dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-10 16:26:09: Last fall we were the first to report on a new Comcast "Internet Plus" bundle that included 20 channels & HBO and a 25 Mbps broadband line for $40-$50 a month, depending on the market. ..

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

1 recommendation

Yucca Servic

Do it now!

Just cut the cord and say no more Comcast.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

1 recommendation

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

so

Olympic stuff is over-rated... sorry...

They want to make a quick BUCK....

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207

Premium Member

Re: so

It is definitely over-commercialized and inappropriately used for political propaganda. I'm sick of it. I hate subjectively scored contests, of which these games utilize way too much.

I hope the ratings are historically terrible.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

said by jmn1207:

I hope the ratings are historically terrible.

quote:
#NBCFail: Opening Ceremony Ratings Low, Network Busted on Major Edits
Russian President Vladimir Putin wanted to show off as much as he could during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. However, the ratings took a hit in the United States and were down from the 2010 ceremony in Vancouver.

The ceremony managed a 18.5/30 in metered-markets, which is 8% below the 20/30 ratings in Vancouver. The ratings were highest in northern cities: Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston, Salt Lake City, and Denver. Fort Myers, FL was the only non-northern city in the top 10.
»www.breitbart.com/Breitb ··· or-Edits

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Plus the streams are time delayed (I saw a "live" event 1:30PM that actually occurred at 11:30AM). Can't run NBC app on Roku = can't airplay mirror and can't use the HMDI adapted on the ipad to stream to tv. What a crock

pepe4570313
@northwestern.edu

pepe4570313 to newview

Anon

to newview
No doubt due to the high numbers of snowbirds in Ft Myers
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to hayabusa3303

to hayabusa3303
said by hayabusa3303:

Olympic stuff is over-rated... sorry...

OK - but does that make what comcast did OK?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by EdmundGerber:

OK - but does that make what comcast did OK?

I think that Comcast's decision fits nicely with what the Olympic games have come to represent today. Nothing but a big, ugly money grab.
en103
join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

en103

Just another reason...

Why companies like Commiecast are too big/powerful in their britches.
Expand your moderator at work

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 recommendation

DaveDude to en103

to en103

Re: Just another reason...

i am done with them.. and the customer is not important to us policy.

IanKen
@131.107.160.x

IanKen to en103

Anon

to en103
"Commiecast?" do you even KNOW what communism even is? Comcast is the pinnacle of capitalism. They're making a buck anyway they can and will fuck their users as long as those users agree to take it.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

1 recommendation

Millenium

Do all you can, Comcast

Cable can throttle every streaming service out of existence and lock up every content right on the planet -- I'm still not reconnecting the cord.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

dont worry

it will be presented in its live glory on other live streaming platforms like "Justin.tv"

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

It's all about the money, huh Comcast?

Hola - »hola.org/
Tunnelbear - »www.tunnelbear.com/

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: It's all about the money, huh Comcast?

Money is an important part of it.
In 2011, NBC agreed to a $4.38 billion contract with the International Olympic Committee to broadcast the 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020 Olympics, the most expensive television rights deal in Olympic history

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

Xioden

Premium Member

Re: It's all about the money, huh Comcast?

Click for full size
It's kind of funny when you look at how much NBC payed vs compared to what they're offering, and what CBC up in Canada payed (~$80 million CAD) and what they're offering..

The NBC TV coverage is pretty terrible. If it's not one of the events that gets better ratings, they aren't showing it. Even early AM it's just live coverage of the stuff they're showing during prime time. Let's also not forget that most of the time they aren't even showing the events but rather the stories of the athletes. Yea, some of them went through a lot or recovered from injury. We don't need the life story of every Athlete and we'd rather actually be seeing some of the events!

The On-demand coverage at least on DirectTV is a complete joke. It's 2-3 minute highlight reels and clips of the American athlete's runs.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Also in 2011 NBC promised more live coverage ... this has NOT come to pass ... not in 2012 and not in 2014.
quote:
NBC wins rights to Olympics through 2020; promises more live coverage
In a break with predecessor Dick Ebersol, new NBC Sports chief Mark Lazarus promises to show all events live rather than saving the best for tape-delayed coverage in prime time.
»content.usatoday.com/com ··· -today/1

In fact, quite the opposite. NBC continues it's hated policy of failing to broadcast live coverage in real time as it happens and "saving" favorite sports for it's taped delay prime time adfest, in order to maximize the ad profits.

NBC also shows it's political leaning by editing key anti-discriminatory comments from IOC president Thomas Bach. no doubt so they don't aggravate their advertisers, which they later claimed was for "time constraints.
quote:
NBC Cuts Anti-Discrimination Comments From Olympics Opening Ceremony
As Deadspin reported, NBC cut that part of Bach's statement out of its broadcast—a strange choice given Russia's very publicly homophobic policies.

It was a choice made even odder by the fact that NBC had done a full segment on Russia's anti-gay laws the night before.
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 929.html
No doubt this editing was done so they didn't aggravate their advertisers, which they later claimed was for "time constraints. Apparently hard-hitting news is DEAD at NBC.

All in favor of the money.

I have no problem with them making money ... but NOT at the expense of REAL sports and REAL news.

Datdude
@comcast.net

Datdude

Anon

This is how it should be

Comcast's Olympic live streaming comes from the NBC Sports live extra app which is associated with not just NBC but the NBC Sports Network and the Golf Channel. The NBC Sports Network only comes with the Digital Starter and above pakcage so why would users in lower packages get access to that material? It would be like someone who doesn't have HBO getting upset because they can't use the HBO Go app. You get what you pay for. These customers can still watch whatever Olympic coverage is on the regular NBC station. If they want to stream coverage from the NBC Sports Network then they can upgrade to a package that has the channel.

NoFreeLunch
@comcast.net

NoFreeLunch

Anon

Re: This is how it should be

said by Datdude :

Comcast's Olympic live streaming comes from the NBC Sports live extra app which is associated with not just NBC but the NBC Sports Network and the Golf Channel. The NBC Sports Network only comes with the Digital Starter and above pakcage so why would users in lower packages get access to that material? It would be like someone who doesn't have HBO getting upset because they can't use the HBO Go app. You get what you pay for. These customers can still watch whatever Olympic coverage is on the regular NBC station. If they want to stream coverage from the NBC Sports Network then they can upgrade to a package that has the channel.

+1 There is no such thing as a FREE lunch. No matter how much a person thinks there should be.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

You and Datdude should disclose what everyone here knows, your ties to industry. This is exactly why we need Net Neutrality, why the TWC deal should be blocked and why the internet needs to be regulated. Let me remind you that they are blocking content to the Unites States Olympic Team coverage. How patriotic of them

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

They're right though. This is no different than HBO only offering its streams to HBO subscribers. You'd be a fool if you thought that NBC, now owned by a pay TV provider, would cater to cord cutters. The title of this article is slightly misleading, it makes it sound like Internet Plus customers are being singled out. They are not. Basic broadcast-only customers on other providers will have the same problem.

Sports, in general, are pay TV's golden geese. People can wait to see shows on Netflix/Hulu, but they pay obscene amounts of money for live sports. Check out the pricing for NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, etc. I'm not sure why you think the "United States Olympic Team coverage" would be any different.

NoFreeLunch
@comcast.net

NoFreeLunch to rit56

Anon

to rit56
said by rit56:

You and Datdude should disclose what everyone here knows, your ties to industry.

Can't speak for Datdude, but I have NO TIES to cable, telecomm, or content industries. I worked for a railroad before I retired.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

Facts don't matter. By not toeing the majority line, you're automatically a shill in the eyes of many DSLR readers.

Datdude
@comcast.net

Datdude to rit56

Anon

to rit56
said by rit56:

You and Datdude should disclose what everyone here knows, your ties to industry. This is exactly why we need Net Neutrality, why the TWC deal should be blocked and why the internet needs to be regulated. Let me remind you that they are blocking content to the Unites States Olympic Team coverage. How patriotic of them

I'm a high school History teacher

anon
@wideopenwest.com

1 recommendation

anon to NoFreeLunch

Anon

to NoFreeLunch
this why a cable provider should not own a network
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W

said by anon :

this why a cable provider should not own a network

What? Every cable network that offers streaming, whether they're owned by a cable provider or not, requires you to actually subscribe to a cable package that contains their channel before they'll let you stream. Every. Single. One.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to Datdude

to Datdude
I bought a leaf antenna , im just about to cut the cord forever.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Datdude

Premium Member

to Datdude
said by Datdude :

You forget that Comcast owns Golf Channel and the entire NBC empire. They literally have zero retrans fees for NBC content or if they do pay them they are merely paying themselves to hook the tax write off.

Rav
@comcast.net

Rav to Datdude

Anon

to Datdude
I have HBO and Comcast specifically blocks my Roku from using HBO Go... Guess I really have a reason to be mad then!

Knowing
@comcastbusiness.net

2 recommendations

Knowing

Anon

VPN

Just get a VPN, Watch BBC or CBC streams...Free and much better quality and quantity then NBC.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Re: VPN

said by Knowing :

Just get a VPN, Watch BBC or CBC streams...Free and much better quality and quantity then NBC.

You want use a free VPN such as the "Hola" extension for Chrome. Totally free.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Knowing

Premium Member

to Knowing
any links to the streams? I tried looking yesterday.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Switch to DirecTV

I don't give Comcast any more money than I have to.

Bad enough you have to buy cable to get cheaper internet, but if you buy standalone internet then you are flushing money down the toilet for nothing.

Like I've been saying all along, Comcast needs to be forced to divest from the content business and be limited to distribution.

My aunt just moved to Georgia and she said Comcast is the only internet, she bought the economy 1.5 package and DirecTV.

••••••••

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA

Sterling

Premium Member

Reason

They are blocked from it because by default they are not subscribed to the needed program channel, which if i recall is NBC sports, a NBC alleviated channel which is in the economy does not count as most of them are airing there normal programming. So only way they'll get it is if nbc allow customer whom are not subbed to nbc sports to stream it. i would imagine otherwise most other providers are licensing for its use in cases were they don't have nbc sports in the lineup
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

It's NOT a free lunch, the advertisers are paying for it.

"+1 There is no such thing as a FREE lunch. No matter how much a person thinks there should be. "

You must work for Comcast / NBC.

The fact is the amounts that advertisers are paying more than cover the costs. Heck NBC is only RETRANSMITTING what Russian TV is sending them (except for the NBC studio crap, which isn't worth a crap anyhow)

Look at what Canada is getting right over the free airwaves at NO extra cost.

NBC / Comcast executives are a bunch of greedy asshats .
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W

Re: It's NOT a free lunch, the advertisers are paying for it.

said by 63475675:

The fact is the amounts that advertisers are paying more than cover the costs.

Ummm, no: »insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/ ··· s-money/

They lost $200 million in 2010, and barely broke even in 2012. Haven't seen anything about 2014 yet, but it won't be any different.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

Re: It's NOT a free lunch, the advertisers are paying for it.

said by Jeremy W:

Ummm, no: »insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/ ··· s-money/

They lost $200 million in 2010, and barely broke even in 2012. Haven't seen anything about 2014 yet, but it won't be any different.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I remember

When I had big dish I watched the Olympics 24/7. I watched it live when it happened, and the retrans. NBC RUINS every event they cover which is why I stopped watching the Rose Parade, and more. I stopped watching the Olympics for the same reason: to much NBC and not enough event to be bothered. I don't even watch very much anything on NBC.

I will say this about Sochi, it was one of the nicer opening events I've seen for quite a while.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

Nothing to see here...

They did the same thing during the Summer Olympics. I thought the system was broken, but when I wasn't able to tune in to the designated cable channel, the jig was up. SMH

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

The other side of the net neutrality coin

How does NBC know what type of customer you are?
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

Re: The other side of the net neutrality coin

said by jjoshua:

How does NBC know what type of customer you are?

It's not NBC that's the problem; it is Comcast. They can tell what TV tier you are on and block channels as appropriate. I went through the same thing with the ESPN (online live streaming was blocked on Digital Economy). They make you sign in using your cable email address. If you are on the appropriate network and tier, it works. If you are on the lowest video plans, you will not get to see the live video (you may get error messages also).