spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-11 10:45:25: Time Warner Cable seems intent on telling its customers what their Internet speeds should and should not be. As this website noted about a year ago, Time Warner Cable's CEO proudly proclaimed that none of his customers want 1 Gbps service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

en103

join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

I think TimeWarner needs to clarify their statement.

Time Warner Cable Still Insists Users Don't Want Faster Speeds

actually means

Time Warner doesn't want to invest to give users faster speeds.... Time Warner is happy to charge you more for what you already have.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Bill's title is misleading

last week they tell us they will triple speeds in NYC & LA with MAXX
now they say we don't really need the speed?

this article quote is about 1,000mbps - something no residential customer needs.
why do you think google is going after hosts running out of people's houses.

the truth is what TWC customers need is more upload so we can fully enjoy cloud storage.
I can't wait to get affordable 10mbps upload next year once MAXX kicks in here.

your name

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Re: Bill's OP title is misleading

Do the customers want higher speeds or just the city government for development reasons?

phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

build it, they will come..

good gods Time Warner...
the people want faster speeds, but drop the caps and the excessive prices.
people will change the world...

Two Faced

@209.49.164.x

Those crazy commercials

In my area, they are advertising the crap out of their 100Mbps Internet even though it is only available in what two or three cities. Yea TW, you are full of it.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

I Agree (sarcastic comment)

I agree 100%. I want my bill tripled, low caps and low speed. I am sure that is what TWC focus groups told them. Please please please take my money and give me less in return for it.

Sometimes I wonder where they grow and raise people who lead these companies.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

cowboy
So Much For Subtlety
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Louisville, KY

re: Time Warner Cable Still Insists Users Don't Want Faster Speeds

What they mean is that we don't want to pay their outrageous rates.

I am full-time work-from-home (programmer) - which means I live and die by my ability to VPN into work (on both sides of the continent, whilst I be in the middle of it).

I had no choice but to go business class for the SLA, QOS, etc.

So I'm paying $230 for 20/2 in Louisville

They just sent me notice for a nice bump - 35/5 ... the additional upstream would be a huge improvement for me! but they want $299 with a multi-year commitment :-(

I am actually considering dropping my business cable to the lowest tier, and bundling residential service at the highest level (since I already have residential TV with them).

I am capable of bonding the two links, and this would save me a significant amount of money and headache. I don't know if QOS would be heavily degraded in this kind of setup, and latency is a huge factor for my work.
--
Richard Nelson

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

What they really want is slower speeds!

»www.slashgear.com/new-internet-t···316242/?

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Disillusional as ever

TWC charges too much for their terrible service, even if they offered 1Gps where I live, I doubt I could afford it with their current rates. True capitalism would have seen this company destroyed a long time ago, but thanks to oligopoly's and a very poor FCC very little will ever be done for the people.
--
No trees were harmed by this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

Give Us Caps!

Judging by Time Warner Cable's attempt to impose a 5GB cap on all users, their backtrack, and then their re-introducing it as "opt-in for a 5GB cap with overage fees and we'll take $5 off your bill", Time Warner Cable must think user's are clamoring to have their Internet service degraded for a token savings. (One that would disappear once you went over your cap by a few GB.)

It only makes sense, then, that they'd think customers wouldn't want 1Gbps. At those speeds, you'd hit your monthly cap in under a minute. We definitely don't want that and therefore (by applying Cable Company Logic ™), we definitely don't want 1Gbps speeds.
--
-Jason Levine

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Yes ... please keep my pipeline clogged

No ... please do not give me faster speeds. Thank you for finally listening.

I would rather keep exactly what I get now ...

a) zero options in my neighborhood other than your company ... this way I can feel safe and secure that I don't have to think about choices

b) pay top dollar to have television constantly stalled out ... I particularly enjoy the "please wait" note on a black screen for a premium channel that I pay extra to have in my line up right in the middle of the show.

c) I love my voip phone staying stuck on "we are re configuring" ...

d) At night ... when everyone else gets on our pipeline ... I love calling neighbors and asking them hey ... is your internet connection any faster than mine ... I need to do xyz ... maybe I can come over and try it from your computer

e) I adore having all kinds of fees tacked on to service that is sub par

f) I enjoy all the tracking put on my account. Maybe you would like to activate my cameras as well so you can further market to my every move. Keep sending me a cable offer every other day in my snail mail too ... I love seeing what it is "I COULD BE GETTING" ...

g)oh .. and looking at my line monitoring graphs and wonder if I am looking at a flat lined heart monitor instead of my cable service performance.

Yes ... please ... keep me in the slooooooow lane.

Sigh
--
doing the right amount of wrong

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to cowboy

Re: Time Warner Cable Still Insists Users Don't Want Faster Speeds

Welcome to the club.
I don't think having 'business class' helps much - other than to get someone on the phone.

I've had AT&T in the past, and TWC currently. When there's issues - 99% of the time - its a node, fiber cut or outage with a router or DNS which affects all the customers in the area. Eg. TWC's last outage over here put out most of the local businesses (city library), due to a fiber cut. It would be better to have a cable + alternative carrier (dsl or wireless) than to have 2 of the same carrier IMHO.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

I would *love* to have 15/2...

if that were the speed 24/7/365 and it cost less than $50 ($40 actually).

How 'bout dat? (too hard? ...how 'bout 10/1? ...no? [pity--it was easy 5 or 6 years ago])

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to your name

Can't it be both?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to cowboy

Have you thought of residential and a LTE backup solution on your phone or hotspot. That is what I do and saves the company significant money. Both are under $100 for the month.

The lines themselves are no different than residential, nor the equipment.

In Verizon (we have both in my area), they use a different ONT with a bigger backup battery for phone, but it too doesn't help internet.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to your name

"Do the customers want higher speeds"

Not really. They just want what meets their needs today at the best price they can get.

"or just the city government for development reasons?"

They have been told that if you don't have a Gig network in your city you will become the next Detroit. That's what EPB kept telling our City Council. While I can see the upside to having high speed internet available cities are not going to go the way of Detroit if they don't get it in the next 5 years.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

Yeah, I would go back to dial-up if I could

I really miss that modem connecting beep, boop, beep, beep, boop, beep, beep, grind, buzz, buzz, boing, boing, squeal, then silence alerting me that now I can go get a cup of coffee while Yahoo loads.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to en103

Re: I think TimeWarner needs to clarify their statement.

The issue is that up to 100 DS is perfectly fine for the average household, however the UPLOAD (5) is killer once cloud applications start to take hold.

My backups, images, etc would take forever if I had a 100/5 link, whereas I sit on 50/25 which is quite good for cloud apps, but will need to get better...

So will UL still lag or they sit this out and wait until next DOCSIS rollout to address?

The entire industry had concentrated on download, but as applications become more interactive, upload will need to be balanced.

The larger issue is caps, because bigger pipes w/ lower caps is counterproductive.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to your name

What does that matter?

Customers and the city will both benefit so provide what they are seeking or eventually the city will do it for them (as they should).

cowboy
So Much For Subtlety
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Louisville, KY
reply to elefante72

Actually, that is an interesting option that I had not considered.

My phone is vzw, unlimited data - not something I'd want to run 24x7, but would suffice for emergency - or high latency times.

I looked at DSL, but here 'tis AT&T, and 3M/768K? - I'd really rather not have to live with that as a backup
--
Richard Nelson

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

We all want more speed.

But economics is says... nope 20/2 is good enough.

waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

I'm a TWC Internet customer...

and I agree with them. I don't want 1Gig service from them. They would probably charge something like $1,000/mo for it!

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

The US will fall way behind...

...unless we all get in touch with our legislators and DEMAND that they get the FCC to declare all the wired connections common carriers, and invest in fiber to the home in all cities. Stockholm in Sweden decided 20 years ago to do it and now residents have fiber to the home for 30 lousy bucks a month, and have 5 companies to choose from. The city leases its capacity to those companies. Its investment paid for itself in a few years and now the city makes money off of its fiber network. IT CAN BE DONE.

But, alas, our political system is largely bought and paid for, so it will be extremely difficult to knock the cable monopolies off their perches.

anonomeX

@comcast.net
reply to cabana

Re: Yes ... please keep my pipeline clogged

The old scam joke used to be selling swampland in Florida or somewhere (or maybe a bridge on NY). Now... it's an Internet connection that works reliably for the things you want to do (well, except it's reality [ISP SOP] now and not a joke).

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Hope Comcast gets the NC market becuase time warner cable sucks

So you say on one hand in two just two markets your going to give them an upgrade called "maxx" and to the rest of your markets you tell them FU.

If this is not proof that they are full of smoke, then I don't know what is.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Wait wait did somebody told this to Pdiddy?

LMAO gotta love TWC and their commercials about "we have faster speeds then fios" yet here comes "users don't want faster speeds" talk about double talk to the MAX!!!

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

You guys should sue them over that claim or better yet Verizon should sue them. Had no idea they said that as well. Though being in a TWC only area can do that.

They could care less about the RDU area.

joeMI

join:2006-08-15
Mcmillan, MI

I am a TWC customer

So what do I need...

I need the 30Mbps speed that I'm paying for.

A year ago, we'd get congestion on Sat/Sun nights around 9:20 PM to 10:30 PM. You could set your watch to it.

Now, we get 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM slow downs and fluctuations most evenings. And, it's not a specific site (i.e. Netflix). I have noticeable browsing slow down to multiple web sites.

Bottom-line:
1. Consistent download speeds, even during peak times.
2. Faster uploads to take advantage of cloud storage.
3. For me, 50Mbps down with 25Mbps up would be sweet.

So just do it!
--
HughesNet | BI-700 | HN9000 | .98m/2W | 180SS | 42NPW | 5Mbps/1Mbps

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19

1 recommendation

reply to battleop

said by battleop:

They have been told that if you don't have a Gig network in your city you will become the next Detroit. That's what EPB kept telling our City Council. While I can see the upside to having high speed internet available cities are not going to go the way of Detroit if they don't get it in the next 5 years.

And gigabit won't turn your city into Mountain View or San Jose, either. In fact, broadband in Silicon Valley isn't that great. There is fiber, but very limited. For the most part, it's a U-verse/cable duopoly.

The whole premise is wrong. You do not get gigabit to make your city more competitive. You get it to make the city more pleasant for people to live in -- sort of like having nice parks or a well-stocked library.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

The city leaders think that Gig=High End Tech jobs. I live in the Gig city and we're all waiting on those high end tech jobs to show up.

They think that working on the factory line at the VW plant is high tech. The type of work they do on the line today was really high tech 20 years ago. Today it's just the norm for a auto plant.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.