dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-10 10:39:10: A federal court has granted T-Mobile a preliminary injunction against prepaid AT&T subsidiary AIO Wireless, blocking them from using the color magenta in marketing and claiming that the AIO's use of the color magenta intentionally confuses customers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

MagentaSuit
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

MagentaSuit

Anon

[Satire]Breaking News TMO sues hairdressers over Magenta dye jobs

Next up for T-Mobile - lawsuits against hair dressing chains for dying their customers hair magenta without paying a patent fee to T-Mobile.

dsds
join:2014-02-10
Leavenworth, KS

dsds

Landfill central

Down at my local Aio shop, we were told to toss pounds and pounds of card stock brochures and collateral when our prices dropped last week. We've already thrown lots of the purple stuff in the dumpster prior to that.

They've spent countless tens of thousands of dollars producing all this material in non-Magenta stuff that's just gonna end up in the landfill anyway when it becomes Cricket.

Capitalism: Where we sue each other and rape the Earth over different shades of pink and purple.

atter
@comcast.net

atter

Anon

aio

I thought I heard that aio was going to go away. (Seriously.) Was that not true?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

What a waste to build and ditch a brand like that...

AT&T could have picked any other color, but chose magenta to confuse people. Serves them right.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop

You can't use courts to fix stupid.

"use of the color magenta intentionally confuses customers."

A court order isn't going to make your stupid customers smarter.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

3 recommendations

TechyDad

Premium Member

Color Hex Code

Remember, web developers, #e20074 belongs to T-Mobile. Whatever you do, don't put #e20074 in your web site design. Don't use it for the text color or the background color or in a single pixel of a single image. And don't use any color code even remotely similar to #e20074 lest T-Mobile think you are trying to get around their ban on #e20074 use.

Next up, Best Buy owns dark blue and yellow, Verizon Wireless owns red, and so on. To be safe, everyone should just make their backgrounds and text color white. That should steer clear of any color litigation.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

I have no idea....

how it could be considered confusing?
That just seems crazy.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Re: Color Hex Code

Except that has nothing to do with what's going on, but uh, okay?

This is specifically about AT&T going after tmobile. Tmo has done some stupid things regarding attempt to own colors and so has every other company, but for once this situation is legally sound.
FastLearner
join:2003-09-14
Arvada, CO

1 recommendation

FastLearner

Apparently you didn't read this portion: (FYI, Engadget isn't in the wireless industry)
"This isn't the first time T-Mobile has gotten sue happy over what they believe is their color, having threatened to sue Engadget back in 2008 for daring to use the color in a mobile website font."

Mr Guy
@charter.com

1 recommendation

Mr Guy

Anon

T-mobile is PINK

Sorry whenever I ay T-Mobile I never thought magenta I thought pink. magenta and pink are completely different colors.

Yeah EXCATLY the same /sarcasm

raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

1 recommendation

raythompsontn to TechyDad

to TechyDad

said by TechyDad:

everyone should just make their backgrounds and text color white

Think again. I own the color white. Have used it on the paper that I produced since I got tired of greenbar. Even use the color white when I print secret messages on the white paper I created.

Next on my target for a lawsuit is "White Out". They are infringing on my color.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
Since T-Mobile provides Internet if you sell things you make don't put them on the Internet if they have Magenta!

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy

Re: T-mobile is PINK

Except that there are various shades of them and most are posted up with T-Mobile in big letters then some talk about phones following that. Humans are lazy, They see a color, they see T-Mobile, they see talk of phones. Marketing knows this, marketing is about manipulation or we would have it because humans natually gravitate towards things that are better.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt

This article (»www.theverge.com/2014/2/ ··· ess-over) shows the two logos next to each other. The AIO one isn't even remotely close to the T-Mobile one except that the color they used is vaguely similar (though much darker). Nobody would look at the AIO logo and think that was T-Mobile just because they used very similar colors.

Here are the logos next to each other. How is this too confusing?

MoronJudge
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

MoronJudge

Anon

said by TechyDad:

This article (»www.theverge.com/2014/2/ ··· ess-over) shows the two logos next to each other. The AIO one isn't even remotely close to the T-Mobile one except that the color they used is vaguely similar (though much darker). Nobody would look at the AIO logo and think that was T-Mobile just because they used very similar colors.

Here are the logos next to each other. How is this too confusing?

It isn't confusing at all. Only a moron or a moron judge would confuse the 2.
milkman82
join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

milkman82

Poor AT&T

Agreed.. This was AT&T's sad attempt to try and mock T-mobile just a little. Colors don't have to match 100% and either do words.. Could they not have simply gone blue, silver or even Green?

What I don't understand is why AT&T decides it has to spin off another wireless devision? Even their AIO does not offer such a great deal.. I was once a very happy AT&T wireless customer for about 8 years almost.. Yet, in the end, their deals just went sour to me.. Raise rates, offer less, expect customers to stay happy.. Just does not work well that way..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Verizon uses red. T-Mobile uses magenta. AiO (AT&T) tried to thread the needle by going between colors. However, the issue here is AiO's color scheme was designed to be on the edge of T-Mobile's scheme. Combine that with AiO advertising and comparing themselves to T-Mobile and there was an intent to deceive.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller to milkman82

to milkman82

Re: Poor AT&T

they are rolling it into Cricket anyways so they don't care. Tis was just straight up trolling by ATT.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to milkman82

to milkman82
Exactly.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

1 recommendation

Mr Guy to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon uses red. T-Mobile uses magenta. AiO (AT&T) tried to thread the needle by going between colors. However, the issue here is AiO's color scheme was designed to be on the edge of T-Mobile's scheme. Combine that with AiO advertising and comparing themselves to T-Mobile and there was an intent to deceive.

Only ones that would be deceived deserve to get deceived. do you know that red and yellow are the most popular fast foo colors? I guess McDonald's should sue everyone.

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

bmccoy to FastLearner

to FastLearner
said by FastLearner:

Apparently you didn't read this portion: (FYI, Engadget isn't in the wireless industry)
"This isn't the first time T-Mobile has gotten sue happy over what they believe is their color, having threatened to sue Engadget back in 2008 for daring to use the color in a mobile website font."

Sometime in 2020:

Remember kids, if you see any magenta or red crayons, do not use them, or T-Mobile and Verizon may sue you!
*prays to corporations*

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to atter

Premium Member

to atter

Re: aio

Looks like someone didn't ready past the seconds sentence!

"AT&T likely isn't sweating the ruling too much, since they've already decided to scrap the AIO brand to instead use their recently-acquired Cricket and Leap brands to compete in the prepaid wireless space."

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

Those logos are pretty different.

»youtu.be/29wNCH4RBrk
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
exactly. Spot on the money here. It wasn't just the color (which I did note), it was also the plans and being in direct competition.

It's not about how the logo "looks". That wasn't the complaint at all.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat

said by Mizzat See Profilerecently-acquired Cricket and Leap brands to compete in the prepaid wireless space."
[/bquote :]

still waiting on fcc on that tho last time i checked..

TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Nothing new, the USPS owns the color blue they use. The State of Michigan owns the color blue their state police cars are painted, and UPS owns the color brown. Colors are trade markable.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303

FCC approved in Sept.: »www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 13-09-20

Acquisition is supposed to close this quarter, pending DOJ approval
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: What a waste to build and ditch a brand like that...

aio vs. T-mobile
Clearly confusing
openbox9

openbox9 to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

And aio and T-mobiles' aren't?

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy

Re: T-mobile is PINK

Of course they look different when posted right next to each other. It is very clear that AT&T was trying to make AIO look like T-Mobile in some of their marketing materials. T-Mobile is well known for being protective about the color magenta within the wireless industry.

AT&T played with fire on this one and got burnt. Not that it really matters, because AIO will be absorbed into Cricket at some point.
page: 1 · 2 · next