dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-12 18:36:25: There have been rumors for years that Apple wanted to do something truly disruptive in the TV sector (like a new subscription TV service). ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 edits

IPPlanMan

Balkanization...

The big news here is that Time Warner Cable could go nationwide here. Imagine having all the cable companies compete on a single nationwide platform, over the Internet.

They said it couldn't happen. Look at the carriers and the iPhone.

Steve's thoughts on TV:

»youtu.be/-pSfOKMEbG0

Tim's thoughts on TV:

»youtu.be/IkM1hH-tzmw

»youtu.be/rLyVsT5SCdU

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Re: Balkanization...

TV Everywhere has already allowed multiple providers to stream their channels over IP to multiple devices not directly on their network. Nationwide distribution by many providers is only limited by content licensing.

Some channels are available, not all, which becomes fewer and fewer as you move your connection off of your home connection and then out of the local providers network. A few channels allow nationwide access as long as you have a paying account with a participating video provider.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
ahh the cult of apple !!

Take a look outside the US and you will find that a lot of tv providers have gone IPTV. I have a colombian IPTV box that gets me all the Channels from Colombia. ETB provides me all the colombian content I want at a 1/8th the price of a us service.

Just sucks when my settop died and I had to wait 3 months to return it !!! But the low price for content and the fact I can take it with me anywhere I have a network jack... is just awesome.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

cable card box? rent only box that you need to get from TWC

cable card box? rent only box that you need to get from TWC and only works in TWC areas?
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

Yawn....

The new Apple TV is just a hardware refresh. Unless Apple can wave a magic wand and become a nationwide ISP overnight this has little traction. All of the other broadband providers will place anorexic bandwidth limits on any attempt by TWC and Apple to sell cable TV over broadband. Comcast just implemented 300GB caps in it's largest region. If you exceed the 300GB threshold then you are charged an additional $10 for every 50GB on top of your normal internet bill. My family averages 500 GB each month just from netflix/itunes and internet use.
I believe that if Jobs was still alive he would of had the leverage (intimidation) to negotiate a deal with the content providers. Unless you control the delivery system you will play by others rules.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

TWC already on Roku

if you subscribe to TWC over coax
you can get it over a Roku already.

what would be remarkable would be if you could get TWC content over AppleTV without already paying for a TWCable TV subscription over your coax. the problem is that AppleTV could not possible price it to be compelling enough because TWC coax distribution costs are only a fraction of what is must charge it's subscribers to recover the cost of it's content.
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

They mean Charter Communications

Time Warner going to get bought out/

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Re: They mean Charter Communications

This was their desperate attempt to get Apple's money to fight Charter's hostile takeover.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615 to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Not by who you think »www.theverge.com/2014/2/ ··· er-cable
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Yet another non-event...

No matter how much Apple, Google, Intel, et al, "want to do something truly disruptive", it isn't going to happen, unless they pay for the content.
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

Re: Yet another non-event...

realistically the only company i can think of that has hardware end points (PS3/4, TVs) and content is Sony..

They have lots of content, if you look at their home turf of Japan, they even have TV series they either produce or distribute. Though in the states they only really have movies/music.

but ya, that would be the one company that could do it with all the crap they have.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Now watch them get all the patents and then sue ...

All those other "copiers" like Roku, Chromecast, etc etc

decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

caps happen

Won't ever take off unless the fcc actually grows a pair epa style and starts a smack down on falsely placed caps and overages.. Streaming and cloud computing is on a small lifeline thanks to pure greed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Guess we'll have to see what Comcast has to say about that....

Given their past actions, I'd think it's safe to say this is going to be iced really quickly.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Comcast nationwide...

I guess it's Comcast that will go nationwide?

Hopefully not back to square one in these talks.

The Apple TV is getting more archaic everyday.

Jeezus Apple... Just buy Comcast already and be done with it. Assuming the TWC merger goes through, Apple would own two cable operators.