dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-12 22:48:22: CNBC reporter David Faber is breaking the news on Twitter that Comcast has beaten Charter to the punch and will be acquiring Time Warner Cable in an all-stock deal valued at around $159 per share (valuing Time Warner Cable at around $44.4 billion). ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 recommendations

DataRiker

Premium Member

Really?

Just what we need. More consolidation!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

does this have any effect on current channel offerings? I would be upset if Comcast started yanking HD channels from Time Warner Cable systems plus we have HD channels already announced to be added:
EPIX HD
EPIX2 HD
EPIX3 HD
EPIX West HD
QVC HD
Sportsnet LA HD
Nicktoons HD
Nick Jr. HD
Ovation HD

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

It will be business as usual until it clears regulator approval but i am sure it will especially since Comcast agrees to dump 3 million customers.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

Yeay!

The best outcome.
txfeinbergs
join:2009-03-10
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

txfeinbergs

Why is this the best outcome?
DigitalPkrat
join:2003-12-20

DigitalPkrat

Please not Comcrap again.

I just moved out of their service area and am happy not being forced into a commercial package due to a pathetically low cap. I hope the transaction takes long enough for Google to finish their deployment here.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to etaadmin

to etaadmin

Re: Yeay!

I just hope Comcast dont throw Dallas to Charter like an old bone.

CNN just reported the sale as breaking news.
txfeinbergs
Allen, TX

txfeinbergs to DigitalPkrat

to DigitalPkrat

Re: Please not Comcrap again.

Yeh, I go from having no cap, to a cap now. That is the best outcome?
txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas

I am afraid they will, which will be the worst possible outcome!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to swintec

to swintec

Re: Really?

said by swintec:

It will be business as usual until it clears regulator approval but i am sure it will especially since Comcast agrees to dump 3 million customers.

so you are saying those additions are safe?
motorola870

1 edit

motorola870 to txfeinbergs

to txfeinbergs

said by txfeinbergs:

I am afraid they will, which will be the worst possible outcome!

doubt it lol! They want Comcast Sportsnet Houston Statewide and Dallas is the biggest TWC market in Texas and I don't think they would pass up on that chance.

if anything:

Nebraska, Kansas City, Wisconsin all go to Charter along with California and maybe Hawaii.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

Re: Really?

said by motorola870:

said by swintec:

so you are saying those additions are safe?

I have no clue. We are a ways out from anything happening I think.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to txfeinbergs

to txfeinbergs

Between Charter and Comcast...

Comcast has faster internet speeds and much better TV equipment.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958

Premium Member

said by etaadmin:

Between Charter and Comcast...

Comcast has faster internet speeds and much better TV equipment.

And better/more choices of tiers and customer owned modems and a Direct Support forum here!!
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to txfeinbergs

to txfeinbergs

For people that don't go over the cap (like me) yes it is the best outcome. At least I have hope for faster internet speeds better upload, much better STBs and a clear path to DOCSIS 3.1.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal to txfeinbergs

to txfeinbergs
said by txfeinbergs:

Yeh, I go from having no cap, to a cap now. That is the best outcome?

Agree i hate this!!
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

Why are anti-trust laws in place, and FCC regulations letting this purchase happen?

Seems blatantly anti competitive, and not in the best interest of anyone except a few greedy executives and shareholders.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas

I don't see Charter mentioned anywhere and why it has to be Dallas?
txfeinbergs
Allen, TX

txfeinbergs to etaadmin

to etaadmin

What is their upload speed?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to etaadmin

to etaadmin

yeah charter does have a presence in North Texas but they probably would find a way out of Texas if possible it likely part of the reason why they haven't spent the money to upgrade Ellis County and Denton County systems until now.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned)

This might be good news.

Charter is shit and Comcast is shit; Time Warner is merely a pile of vomit. Either one of them acquiring Time Warner Cable will be the equivalent of turning a pile of vomit into a pile of vomit and shit so this is bad news for Time Warner subscribers. Time Warner subscribers, I only have this to say to you: If you thought having uncapped 100 Mbps service and the most high definition channels of any cable provider in the nation was bad, wait until Comcast rolls out their bandwidth caps and $10-per-50 GB overages onto you. You don't know the meaning of what it's like to have a truly awful cable provider yet.

HOWEVER...

Unlike with Charter, where Charter is a rinky dink little cable company, we're talking about the largest cable provider in the United States merging with the second largest cable provider.

There might actually be some hope of this merger getting blocked by the government like the AT&T/T-Mobile deal. A slim hope, but a hope that wouldn't be present if Charter was the one trying to acquire TWC.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to etaadmin

to etaadmin

Music to my ears! This means Time Warner customers will get better, faster internet, and the added customers putting a strain on Comcast's network means brand new state of the art equipment which will benefit everyone, especially the obligatory free speed tier increases and lower bills all around to pacify current customers. Just imagine every single resident of New York City on Comcast internet! I don't know the math but I think the amount of bandwidth used on a daily basis from NYC alone is twice the amount Comcast in the rest of the country produces in a month. Don't even get me started on Los Angeles.
txfeinbergs
Allen, TX

txfeinbergs to etaadmin

to etaadmin
It was mentioned in one of the news stories that Comcast will sell portions of TWC to charter that it makes sense to do so. This will also facilitate the FCC approving the deal apparently.
rocafellanrd
join:2009-05-04

rocafellanrd

So what about Optimum

Will they sell Time Warner Manhattan to Optimum ?!
txfeinbergs
Allen, TX

txfeinbergs to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. If anything, prices will increase due to consolidation and lack of competition.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to etaadmin

to etaadmin
Comcap has outrageous bandwidth caps and fewer HD channels.

Time Warner's uncapped 100 Mbps looks like a steal compared to Comcast's capped speeds and overage fees. A 300 Mbps connection with a 300 GB bandwidth cap is the equivalent of a 1.5 Mbps uncapped connection. NO THANK YOU.

Have fun with your monthly bills with overage fees in the hundreds of dollars from Comcap in the future because you wanted to watch a 4K movie that month.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

to txfeinbergs
said by txfeinbergs:

It was mentioned in one of the news stories that Comcast will sell portions of TWC to charter that it makes sense to do so. This will also facilitate the FCC approving the deal apparently.

I don't think Comcast will sell Texas systems and Dallas will likely be a top commodity why else would they go for the whole enchilada to sell off Dallas? TWc has heavily invested in the Dallas system so whoever takes it over has a recently rebuilt system.

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
The fed won't allow it. But yes faster speeds are a plus

motorola870
Arlington, TX

to txfeinbergs
said by txfeinbergs:

here is a sticking point for any combination of Charter and TWC in Dallas two incompatible systems one Cisco one Motorola and it would be a mess to merge them.

DarkenMoon
Premium Member
join:2013-11-14
Silver Springs, NV

1 recommendation

DarkenMoon

Premium Member

Well

God help us. Please.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next