raising user rates and fees, but today bucked that trend slightly by announcing a new two-year FiOS price lock guarantee for new users. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

wizardry
@ohio-state.edu

1 recommendation

wizardry

Anon

Actual price

$90 will probably become $130 after the TV box fees, TV surcharges, phone surcharges, phone taxes, wireless router rental fee, etc.
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

microphone

Premium Member

How about reasonable pricing for all?

The first thing I look at when seeing an offer is what the price will be once the promotion expires. If it were $5 or $10 more a month then that would be ok but some of these packages can be significantly more expensive at the regular price. I really don't like playing one company against the other in order to keep getting discounts. I want to select a service once, have it work with minimal outages, and know that I won't have to eventually take out a Capital One loan 2 years later in order to pay for it.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

All attached w/ the new $5 router fee

I logged on and offers were for SelectHD not PrimeHD for $90. For those who are not FiOS people Select is like 40 channels and no sports, Fox, etc. PrimeHD does have your sports channels and lots more. It costs almost $14 more (with RSN fees added), so this is different than their announcement.

Also you have to tack the $5 on for the modem fee which makes it like $95 and if you did Prime you are at $110 which is more than I pay today and get free HBO.

3 play phone taxes range from $6-$10, and other fees $5.

So we are talking $125 before even getting a single box.

Not really a deal....for Verizon but still cheaper than TWC in my area.
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic

its all about pulling in "new" users

in the telco/cable worlds its all about pulling in "new" users (those switching in 99% of the cases). Giving breaks for long time customers? Sorry we dont value you. Why dont you cancel, get a promotion from our competitor and come back in a year and we will give you a better rate. Our marketing people like to see churn so they can get bonuses.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to microphone

to microphone

Re: How about reasonable pricing for all?

Yeah the problem I see is the only competition they have is TW in my area who isn't any better - rental fees, crap upload and so on.

DeadSurvivor
Actor (The Asylum / Mill Creek Ent.)
Premium Member
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

Bleh ...

At those prices, my cable Triple Play is cheaper and includes all commercial-type channels.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Meh...

They will move what you watch to the Extreme HD package. They know. They monitor what you watch. They move channels and "add" new ones.

Yep. not a deal.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221

We're paying $14.99/month for TWC internet, standalone; no taxes, fees, surcharges, or anything below-the-line. Yes, bought our own modem.

That is certainly better than Verizon's $60+/month contract rate.
pilozm
join:2004-11-25
Forest Hills, NY

pilozm

But it drives me crazy, that every night, the connection slows to a crawl. i wouldn't mind paying a LITTLE more, for a more resilient connection.
said by elray:

We're paying $14.99/month for TWC internet, standalone; no taxes, fees, surcharges, or anything below-the-line. Yes, bought our own modem.

That is certainly better than Verizon's $60+/month contract rate.

Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Customer Service Fee

The penalty their consumers (potential consumers) pay to actually get customer service and speak with a live rep and have them place the order for them is $120 a year?

Just shows again that companies don't really want us as consumers and don't really want to support us as consumers. They just somehow want to convince us to give them money without them ever actually having to give us anything in return.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to elray

to elray

What speed are you paying for though? The $14.99 rate is priced at 3megs for most of the TWC footprint which does not compare to 6meg DSL which TWC used to compete against and advertise "faster than DSL".
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Re: Customer Service Fee

TWC charges more per month as well- almost $10 for services when you order over the phone, plus $50 for install which online its only $15 with nothing up front Order via phone regardless if you had them or not in most areas- you pay your prorate, first full month, and install all up front. $200 just for standard TV package- 1cable box, plus turbo Internet.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to microphone

to microphone

People have different needs and priorities, what is reasonable for one person may be too much for another. I think everyone wants the least expensive dependable service, but now some have many choices. Providers now offer Internet, Phone, and HDTV, so in my way of thinking you pick the one with the best facilities and that is Fiber and you go down from there. I have been saying this for many years, Fiber is the future especially with Streaming Video, Data Storage, and Retrieval. So then you set up your Providers according to your priorities, if cost is the main one, so be it.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Our connection runs at 2M/1M, which is faster than any of our DSL services were.

It doesn't meet the latest moving-of-the-goalposts definition for "broadband", but it performs admirably for our wants, and indeed, it will stream Netflix and Youtube, for those who "need" such things. Can't speak to online gaming.

bn1221 insisted that TWC "isn't any better" than VZ, citing pricing. I submit that an objective comparison of rates offered would show that TWC wins for the vast majority of internet customers.

If one wants to debate the quality of each network, that's a separate discussion.
waycoolphil
join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

waycoolphil to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: Customer Service Fee

I just switched from Verizon POTS w/DSL to TWC Internet and phone . All they charged me for ($20) was transferring my existing phone number and no install or wiring fees at all. Also no contract with pricing guaranteed for 1 year. The Internet is 15/1 for $34.99/month and the phone is $10/month for unlimited calling in the US and Canada for a total of $44.95/month (plus $2.73 for taxes, fees and surcharges). I bought a Moto modem and everything is working great. BUT--on the first full month's bill that I just got, the Internet is $54.99/month before a $20 discount and the phone is $49.95 before a $39.95 discount for $104.94/month which I guess is the amount they will try to get out of me a year from now when the discounts end. Do they seriously think they will get me to pay more than double a year from now?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

sucks

Verizon's been forced to offer triple play for $79.99 for years.. recently they've even had 2-year hybrid deals where the 1st year is $79.99 and then the next year is $89.99

So $100 for 2 years is more like a price increase in disguise..
Unless they'd like to hike up the kickback (gift-card) to $500 after 2 months. The best deals had the gift card at $300 - $400 depending on which triple play tier you sign up for.

Nevertheless, think wisely now that Verizon is chomping a the bit to hike fees and raise other "incidental" costs which are not included in the "PRICE LOCK".
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to FrontirCynic

Premium Member

to FrontirCynic

Re: its all about pulling in "new" users

That always makes me mad. TWC has 3 play for less then what I pay for tv and internet. AT&T does not even offer dsl for my neighborhood so I am stuck with TWC or nothing. We are 100 miles from all but one tv station so I can't even go over the air.
I did drop the phone I never used when they started to charge the rental fee for a modem that was already 5 years old. Saved over $40/mo.

SoJersySteve
join:2013-07-25
Mount Laurel, NJ

SoJersySteve to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: sucks

What really sucks is that Verizon stopped their FiOS build out so they can only get new customers in select markets (and of course, MY area is excluded from getting FiOS).
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

well, those left behind have a choice.. MOVE-- there are parts of NJ, MD and PA which have Verizon FIOS, or a cable company that offers better pricing. Then, when these municipalities have a ghost town maybe they'll do something about putting in place real competition & providers who upgrade their infrastructure and with luck don't engage in price gouging & anti-consumer behaviors. I do not recommend moving to NY if you can't get a job paying over $50k a year.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

New a Third player

So when FIOS entered monopoly markets with disruptive pricing, people flocked. But since cable companies matched speed (vs cost) and lowered pricing, Verizon stopped being so attractive.
I had them for 2 years and price hikes made me switch to Optimum. While setup box GUI and service reliability is questionable, I find it more cost effective.

Lastly, I got IPTV box so I can watch European channels. So much cheaper and better quality than getting it from cable company. We need american broadcasters to move into that model. Plus smart TVs already use net to get Youtube and other services, there are more and more reasons to cut cable TV

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

Nevertheless, think wisely now that Verizon is chomping a the bit to hike fees and raise other "incidental" costs which are not included in the "PRICE LOCK".

Absolutely right. That's the game they play. They lock in your base bundle price, then raise or add every other possible fee and equipment charge.

Regardless, I was out of contract and just renewed my 35/35 Ultimate triple play bundle. Staying with month-to-month billing most likely would have ended up costing more in the long run and a "new" 50/25 Quantum bundle would have guaranteed a $10/mo increase without an appreciable speed gain. My other option is going back to Comcast. Sadly (and somewhat paradoxically), that would cost me even more and I'd be getting less for my money. It's all about picking your poison!
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl

Premium Member

They all suck

And if you try to move to another cable company they charge you for what verizon doesn't so yuu wind up with the same pricing.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Steely

to Steely

Well, if your with Verizon-- most likely you can tell them what your paying now and see if they could at least MATCH it (for a year).. sometimes cablecos do that to get "new" customers. When they STOP doing that all together, we can without a doubt say they are ALL colluding on price.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to elray

to elray

If you really are paying less than $20/month, I can pretty much guarantee that they are taking a loss on you.

You must have some good competition near you or something different.
suggy2004
join:2004-01-07
Conshohocken, PA

suggy2004

A little to Late: Verizon

been out of contact for 4 years, switched to Comcast for there Free X1 & $89 for the 1st year & $99 for the 2nd.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to wizardry

to wizardry

Re: Actual price

It does, my bundle costs $95/month for Select HD/50 Mbps Quantum and phone and with only 1 HD DVR and 1 HD Box my bill is $132 / month. Try to drop phone and weirdly I'm quoted the price going up $4 to $99/month. I don't like the prices but comcast is so much worse - (quality wise not price wise). After promotion I'm probably going internet only and getting aereo assuming they don't lose their court cases
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to microphone

to microphone

I don't like it either but I've been doing it for years and years. It's the only way to not get totally ripped off by these companies. I try to get away with just threatening to leave, but if I have to actually leave and switch I do. Luckily for me I have both cable and fios available so either option is usable.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by MovieLover76:

I don't like it either but I've been doing it for years and years. It's the only way to not get totally ripped off by these companies. I try to get away with just threatening to leave, but if I have to actually leave and switch I do. Luckily for me I have both cable and fios available so either option is usable.

Like I said, I know people try to get the best deal especially when they think these Big Companies have very deep pockets. These smaller ISP's come in and offer $15-$20 deals for Internet, but they don't have the overhead of the Big Companies like laying the Facilities. You were lucky enough to get FiOS, many Cities and Communities didn't mainly because of your kind of thinking. Going into the future more and more Bandwidth is going to be needed, and people have to set up their priorities. If you want and need Bandwidth, Fiber is the answer and you will have to pay the price.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

2 edits

MovieLover76

because of my kind of thinking? I'm saying I hate the status quo and I do what I need to to keep my priced down. Wishing I had a magical third option of cheap ubiquitous fiber isn't going to create it. If a reasonably priced third option internet package was available I'd take it and use Aereo for TV.

Should I stick with and reward Verizon FiOS simply because they use fiber, regardless of how high they price the service? that makes no economic sense.
I like FiOS but they are treating it as a cash cow, no more expansion and raising rates on existing customers. The Fiber is already ran to my house, and bandwidth is cheap, they don't need to raise rates to fuel some expansion, they just want more money.
Fiber costs less in the long run not more, prices don't need to go up.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by MovieLover76:

I'm saying I hate the status quo and I do what I need to to keep my priced down. Wishing I had a magical third option of cheap ubiquitous fiber isn't going to create it. If a reasonably priced third option internet package was available I'd take it and use Aereo for TV.

Should I stick with and reward Verizon FiOS simply because they use fiber, regardless of how high they price the service? that makes no economic sense.
I like FiOS but they are treating it as a cash cow, no more expansion and raising rates on existing customers. The Fiber is already ran to my house, and bandwidth is cheap, they don't need to raise rates to fuel some expansion, they just want more money.
Fiber costs less in the long run not more, prices don't need to go up.

You are not unique, most people think like you do, price is at the top of the list, That's why most ISP's shy away from Fiber, I worked and retired from a Telco, and believe me they are no Cash Cows. Verizon took a big chance using FTTH, and were criticized heavily by their investors. That's why they stopped deployment when their customers were not buying service, and when they did only the bare minimums. AT&T chose Copper and now they are trying to change, but will have to pay the price and only in select areas. I don't know why people think when Facilities are laid that it's all gravy from there. Yes, it last longer than Copper but there are still maintenance and labor cost. Bandwidth is not like air or space, again you have equipment, maintenance, and labor just to name a few things.

Here again, if you want cheap Internet look for a Cheap Company that will give you the price you are looking for, but not Fiber and all the other amenities.
page: 1 · 2 · next