spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-10 09:05:46: As we noted last week, Verizon Wireless has worked very hard to avoid publicly competing with T-Mobile's recent price moves, the company sticking to a long-standing claim that their network is just so good -- they don't have to compete on price. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

2 recommendations

T-Mobile has unveiled what we all knew..

The major carriers have been screwing us over for many years now. AT&T and Verizon are definitely concerned with T-Mobiles new strategy. In the past, they wouldn't blink an eye if T-Mobile made some changes but clearly the changes they've made are affecting the big two and I'm glad they are.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

2 recommendations

said by gigahurtz:

The major carriers have been screwing us over for many years now.

You mean how you've voluntarily paid for service for years? Nobody is screwing you, but you.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to gigahurtz
That should say AT&T and Verizon have been screwing people over for many, many years, or, in other words, forever! I will NEVER use either of them again and luckily AT&T doesn't even serve my area! The only thing this shows is that they're still screwing over loyal customers even!

If that $60 a month is supposed to be a deal, I hope they lose tons of customers! Just to many other carriers that are cheaper than that!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

C'MON VZW. thats hardly a ground shaking offer

try unlimited data*
*5gb
unlimited talk, text, pix
$45/mo. [no long term contracts for BYOD]
why no tethering? why should you care how i spend my 2 gigs?
this boy don't play the double dip game. GAME OVER. INSERT COIN. Credits 0
--
Despises any post with strings.

hello123454
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Wilmington, DE
kudos:1
reply to openbox9

Re: T-Mobile has unveiled what we all knew..

Exactly...it's like putting your money in a CD and then a year later saying "They really screwed me on the interest rate"...These are the anti business people who feel entitled to everything and anything they want.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

Feeling the pinch Verizon?

Verizon is definitely feeling the pinch from T-Mobile. They just don't want us to think they are.

We'll see that new churn number soon enough.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Thanks but no thanks

T-Mobile offers a family plan with 4 lines, 4 smart phones with 2.5GB of data each and unlimited everything else at $140/month total. With VZ and this plan it is $240. Regular pricing gets you 6GB to share for the same $240, so they are not saving you a heck of a lot. We currently have 4 smartphones all 4G (two have 2GB, 1 unlimited, and 1 6GB) with a corporate discount and one phone on Edge @ $27/month. Total cost is $305/month. T-Mobile looks better and better the more lines you have, but it is always a good deal. The problem is VZ service is superior and I want my wife and kids to be able to dial 911 or get me in the most possible locations. I've got an iPad on a T-Mobile account but I wouldn't consider putting a phone on their system until they greatly improve their coverage.

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

Still Too Expensive

That doesn't look like a deal to me. On Straight Talk you can get unlimited talk and text with some shady unlimited data offer (some users say you get throttled at only 2 GB) for $45. On T-Mobile I get 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 5 GB) for $30.

Where's this great deal they're trying to move people to again?

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH
reply to Kramer

Re: Thanks but no thanks

To my understanding, all carriers will honor 911 calls, regardless of what network you're on. Obviously you won't be able to use Verizon's CDMA network while on T-Mobile, but AT&T will probably help your kids out. Fortunately I haven't needed to try this, but I have an old Verizon phone in the glove compartment of my car just in case. Even though I haven't used it in 1 1/2 years, I should still be able to get 911.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to openbox9

No, I mean like how the wireless industry has colluded in keeping prices high, providing "family data plans" at nearly the same time, adding on additional fees, etc.

I realize I didn't have to get service, but you know as well as I do that the wireless (and cable industry) top dogs are always communicating with eachother and keeping their deals similar. Verizon and AT&T have had similar plans for years and years. Now, since T-Mobile is shaking things up they suddenly start offering better prices "that they've always offered if you ask".

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL

1 recommendation

reply to hello123454
Actually, that's not how it is at all. CDs are based on going rates for those types of funds/accounts. They will fluctuate based on each bank, but overall they won't differ much. Comparing a CD to a wireless account is silly, try again.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to Acuity

said by Acuity:

Obviously you won't be able to use Verizon's CDMA network while on T-Mobile

That's the problem. Calling home in an emergency is an issue too.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to gigahurtz

I think the comparison was more about the complaining that you chose a CD over a better investment. Kind of like choosing a mobile phone service that you deem costs too much. Both lose you money over time against perceived value.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to gigahurtz
So you feel screwed because you voluntarily paid for service that you felt was overvalued?

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

This is BS !!!

I was a VZW Sub since they were launched.. I worked with them on their first mobile network way back before it was Verizon. They never tried to even placate us to stay !

They let us leave with out even a counter offer. They are feeling the TMO heat now. And their standard way of dealing with it is to wait it out and only give discounts to those who complain.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

Shad0wlore
Premium
join:2004-06-15
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T (Business S..
·Charter
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

T-Mobile offers a family plan with 4 lines, 4 smart phones with 2.5GB of data each and unlimited everything else at $140/month total.

Actually, you may also want to point out, that's 2.5g of LTE/HSPA+ for each line... and if you go over, you still get Data, just at a reduced speed. (Which, is usually more than enough to do standard web searches, and GPS Navigation.. even if you're not going to stream music/video on it

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to Acuity

Re: Still Too Expensive

said by Acuity:

On T-Mobile I get 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 5 GB) for $30.

Same here. I ditched Verizon last year because they're just too expensive for what you get. Too little too late with this new "deal".
--
Photos By Greg Strong

SoccerDude

@masergy.com

It's a decent....been around since Sep2013

The plans has at least been around since Sep 2013. »www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1298279/

The price is quite good if you consider is includes discounted phone pricing. Assuming you put $15-$20 aside for the discounted phone price, you pay between $40-$45 for the service. Of course, everyone's needs are different...so may not be great for everyone but if you are paying "sticker" price for Verizon service this can save you $30 a month.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ

Subsidized phone? LTE?

does this include a subsidized phone? ( iPhone5s ?) Is data
LTE or 3G?

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Acuity

Re: Still Too Expensive

said by Acuity:

On T-Mobile I get 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 5 GB) for $30.

Agreed, I have the same plan.. Extra minutes cost just 0.10$, just keep some extra balance in prepaid account to pay for the overage as needed.

So far nothing comes close to T-mobile on value.

I've found that a lot of voice conversations can be replaced by sending/receiving a few texts.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to Shad0wlore

Yep, they are really flexible. That's why my iPad is on their data plan. They even offer free data (250MB) with lots of catches. I haven't been too impressed with T-Mobile so far, but I haven't tested it in many locations. I am getting a LTE signal here, but transfer speeds are sub 1mb. No big deal. Even though VZ told me it was impossible, all I need is a VZ sim card and I can sign on to one of their plans. The iPad AIR works on all LTE carriers.

SoccerDude

@masergy.com
reply to pende_tim

Re: Subsidized phone? LTE?

It's not a plan you can sign up for initially...but you can switch to after some negotiations. Yes, subsidized phone and yes, LTE.

It's basically their "full service" regular plan...at a discounted price.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

T-Mobile offers a family plan with 4 lines, 4 smart phones with 2.5GB of data each and unlimited everything else at $140/month total. With VZ and this plan it is $240.

Keep in mind that with T-Mobile, that doesn't include your brand new phones. Add $25/month for each phone, and you're up to the same $240/month. Difference is, after 2 years, you're no longer paying $25/month per phone and your bill drops $100/month. With Verizon, you continue to pay $240/month, effectively paying a phone subsidy for a phone that is paid off.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Not exactly fair. With VZ you pay $200-300 for each Smartphone up front. Say $800 for a typical family + $35/line activation fee, or you go on their Edge program and pay at least an additional $100/month for 4 phones which is comparable to what TM does. With TM you have the option of buying unlocked phones such as the Nexus or Moto-X at not much more than VZ charges to put you in a 2 year agreement.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

nothing new.. its called a retention offer.

Most carriers have retention offers where they throw in perks to stay with them. Usuaully it includes a killer deal like that, .. previously I used to sign up for T-Mobile, before the days of unlimited and be on a 500 min plan, call retentions immediately and get switched over to a Preferred plan with 1000 minutes for the same price.. that was in 2005 when I'd do that.

Sprint also used to offer cancelers of their SERO plan big perks. Like lifetime unlimited data card plan for $40/mo, when their regular service was like $70 (SERO was $50/mo, which is what I had, so this was an additional $10/mo discount on top of the $20/mo).. They offered me that in 2007, but I still canceled just becausei couldn't make use of the service at the time.
--
www.oregonstatehospital.net - CIA and state of Oregon set me up and targeted me with a microwave weapon, learn more.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to amarryat

quote:
Difference is, after 2 years, you're no longer paying $25/month per phone and your bill drops $100/month. With Verizon, you continue to pay $240/month, effectively paying a phone subsidy for a phone that is paid off.
Unless you're like the majority of phone users and get a new phone every 2-2.5 years anyway. Then there is $0 savings for these types of plans. It really is an accounting trick for the carriers - the phones get "off their books" and you pay for it no matter what.

And if you buy a quality phone that holds its value (hint: iPhone), you can easily sell it on eBay or Craigslist for a coupe hundred $ after 2 years.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

I guess now we know why AT&T wanted to buy Purple so badly.

$39 billion dollars probably was a drop in the bucket when compared to losing $20+ per month per subscriber over the course of ... forever.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to openbox9

Believe it or not but a lot of people need cell service if they want a job.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

markrubi

join:2004-08-11
Edmond, OK

Vz Loyalty plan

This plan has been around for quite awhile. It is basically their prepaid plan on post paid. You can keep your upgrade eligibility. This plan requires a 1 yr contract which at the time of phone upgrade restarts for 24 months. You do not get tethering on this plan either. This is a joke compared to at&t's new plans.

Lewy

join:2013-04-05

Nothing New

I've been on this Verizon $60 plan since July, 2013.